Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 87382 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #525 on: August 28, 2016, 07:58:28 am »

Prefer subjective opinion to objective link.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: August 28, 2016, 08:15:26 am »

Finished the Jungle, it's godawfully tragic and horrible, even more so as it's based on the real working conditions of the food packing industry, but it's fun to read with how it's a goddamn nonstop parade of tragedy and awfulness happening to the characters. It's almost too much to believe.

Spoiler: the worst death (click to show/hide)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: August 28, 2016, 10:37:34 am »

Prefer subjective opinion to objective link.
No. It is not space opera. It's one of Heinlein's best novels (also one of the ones that belongs to that timeline shared by a lot of his standalones), and sorta defies categorization. It easily carries a slot in my top fifteen novels. Definitely would recommend, particularly to people who like other works of the Golden Age greats (i.e. the ones who wrote novels and short stories that happened to be science fiction, as opposed to the pulp dross).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: August 28, 2016, 02:00:02 pm »

Got given the first two books to a series by the author today at work.  They are about a samurai/spy/vampire in modern times.  I don't know what even to make of the books so far, his writing style is enjoyable but the entire concept is just so much what that I'm having to try and not have a biased bad opinion about where the story is going to go.
Nom nom nom

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 25, 2016, 12:24:19 pm »

I'd been eating my way through a book called "You are now less dumb", which is about fallacies, why humans make them, and how they play into our daily lives and thought processes. The short answer: because we're barely evolved chimp people possessing brains that only have the power of a combined 85 cat brains.

While it's very cynical, it makes up for it by being, interesting, humorous, and never stagnating on one topic too long before switching to the next one.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: September 25, 2016, 12:30:55 pm »

The short answer: because we're barely evolved chimp people possessing brains that only have the power of a combined 85 cat brains.

I am so going to use the hell out of that statistic.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 25, 2016, 01:01:42 pm »

The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco.
One wheel short of a wagon

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: September 25, 2016, 03:58:22 pm »

The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco.
Gosh, I've been meaning to read that for a while.

...As for what I've been reading, well. I was reading Oh, Play That Thing by Roddy Doyle, about some Irish dude who comes to New York in the jazz age to escape his criminal past (and a whole bunch of Irish dudes who want to kill him). It seemed pretty good so far, although I wasn't a fan of the prose: it seems the author subscribes to the annoyingly-prevalent "let's use as little punctuation as possible so that people think our book is more fresh and innovative than it actually is" school of thought. Ugh. Still, it summons up a fascinating portrait of the times.

I also started reading The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens. This is actually my first Dickens, and I'm pleased to say I can actually see why he's such a legendary author. A really enjoyable read, even if I'm not very far into it yet. Can't shake the feeling that I hazily remember watching an old movie based on it as a kid, in school...

Unfortunately, I seem to have left both those books at my mother's house, and for whatever reason none of my unread books here are grabbing my interest, so I've started re-reading 100 Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. Truly a great, strange, depressing and joyful novel all at once.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 25, 2016, 04:03:24 pm »

Conn Iggulden's Wars of the Roses series. Tbh I preferred the old Mongolian setting, medieval england is almost a cliché by now, but eh, the quality of his writing makes it worth reading.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 28, 2016, 08:18:12 am »

Been reading Brave New World, venturing even deeper into the teen classics section of my local library. Have to say I'm really liking it, even if characters are caricatures both of ideology and of the time & culture they were written in.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 28, 2016, 08:28:07 am »

This.
Ignore title, get feels.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 28, 2016, 01:31:22 pm »

Finally got my mitts on a copy of The Road to Hell. It continues to hold its title as the only series Weber didn't fuck up.

This.
Ignore title, get feels.
Aww, I was hoping you were prompted by an update.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: October 07, 2016, 11:55:17 am »

If anybody is into comics and giant transforming robots, there is a pretty great humble bundle at the moment.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/transformers-revolution-comic-book-bundle

The IDW run of tranformer comics have been fantastic in my opinion (Especially the "More than meets the eye" ones).  The comics in the bundle are from various points in the timeline, but most of it is AFTER the war between the autobots and decepticons ended, and Starscream is the democratically elected leader of Cybertron.

Its also got some GI Joe stuff (and Street Fighter??) mixed in there.  The last 15$ or more tier gives a bunch of the "Revolution" series comics which seems to cross over a lot of the IDW comics and I'm not sure what its about yet, but the 8$ or more tier is all great.  :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:03:21 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: October 07, 2016, 12:11:32 pm »

Finally got my mitts on a copy of The Road to Hell. It continues to hold its title as the only series Weber didn't fuck up.

This.
Ignore title, get feels.
Aww, I was hoping you were prompted by an update.
Sorry ;-;
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: October 07, 2016, 12:38:56 pm »

I hadn't realized there were more books in that series...I knew it wasn't complete, but I didn't know if it was abandoned or if there were some I was missing (and it wasn't important enough to me at the time to check). Some review comments lead me to believe there are more books beyond that yet (or that there should be anyway), I think I'll wait to see if more books materialize before I acquire them.

I generally like Weber's work, as long as it ends before he ruins it. The Honor Harrington series was pretty good... until it got stupid (after the peeps got their asses kicked). Safehold is still mostly OK. Most of his other stuff isn't really memorable enough for me to list (it, mostly, wasn't terrible, but it wasn't awesome either). Some of the standalone books were pretty good, but I mostly worry about series.

Lately I have been reading the Grimnoir Chronicles by Larry Correia. They aren't bad, but not the greatest I have ever read either. Too bad there are only three of them (plus short stories, but I hate short stories as a rule. The simply don't have enough length to develop a good tale).
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 58