I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 660881 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #450 on: February 05, 2015, 12:04:40 pm »

I haven't a clue on how evolution works (except in pokemon) but wouldn't back pain be nonexistant if we did evolve to stand up?

Well if evolution was a person then it'd be a very lazy tinkerer. A problem that doesn't affect the fitness of an individual before it reproduces and raises its offspring doesn't matter in evolutionary terms. Which is why we get so many medical problems in old age, since we're generally done reproducing by then and so there's no selection pressure to eliminate those problems. Which is why vestigial organs, back pain and similar things are a good indication that we did evolve, since they either have no effect on our fitness or occur late enough that it won't affect your children going on to reproduce. If we were created then our creators must have been very lazy or not paying attention when they made us, because there's many obvious things that could be changed to improve humanity. This is probably a gross oversimplification of evolution but whatever. Evolution isn't about perfection of a species, it's about being good enough to pass on your genes. That's sorta the gist of it.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 05, 2015, 12:16:30 pm »

Biology teacher's bit on human de-evolution and some explanation/examples

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 05, 2015, 12:19:19 pm »

I thought you didn't "believe" in evolution?

Sorry for the quotes. Habit :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 05, 2015, 12:32:42 pm »

So your not having kids then.
Phew human race saved guys and gals, high fives all around and lets rap it up.

Mission accomplished.

Jokes aside, if we get good enough at science wouldnt the devolution be fixed with genetic fiddiling.
Yes it is similar to genetic voilin.
Far different than any genetic chello.
By the way, how good is music..
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 05, 2015, 12:40:11 pm »

Biology teacher's bit on human de-evolution and some explanation/examples

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'd argue that we aren't so much "devolving" as we are "broadening" those who are alive from just the fittest to include those who are less fit. We still have all the people with the resistant traits, it's just that all of the other people are surviving as well. To note, 5 out of 6 people on earth could die horrifically (assuming we were still able to handle infrastructure, etc. so nobody else did) and we would still have more people alive on earth then there were in the 1800's, simply because there are so many more people alive now then there were then.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 05, 2015, 12:42:27 pm »

I don't believe in evolution
Neither does my biology teacher
But this isn't conventional evolution, it's people becoming crappier people

While we might be broadening the traits are speading to more people in the populace
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 05, 2015, 12:49:01 pm »

... there is literally no such thing as devolution in modern evolutionary theory. It doesn't exist, and the concept of it is in complete contradiction to basically everything we know about the processes involved in evolution. It Doesn't Work Like ThatTM.

If your biology teacher has been teaching or promoting theories proposing devolution, they should not be anywhere near a biology classroom.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 05, 2015, 12:50:54 pm »

While we might be broadening the traits are speading to more people in the populace
Not to sound horribly confrontative (I actually want to know an answer here), but what does your biology teacher think of experiments where they've replicated the effects of evolution in the lab through selective pressures (i.e. things like this, where they took two decades and over 44,000 generations of bacteria forced with selective pressures and watched them "evolve").

(As I said I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just interested in knowing if they are unaware or if they have some other explanation for the results).

And yeah, technically "devolution" would just be "evolution" working in the opposite direction as we normally think of it. Sort of how "deceleration" is really just "acceleration" in the negative direction.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 05, 2015, 12:57:36 pm »

I wouldn't call it devolution though. Yeah, if you took someone with a bee allergy to the 1800s they probably won't survive, but so would a dog if you tossed them into the middle of the ocean. They aren't adapted to living in the ocean like some people aren't adapted to live without modern medicine. We aren't changing, our environment is and that allows people with allergies and things like that to survive.

King Kravoka

• Bay Watcher
  • I will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 05, 2015, 01:04:38 pm »

Guys, we are getting alarmingly close to entering eugenetics territory.

That said, I'm going to say that evolution was the byproduct of an inherently hostile universe and isn't how reality should function. If we want to remove peanut allergies and such, we should just use genetic engineering.
Sure. Yes, you are the Silver Surfer to a very inept Galactus.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 05, 2015, 01:10:02 pm »

Your biology teacher sounds rather...unscientific.

Are you sure he didn't just walk in off the street? :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 05, 2015, 01:18:00 pm »

Your biology teacher sounds rather...unscientific.

Are you sure he didn't just walk in off the street? :P

Yeah played too much dwarf fortress and wrote on his resume that hes good at !!science!!
Many science teachers are dorks.
My one said no one landed on the moon.
I was like "for f sakes woman, we have a moon base on titan spying on us and your saying we never landed on luna"
I liked her though, she was hawt.
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 05, 2015, 01:20:28 pm »

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 12:18:43 am by penguinofhonor »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: February 05, 2015, 01:22:14 pm »

Not to sound horribly confrontative (I actually want to know an answer here), but what does your biology teacher think of experiments where they've replicated the effects of evolution in the lab through selective pressures (i.e. things like this, where they took two decades and over 44,000 generations of bacteria forced with selective pressures and watched them "evolve").

(As I said I'm not trying to be confrontational, I'm just interested in knowing if they are unaware or if they have some other explanation for the results).

And yeah, technically "devolution" would just be "evolution" working in the opposite direction as we normally think of it. Sort of how "deceleration" is really just "acceleration" in the negative direction.

It doesn't even make sense as a concept. Look at internal parasites, say, a tapeworm - it is far simpler than non-parasitic worms of the same group, with basically no digestive system to speak of - it's essentially a fancy tube of flesh. So, does that mean that a tapeworm is 'less evolved' or that it 'evolved backwards'? Nope, it means it has successfully adapted to the environment he is living in - all those protein synthesized and cellular divisions that would be required to make an entirely useless digestive system - since the host does the job for them - is avoided.

If a change increases the odds of successful reproduction, statistically, the frequency of the change in population increases - no matter what kind of change it is. Simplification and complication are both desirable outcomes in different circumstances. And all evolution cares about is if you can survive and reproduce, NOW, HERE.

The development of medicine does not mean we're 'losing' the ability to evolve in any degree - it means we have transformed the environment we live in. If we lived in an environment where, for some reason, peanuts were the only source of nutrition ever, the frequency of the peanut allergy gene would drop quickly - for the very reason you mentioned, people dying of the allergy. If you lived your whole life on an island without even hearing of the existence of peanuts, having the gene for the allergy would not affect you in the slightest.

If anything, the example here is evolution - because genetic diversity in population is *always* a good thing - the more differences you have, the lesser the chance that one single factor will wipe the entire population out. If aliens modified all the peanuts in the world to suddenly be toxic to kill all humans, those who don't eat them because of the allergy would survive - silly example, but it illustrates the point.

That's how it worked with sickle cell anemia - a bunch of people had a mutation that messed up their red blood cells, making them anemic - a straight-up negative trait - but suddenly, malaria shows up, and because their blood cells are non-standard, they are immune to malaria. So while half the non-anemic part of the village dies of malaria, Joe Sickly suddenly can get bitten by ALL THE MOSQUITOES and take it like a champ.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: February 05, 2015, 01:25:49 pm »

And this is why I reserve the right to demand proof behind a belief and will call you names if you don't produce. Many people have deeply held beliefs, but understand none of the underlying mechanisms thereof.

Bring proof.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 523