Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 87398 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #450 on: May 01, 2016, 09:18:54 pm »

Rescuing this thread from the third page because I've started reading Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency last night and holy crap it is great. I'm not even that far in and can already tell I'll like it far too much.

Also finished The Difference Engine and it was weird, and is certainly one of those books that makes more sense after a few re-reads. After reading it all, as well as the authors' notes at the end of the book, I think I liked it. It was a nice twist, even if I only partially understood it without an explanation.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: May 27, 2016, 10:37:40 pm »

Reading Andy Weir's The Martian after someone else posted about it in this thread and I added it to my list of books to look for at bookstores. Bought it today. Read it non-stop for ~6 hours. About 4/5 finished with it. Only stopping because it's late at night.

Wooooooo that's a good sci-fi novel. Would recommend.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: May 28, 2016, 01:16:35 am »

Can confirm. Damn good book.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 28, 2016, 03:52:15 am »

Jorge Luis Borges, Garden of forking paths/ Artifices.

Pretty great.
One wheel short of a wagon

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: May 30, 2016, 09:15:48 am »

I've taken a very keen interest in reading lately. I finished "The Golden Condom" by Jeanne Safer in three days, a new reading record for me given how long I'm prone to hemming and hawing. It was about the psychological states of unrequited lovers, cheaters, the cheater's victims, and both fulfilling and unfulfilling relationships, and more. It was very interesting and enlightening.

Before that I read "It's All About The Bike" by Robert Penn, about a man's worldwide journey, collection parts from the greatest manufacturers to build his perfect bicycle, interlaced with a biography of himself and his bicycling journeys, an informative documentary on the invention and development of the bicycle since it's invention, and interesting bicycling and bike facts. That was a great read.

I'm going to be picking back up 'Adventures of a Bystander', Peter Drucker's Autobiography. Also, Drucker's "Managing for Results" which I have on loan from the library. Just so much by him is so enchantingly pragmatic.

I grew up loving fiction, but now it seems that nonfiction has arrested my interest almost entirely, especially by worldly and wise authors. I'm actively searching for more books that fall under this distinction to gobble up.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 09:17:44 am by JoshuaFH »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #455 on: May 30, 2016, 02:21:24 pm »

I can't remember the name, but I've recently read some very good scifi books. "Hard" science fiction along with a good plot - and it's a loosely related series! My favorite kind!

Edit: Jack McDevitt.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 30, 2016, 02:46:46 pm »

Currently reading the Confessions of Saint Augustine. Its a pretty impressive acount of medieval middle upper class life and the educational systems of the time, and also depicts Augustine's conflict with faith as a whole and his general search for wisdom and happiness. Its not often you find a reliable account of a medieval man who started his life as mostly non religious and his heartfelt search for truth.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 30, 2016, 02:48:24 pm »

I grew up loving fiction, but now it seems that nonfiction has arrested my interest almost entirely, especially by worldly and wise authors. I'm actively searching for more books that fall under this distinction to gobble up.
I'm in the same boat. As a kid I pretty much read only fiction. Now my collection of non-fiction books is growing steadily. Most of them are computer books or robot books, but I swear I've got some philosophy in the pile as well.

Just started The Fire in The Valley: The Making of the Personal Computer 2nd Edition by Paul Freiberger and Michael Swaine. It's pretty neat.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: May 30, 2016, 06:22:00 pm »

American Vandal, a biography of Mark Twain that draws quite heavily on his travel writing. It's been rather interesting thus far.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: June 09, 2016, 09:22:13 am »

I'm reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Luiz Zafón.
So far it has been one of the greatest books I can remember ever having read. For a while I was hesitant to praise it too highly, no matter how much I was enjoying it, since I've had seemingly excellent books suddenly lose their spark along the way before, but I'm (sadly) nearing the end and the quality has not let up for a moment.

In fact, it's become even more gripping in recent chapters, something that didn't seem possible given how absorbed I was in the first half- or even third- of the book. Now I shall get back to it; it seems rather likely that I will stay up until I finish it. Gods help me tomorro- er, later today when I have to make an early start, doing a lot of stressful things, most of them involving high levels of social interaction.

Worth it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: June 09, 2016, 11:07:03 am »

Just finished the Steelheart/Reckoner series by Sanderson.
Sadly less gripping. Awesome story and setting, though honestly the ending was surprising yet disappointing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: June 09, 2016, 04:11:50 pm »

Just started Dune and I'm feeling a little disappointed. It seems to me that if George R R Martin over-describes things, Frank Herbert under-describes things.

JasmineJas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: June 10, 2016, 09:09:45 am »

I'm much more a fan of Murakami's shorter than longer books (Wind-up Bird Chronicle was very much a book of great and tedious parts mixed together whereas - I beg to differ on this, Yevgeni - After Dark is a perfect description of the uncanny world of a city by night, and South of the Border West of the Sun or Sputnik Sweetheart are masterpieces) but I thought 1Q84 was wonderful.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: June 10, 2016, 06:03:11 pm »

Talking of Murakami, wtf was up with his "The Strange Library"?

I mean, the writing is good, but that's all I got from it... and for the price of a normal, hundred page + novel.
One wheel short of a wagon

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: June 11, 2016, 02:13:15 pm »

Reading "Alex Archer's" Rogue Angel series. It's one of those terrible serial series that are actually written by several authors that couldn't make it any other way.

As such series go it isn't bad, but I can tell that they will get really boring in a hurry... Generally I prefer something with more continuity and a non-stupid plot, but a change of pace is nice one in a while.

So far it's day 5, and 13/41 books down (with breaks for work, sleep, and plating computer games)... Yes, I am a very fast reader, I regularly astound the local librarians :)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 58