Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Rebel Galaxy  (Read 26066 times)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
Re: Rebel Galaxy
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2015, 01:41:25 am »

I say Nay to this!!!! A naysayer!!! Frankly, looks very cheaply developed without much original thought in terms of gameplay and is definitely lacking in a unique or interesting art style.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2015, 02:06:02 am »

I tried this out for 30 mins and found it strangely appealing. Strangely because when you list the game components, it doesn't seem like much. You just fly around and blow up people, there are plot missions and side missions. Side missions are just "Kill X" or "prevent X from being killed". There doesn't seem to be any depth in faction interaction.

Despite the shallowness of the game, it just somehow left me wanting more. Part of it is that damn soundtrack, which is some weird country rock. It reminds me of Firefly and fits the game in a way I hadn't expected it to fit.
Imagine cruising in a nebula robbing transports while that plays on the background.

I'm bit on the fence whether I should buy this or not. It might turn out to be fun for one afternoon and then have shown all its tricks. On the other hand, since I like SPACEEEE, maybe I should buy it just to support the space game genre in general.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2015, 03:50:32 am »

Tried it a bit, feels somewhat like Freespace Lite, in that you're limited to 2D space, while your enemies aren't.

I'm liking it overall, but it does feel like it's lacking a bit of depth, if the Mk1 and Mk2 versions of various weapon types are anything to go by.

Also I keep firing my damn missiles because to me, Shift = Sprint hotkey, not waste 200 credits a shot.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2015, 07:06:22 am »

you're limited to 2D space, while your enemies aren't.

Startrek Wrath of Khan Simulator?
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2015, 08:41:58 am »

People keep saying this game is Firefly-like, but is it only the music?

Other than that, from what I can gather without having played, it seems just as Firefly-like as Privateer, Freelancer, Elite and just about every open-ended space sim ever. And conceptually, capital ships blasting each other doesn't give me much of a Firefly vibe.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 08:55:06 am »

The 2Dness of it leaves me, yet again, wanting Game X crossed with Homeworld. Given that this game is done over the shoulder and controls with a D-pad, it could have been 3D. I'll likely play a bit and then get the urge to play X3.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2015, 09:30:36 am »

I think it bares(bears?) mentioning that this game was made by two guys in about a year on the very definition of a shoe-string budget.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2015, 09:56:06 am »

Void Destroyer was also done by one guy on a shoestring budget (coded for $0 in his free time, kickstarted on only $30k) in a short period of time. It's nice that Rebel Galaxy exists, but it needs a better sequel already. It's reinventing a wooden wagon wheel while Curiosity roams Mars.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 10:16:51 am »

So i ended up buying it. So far is somewhat enjoyable if similar to Starpoint Gemini 2. It lacks a dimension but playing on just 2 planes is not that big of a deal for me.
What kills the game for me however are the ocnstant crashes... so i guess i'll have to wait for a patch or something i guess? Ort possibly lower the details even tho i don't experience any serious performance problems.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 10:32:20 am »

I think it's rather a good thing the game has gone in the direction it has. There has been a few large galaxy explorer games released over the past 2-3 years (X3, Evochron Mercenary to name the two I know of) as well as a few others like Star Citizen that are planned to be released in the future.

From my knowledge, these games are rather heavy on realistic portrayal of space, factions and so on. It's nice to have a game that's more showy with bright colours, large explosions and an exaggerated feel to things. Accurate simulations are fun and all but you need the more light hearted games to provide a good contrast.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 10:56:43 am »

Evochron Mercenary isn't particularly complex, semi-Newtonian flight model aside, and is overall a modest update from Evochron Legends, which was released in 2009. They revamped the engine, sure, but the game itself doesn't differ too much from its immediate predecessor.

X3: Terran Conflict was released in 2008, and similarly is a refined version of X3: Reunion, which came out in 2005. Bonus sidenote: it still uses the same, absolutely atrocious single-core, CPU-intensive engine which compromises its performance even on hardware years beyond its time.

So the genre hasn't really received too much depth-oriented attention in recent years. Elite Dangerous is perhaps the highlight, while Star Citizen development slowly chugs along. Space sims do benefit from depth, which isn't the same as realism. For instance, Freelancer wasn't particularly realistic, yet it was a pretty big game, with diverse factions and a rich universe.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 12:03:39 pm »

I bought the game, but haven't played yet because I am....watching Firefly! For the first time in my life.
And god damn I love it. I really need to stop postponing to watch good stuff. I probably postponed Firefly since I was a kid.

Elite Dangerous is perhaps the highlight, while Star Citizen development slowly chugs along.

Elite Dangerous is the highlight of what a game shouldn't do to itself. Probably one of the most expensive games I ever bought and one that pisses me off the most.
Because hey, meaningless grinding is fun! And that's what space games are all about!

Anyways, I'll try the game once I can stop watching Firefly. But I fell in love with the cute mechanic so I can't make any promises.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 12:47:37 pm »

Elite Dangerous is perhaps the highlight, while Star Citizen development slowly chugs along.

Elite Dangerous is the highlight of what a game shouldn't do to itself. Probably one of the most expensive games I ever bought and one that pisses me off the most.
Because hey, meaningless grinding is fun! And that's what space games are all about!

That's not what I meant. I meant... Well, I guess I was thinking about how wondrous its flight mechanics are. Handling the ship itself is really immersive and well done. But it's true the game mutilated itself to be an insufferably grindgy MMO even in singleplayer. It's got some depth, but zero variation as far as profitable endeavours are concerned (i.e. trade or die from a grind attack trying to make progress actually doing the not-mindcrushingly-boring stuff).

Well, further proof that we need proper, deep space sims, and that there's no saturation which would better call for lighter games.

But I should still get this one. It's the price that keeps me a bit on the fence, when I have other prospects in sight (80 Days and Vagante).

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 12:54:10 pm »

It's $17 in a $60 market. What's wrong with the price?

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 01:09:29 pm »

It's $17 in a $60 market. What's wrong with the price?

The indie market is not a $60 market, and I'm not sure there's sufficient content to warrant $17.99.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9