Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 58

Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 87015 times)

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #255 on: August 04, 2015, 03:35:55 pm »

Does anyone have suggestions for just a generally good book. That means no cheesy crap, unrealistic personalities and no weird sexual stuff.

I just read the first two books of "the wheel of time" series. Thought they were alright, but I'm incredibly bored now. It's just very boring to read and I'm constantly getting annoyed about how ALL the main characters just do every thing they can to deny what is happening. Then they constantly have these moments where they just start whispering to themselves "I have to do this" or "I'll never let anything like that happen again". One of the characters falls in love with this guy who she literally had said about 3 words too. Then he also turns out to love her.

Not to mention all the weird bits where these three girls talk for like 1 minute then tell each other "i feel like we'll be best friends for ever" then have a group hug.

So yeah none that. Cause it's just dumb.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 04, 2015, 05:23:24 pm »

@ Generally me: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 04, 2015, 07:21:03 pm »

Does anyone have suggestions for just a generally good book. That means no cheesy crap, unrealistic personalities and no weird sexual stuff.

I just read the first two books of "the wheel of time" series. Thought they were alright, but I'm incredibly bored now. It's just very boring to read and I'm constantly getting annoyed about how ALL the main characters just do every thing they can to deny what is happening. Then they constantly have these moments where they just start whispering to themselves "I have to do this" or "I'll never let anything like that happen again". One of the characters falls in love with this guy who she literally had said about 3 words too. Then he also turns out to love her.

Not to mention all the weird bits where these three girls talk for like 1 minute then tell each other "i feel like we'll be best friends for ever" then have a group hug.

So yeah none that. Cause it's just dumb.

Hmm..
The Communist Manifesto?

How about some good ol' Agatha Christie? Some of the personalities are a tad bit unrealistic, but not because the author needs them to fall in love, it because the author needs them to look like a suspect. Big difference!
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 05, 2015, 12:37:45 am »

Neuromancer by William Gibson. That's some good stuff.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 05, 2015, 01:52:30 am »

Currently enjoying Down and out in Paris and London by George Orwell. My only gripe is the racist, or otherwise, stereotyping, but it's confused somewhat by his arguments against racism within the same book.

I enjoyed his other cyberpunk stuff too. Might help that I enjoy the beat influence in his writing. If you were posting it as a suggestion for Generally me it might be worth warning that the series does contain some weird sexual stuff, but that specific book may not, I can't remember (the weirdest stuff being in his shorter stories).
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 05, 2015, 02:56:59 pm »

Okay new question, what book if any has made you incredibly emotional?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2015, 03:05:24 pm »

Whilst as a rule I don't do 'incredibly emotional', anything involving cruelty to birds generally saddens or angers me. There's a book by Kevin Anderson (fantasy. The Edge of the World, maybe?) which has one or two particularly noteworthy scenes like that.

Oh, Great Expectations made me want to smack Pip repeatedly, but I'm not sure that counts.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 05, 2015, 03:22:53 pm »

I might read great expectations then.

Also thank for the other suggestions, I looked them up and read a few reviews but found that they probably wouldn't be my kinda book.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:27:28 pm by Generally me »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2015, 03:55:41 pm »

I enjoyed his other cyberpunk stuff too. Might help that I enjoy the beat influence in his writing. If you were posting it as a suggestion for Generally me it might be worth warning that the series does contain some weird sexual stuff, but that specific book may not, I can't remember (the weirdest stuff being in his shorter stories).

Eh, in that particular book, lead characters fucked once in a pretty plain way around page 50 (spoilers?), then business as usual. I haven't read the whole series, I switched to something else back when I finished it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 03:57:33 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2015, 09:23:06 pm »

Horse fiction.

I regret NOTHING.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2015, 02:03:00 am »

Richard Matheson's I am Legend got me more emotional than most. It's so grim that even small mercies seemed massive. I am moved to tears quite a lot when reading. A sign of quality if you ask me or maybe just my choice of books.

Eh, in that particular book, lead characters fucked once in a pretty plain way around page 50 (spoilers?), then business as usual. I haven't read the whole series, I switched to something else back when I finished it.

Fair enough.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 06, 2015, 02:59:44 am »

10/10 would recommend.
Well I'm sold.
To ze library.

I've been reading a little too much of Tamora Pierce's stuff recently
Yep yep. I like the characters, I love the world, I can tolerate the romance.
But gosh does it get samey.

I'd certainly say quality rollercoasters over time though.
Early stuff - Good
Middle stuff - Great
The Will of the Empress - Terrible.

... Actually Pratchett I'd say is similar too (for medical reasons though)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2015, 04:42:50 am »

I thought pratchett's later works picked back up in quality. Especially the discworld series, the last few books I really enjoyed. Some of the middle ones, not as much.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: August 06, 2015, 06:53:35 am »

I read Jam, Yahtzee Croshaw's next novel after Mogworld. It ended on a really dark note for a comedic novel. Not dark as in "haha all the stupid people get killed" black comedy, it's really kind of a downer. As dark as Mogworld got, the ultimate outcome was bittersweet. I think Mogworld was funnier, too.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: August 09, 2015, 09:21:32 am »

Anyone read "The Book and the Sword (書劍恩仇錄)" by Jin Yong (Louis Cha)? If so ,what did you think of it?

Because of my disappointing inability to read chinese, I have managed to read a little bit of a translated version so far and it seems to be quite enjoyable with lots of catching of darts out of mid air with whips, pinning flies to walls with gold pins and leaping across roofs and rivers. Sadly, after a brief look it seems to be quite difficult to find a bookstore that stocks a physical copy. Any suggestions on where I could look online to order, besides the obvious Amazon and Ebay?
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 58