Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: King on the Mountain: A Game of Adventure, Lordship, and Goats  (Read 1238 times)

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
King on the Mountain: A Game of Adventure, Lordship, and Goats
« on: January 18, 2015, 12:55:33 am »

You stand on the cliff, the Staff which symbolizes your rule clutched firmly in your hand.  Your Robes of Office billow majestically in the wind as proud eyes survey your beloved kingdom, from the Rocky Crags of the north to the Region of the Three Trees in the south, from the Lake of Grass and Flowers to the east to the Land of the Vast Rock to the west.  Truly, no lord could hope for a greater realm than yours.

Your eyes turn to the Lowlands and you smile, recalling the troubled days of your youth, remembering the time your spent crawling and scratching to climb to your current social position.  You think fondly of more recent times, when you won a hard-fought victory over the previous king--a cruel tyrant who, it was said, hunted his subjects for sport or even for food--and forced him to fly from his lands, claiming his kingdom for your own.

A tug at your sleeve returns you to the modern day, and you turn to see your chief advisor, regarding you with solemn eyes set on an aged face, whose white beard gave him an air of experience and wisdom even you could not hope to match.  You greet him with a nod, and ask him of the state of the realm, and the condition of your subjects.

"Baaaaaaa," he says.

You nod at this sage advice and examine the sky.  "You're right," you say, a cold wind chilling your heart.  "Even now, on our day of victory, a storm brews to sweep all we have worked for away from us."

What do you do, great king?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 01:12:54 am by Lucus Casius »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: King on the Mountain: A Game of Adventure, Lordship, and Goats
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 01:26:25 am »

Look to our own subjects. Are our people well?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 01:48:04 am »

You look to the East, where your people have gathered for a great feast.  You watch them carouse and play amongst the grass and flowers, enjoying the sun.    To a lesser king, all would seem well with them.  But you know better.  You can sense their unease in every movement even in this time of play, for they too must know that the Storm shall descend upon them soon.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 04:34:51 am »

Join in the revelry. The storm will arrive when it will but tonight we celebrate!
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 06:47:39 am »

Look at are body

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 06:51:21 am »

Ponder our preparedness for the storm ahead. Mayhap we need to reassure our loyal subjects of the everlasting protection of the king in times both bright and dark.

Have we arranged shelter for them when the storm invades, so that its passing does them no harm?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 10:09:12 am »

Walk among your people.

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2015, 05:09:51 pm »

You go amongst your people, joining in their dancing and their feasting!  For a time, you are merry, and the people seem overjoyed at your exuberance.

But your cheer disappears as you look at the sky, and the fine food seems as grass in your mouth.  You are reminded of your duties as King, and think on your preparations to weather the storm ahead.

Within the kingdom itself, there is no safety unless you wish to rest beneath the leaves of the Region of the Three Trees, or hide in the shadow of the Rocky Crags.  But in the distant lands beyond your domain, you might yet find shelter.  Perhaps in the Shallow Caves far below the Crags, if you wish to brave those dangers.  Or perhaps at the edges of the City of Men, where you once lived for a time before you won your Crown.  If you can lead your people there, they may be able to escape the Storm.

0player

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 10:02:10 pm »

Perhaps we should set to the Shallow Caves. Turning back to one's roots immediately in a moment of need is not a sign of great power.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 10:44:44 pm »

I'm still not entirely sure what's going on here. I think we're a crazy shepherd but I can't be sure.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2015, 12:13:14 am »

I'm still not entirely sure what's going on here. I think we're a crazy shepherd but I can't be sure.
Well, when you think about it.
What the difference between a king and a crazy shepherd?

The crazy shepherd has more obedient subjects.

To the Rocky Crags!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Lucus Casius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2015, 04:32:37 am »

You're all silly.  If you were a shepherd, you would herd sheep.  Thus, you must be a king, as you do not herd sheep.

"Baaaaa," your advisor says, and you smile at his reassurance that your logic is as correct and infallible as ever.

You gather your people and guide them northwest from the Lake of Flowers and Grass, leaving that pleasant land far behind you.  It takes what seems almost an eternity for you to reach the Rocky Crags, ensuring that not even the weakest kid is left behind in the great journey.  From this vantage point, you look beyond and below your kingdom, your keen kingly eyes picking out the place where the Shallow Caves must be.  The path there is long and treacherous--longer even than the path from the Lake of Grass and Flowers to the Rocky Crags--and the grey clouds of the oncoming Storm draw ever nearer.  You believe you could make it there, if you made haste, but it would be a difficult trial indeed.  On the other hand, remaining in the shadow of the Rocky Crags provides you little shelter, but it may be enough to outlast the Storm.

The choice is yours, but your people beg you to choose quickly.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 12:54:08 am »

Our flock people must have proper shelter! To the Shallow Caves!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 03:09:41 am »

Our flock people must have proper shelter! To the Shallow Caves!
+1 Approved
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 06:06:59 am »

Take half of some of the stronger goats with us to run ahead and scout for danger.
Pages: [1] 2