Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building tall structures  (Read 1694 times)

H.P. Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building tall structures
« on: January 17, 2015, 07:27:58 pm »

Good lord - I'm just putting the finishing touches on an above ground (20 z levels high) pump stack for a secret project and I'm in awe of some of the people in this forum for whom this is a small potatoes build.

I even went about it in a pretty smart way (IMHO) so'z to reduce time and clunkiness but it still takes a lot.

DF-Maniacs, I salute you and your insanity.

Back to work.

H.P. Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Building tall structures
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 08:47:34 pm »

Whew - onwards!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goblins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 08:31:06 am »

Looks interestingly insane.
Edit: BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A goblin just got gelded by a copper mace in a weapon trap! This game is the greatest.
Urist McLeader stopped eating Kitten Tripe : Creating God

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 08:47:16 am »

Good lord - I'm just putting the finishing touches on an above ground (20 z levels high) pump stack for a secret project and I'm in awe of some of the people in this forum for whom this is a small potatoes build.

I even went about it in a pretty smart way (IMHO) so'z to reduce time and clunkiness but it still takes a lot.

DF-Maniacs, I salute you and your insanity.

Back to work.
I don't think you're in any position to comment on the sanity of others, having apparently built this in the middle of a lake of lava. I'm guessing your "secret project" is either an obisidianizer or an obsidian gun (perhaps for dealing with clowns?). Even if that is the case, the fact that it's seemingly in the middle of your fortress means that you can't divert it to deal with invaders.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

H.P. Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 08:45:31 pm »

Ohhhhh but I caaan! I soooo can. And in such a spectacular way that I think it will make you grin ear to ear!

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 04:05:14 am »

are you going to flood the sky with a layer of water and a layer of magma and make an orbital obsidian cannon manipulated by an extensive array of levers?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015, 10:21:18 am »

are you going to flood the sky with a layer of water and a layer of magma and make an orbital obsidian cannon manipulated by an extensive array of levers?
Ooh I love those.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 01:43:39 pm »

I find it helps to build a removable scaffolding. Bonus points if you can "remove it" all at once with the pull of a lever. Use of bridges recommended.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 02:43:30 pm »

The height (no pun intended) of my architectural feats is 10-20 z high single up/down staircases, with two 10-tile "diving boards" on which I put cage traps.  I salute your superior building skills.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 04:30:55 pm »

Even if that is the case, the fact that it's seemingly in the middle of your fortress means that you can't divert it to deal with invaders.
Well, I mean, you could...

...Once.