Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: large address aware  (Read 1679 times)

MortalMiniatures

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
large address aware
« on: January 17, 2015, 09:20:34 am »

not sure if this is the right place to post

my fortresses were always crashing when they got to a certain size, or number of dwarves. investigation indicated it crashed 95% of the time upon reaching ~2gb of memory

i used large address aware:

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/large-address-aware.112556/

this helped alot with the crashing, so im suggesting it should be done as standard, or did it do something to  my computer rather than dwarf fortress?

Batgirl1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: large address aware
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 11:08:37 am »

I wonder if this is related to a problem I sometimes have: my game crashes if I try to embark on too large a site. 

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 01:09:26 pm »

There's a Mantis bug tracker for DF.  They ought to be able to help you out.

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 02:23:42 pm »

I wonder if this is related to a problem I sometimes have: my game crashes if I try to embark on too large a site.
Possibly.

this helped alot with the crashing, so im suggesting it should be done as standard
In other words: 64bit mode. Toady is aware of this issue, and will be implemented eventually. As always: no timeline. :)

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 03:06:52 am »

LAA can't really be implemented in vanilla DF because it causes pathing errors for larger maps. I assume the fix would make it even harder to implement 64-bit DF.
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 04:53:25 am »

Does it cause pathing errors for larger maps, or do larger maps (only possible with LAA) simply have pathing errors?

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2015, 08:21:01 am »

It's also worth noting that LAA is only necessary to use larger maps on Windows (as far as I know) - Linux and OS X don't have this 2 GB memory limit by default.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.