I am religious and do not believe in free will
- 10 (3.9%)
I am not religious and believe in free will
- 114 (44.5%)
I am not religious and do not believe in free will
- 61 (23.8%)

Total Members Voted: 251

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 523

Author Topic: Railgun and Spirituality Discussion  (Read 661345 times)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion and Spirituality Discussion: Yet Another Thread
« Reply #196 on: January 26, 2015, 12:13:08 pm »

This should give you a good starting location.

:3

Wait what? Is Arianism still a thing? In any case, this gives me an excuse to bring out one of my favorite pictures on the internet.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 12:15:26 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 26, 2015, 12:16:18 pm »

His real name is Lucifer
though it might not be scripture so im going to be asking around

Nope, Lucifer is only mentioned once in the bible and is definitely a separate entity from Satan. Or at least until the two were associated in later centuries.

Do you mean satan?
the one that tempted Adam and Eve into eating the forbidden fruit?

Again, Satan is not specifically mentioned to be the serpent that tempted Adam and Eve in the bible. That association came later.

... Nnnoo, that's a pretty standard theological question, leading to a fair number of disagreements and splits between churches.

Source? Never heard of it, and it's a pretty big thing.

The closest thing I can think of is all of the early Christian debates on how divine Christ was, which is to say whether he was purely God on earth, or just some lowly human. But those debates never associated Christ as a separate deity from God, so I can't see how you'd get polytheism from that.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #198 on: January 26, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »

The only thing mentioned in there is that the Nicene Creed and the Orthodox Church support the divinity of Christ. Not much about serious, current, schisms, unless I'm misreading something.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 26, 2015, 12:33:59 pm »

The only thing mentioned in there is that the Nicene Creed and the Orthodox Church support the divinity of Christ. Not much about serious, current, schisms, unless I'm misreading something.

ifimaybuttin

The thing nowadays is that there aren't serious schisms within the church anymore, at least not like they had in the old days. This is mainly because in the old days, a change in the way people worshipped meant a change in the fundamental political makeup of Eurasia, as religion and politics were so intertwined. So, chances are most people are going to refer to things like the Protestant Reformation, the Orthodox Split, and several politically minor heresies in the church when you ask for info about schisms.

Let's be thankful for that, or else we'd have a huge civil war in america over every majour theological split, of which there tend to be a few nowadays.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2015, 12:51:14 pm »

That's one of the ten commandments, and one of the better-known verses in the Bible. Most Christians would (I hope) immediately recognise it. They don't really need to include chapter and verse.
That's Him speaking specifically to the Israelites (or whatever they were, I don't know bible-lore very well.)
Yes, but they still apply to Christians. (and everyone else, but that's another matter)

That's not necessarily true. You can make a strong Biblical case for it not even applying to Christians.

I would like to point out that the whole "applies to christians too" is true, but not for the reason you may think.
Christianity is heavily dependent on god's personality, and is almost devoid of rules. Christians are not supposed to follow the old commandments because it's stated that Christ is the end of law, but if god has made such commandment before it means that he despises the worshiping of other god's.
It's also stated Jahwe (Or Jehova or Yahweh or however you call the bible's god) is a Jealous god, since it's part of his personality and christians want to make god happy then worshiping other gods is wrong, because Jahwe don't like it.

It also says that he's not the end of the law.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2015, 12:59:39 pm »

Nah, satan's entirely subservient to god insofar as anything actually biblical is concerned. Just like everything else.

Abrahamic religions have an unusual definition of what qualifies as a deity. Satan and most angels would qualify under more conventional systems.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2015, 01:04:09 pm »

Quite possibly. The thing is, unlike in Greek, Norse, Babylonian, or a number of other theologies, rebellion against God ended swiftly, which is the primary difference. The Bible says that Lucifer is bound until Judgment Day, when presumably they will be burned with the chaff or be deemed to have repented and will be gathered up.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2015, 01:06:34 pm »

Bound where and for what?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2015, 01:14:51 pm »

The Dark One and all the Forsaken are bound in Shayol Ghul, bound by the Creator at the moment of Creation, bound until the end of time.

I don't think it says where. For what is for attempting to overthrow God.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 26, 2015, 01:16:08 pm »

Quite possibly. The thing is, unlike in Greek, Norse, Babylonian, or a number of other theologies, rebellion against God ended swiftly, which is the primary difference. The Bible says that Lucifer is bound until Judgment Day, when presumably they will be burned with the chaff or be deemed to have repented and will be gathered up.

Yeah, but his stay in hell is generally depicted in a manner comparable to Al Capone's stay in Eastern State Penitentary, actually calling the shots and whatnot.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 26, 2015, 01:16:36 pm »

The Bible says that Lucifer is bound until Judgment Day, when presumably they will be burned with the chaff or be deemed to have repented and will be gathered up.
It... kinda' doesn't, because lucifer isn't... isn't the thing. From the strictly biblical perspective. What people have taken to calling lucifer may be, depending on whether the thing being talked about in that particular passage is actually the same thing talked about in others (which is significantly debatable). But lucifer (halel) is mentioned something like precisely once, and not in relation to that.

Poor ol' scratch is shoehorned into doing so very much nowadays ;_; Mistaken identities, mis-attributed acts, slander of character... if the thing existed, it could totally sue the blazes out of the churches for libel. Critter would have enough grounds for civil suits to rebuild babel. And all that mostly for being one of YWHW's test proctors.
I don't think it says where. For what is for attempting to overthrow God.
... you actually have a quote for that latter bit?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2015, 01:19:08 pm »

I might well be misremembering.

Edit: yup. The quickest one I can find (although not the one I had in mind) is that Satan will be bound for a thousand years in the end times, where a thousand symbolises completion in Jewish numerology, which can be interpreted as eternally bound. In the Abyss.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 01:21:30 pm by Arx »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2015, 01:20:28 pm »

*The Bible explodes*
XD
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2015, 01:28:56 pm »

If we're going to discuss trinity, I have to post this.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 523