Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 508906 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1590 on: November 27, 2016, 09:01:50 pm »

Yeah I find regiments of renown to be completely stupid.
At least they could be slightly harder to earn.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: November 27, 2016, 09:41:42 pm »

The only real problem I have with regiments of renown is when the A.I. hires a lord and recruits all of the available regiments to make a 4-7 unit strong army in one turn. I had this happen when I had nearly defeated dwarfs and they lacked any other armies. It's more aggrivating then anything else, having to put more effort into an otherwise easy going steamroll.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: November 27, 2016, 10:19:21 pm »

My Savage Orc campaign came to a crappy end.

I cornered the Dwarfs to the SE part of the map where they only had 3 settlements left. This was after a gruelling 140 turn campaign where I had to beat them back one invincible army at a time.

At the end, they cheatspawned all four of their super lords with full stacks of ultra elite regiments of renown units. So here I am, with my two shitty savage orc armies against double our number in the elitest of elite units. What the fuck.

Oh and to make matters worse? Archaon arrived in Blackfire Pass to burn everything I have from the north. That one might have been my own fault as I used a mod to increase the number of Chaos Wastes tribes. They kinda burned everything to the ground north of the Badlands.

Lessons for next time: Kill Dwarfs ASAP. Also get more units that aren't just savage orc boyz.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: November 28, 2016, 01:05:26 am »

I think savage Orc boar boyz are armor piercing?
Might be your best dwarf killers right there

But whether it's chosen or stunties it's basically black orcs or go home.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: November 28, 2016, 04:14:33 pm »

I think savage Orc boar boyz are armor piercing?
Might be your best dwarf killers right there

But whether it's chosen or stunties it's basically black orcs or go home.
Yeah, I tried the campaign again after I lost the first one and beelined the boar boyz.

Then I just put 7 - 8 units of boars / chariots in my armies, almost no ranged, and the rest is just bigguns.

However, what I really did to make my life easier against the stunties is to slaughter their Southern allies ASAP before they could confederate everyone. The problem with them is that if you let them build up their settlements (I use some mods to enable Tier 4 settlements as well as significantly better garrisons) they will just steamroll you and you as savage orcs can't attack their holdings since you will die before you even reach the walls due to no armour.

Also apparently only the main faction can call in Regiments of Renown. All the subfactions don't get shit, which makes me pretty happy.

-------------

I also just played the mission against the Soopa Squigs. That's pretty hilarious there, not to mention the panic when they come for you.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: November 29, 2016, 07:46:52 am »

Here's an article with a few quotes from Creative Assembly on some of their future plans for the series. Interesting points are plans for 4 factions in each of the coming expansions/stand alone games and the acknowledgement of the rather thin rosters for some factions, Bretonnia in particular.

This latter point mentions that they seem to be pulling ideas from the lore for new units to add to these factions, running them past Games Workshop first. Good news for Bretonnia who, comparing their in game roster to their rulebook, aren't missing much aside from a few cavalry and infantry types.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: November 29, 2016, 09:12:31 am »

I gotta say, while I like how the AI gets aggressive on Very Hard, I really dislike how they also fixate on the player. Playing as Khazrak, I've had Templehof DoW me despite being pressed hard by the Empire and have their two stacks chase me around as the Empire presses upon them. It's kind of silly.

EDIT: And now they've followed me deep into Kislev heedless of the heavy attrition they're being hit with. Silly indeed.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 10:03:31 am by Teneb »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: November 29, 2016, 11:29:56 am »

Gotta quickly toss in my appreciation here Mech for all those links.
You're the life of this thread and most of the reason why all of my friends know anything about upcoming stuff.

Gotta say though if skaven don't get added to the old world I'll be super annoyed, not least because until they DO add it they just make that whole section of the map inaccessible just like with the wood elves.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: November 30, 2016, 01:16:15 am »

From Mech's link. It looks like Warhammer Total War is actually going to be BIGGER than planned.

The russian leak may have been initially accurate, but they said only three factions per the two major expansions. Instead there will four races for each expansion.

On top of that, I very very highly doubt they'll stop releasing the mini-dlcs they are making once they release the expansions. That gives them a lot of extra income, be dumb to stop that. That leaves the door open to a larger amount of races than I originally thought there'd be for Warhammer.

There is of course mods that spruce up a lot of the races, like one for border princes and what not. While they are just mods, so don't entirely count...they add a lot too.

Then their next historical game I'm really looking forward to knowing what era its in. I bet its a world war era like the article says, because hearts of iron IV came out and total wars share the same historic eras as the paradox epic strategies. And its a major era they haven't done.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: November 30, 2016, 01:38:16 am »

I hope they include a way for the Empire to not get roflstomped every single game.

Ever since they added Beastmen I have yet to see them survive beyond the first Chaos incursion.

I've also never seen the Northern Dwarfs survive either.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: November 30, 2016, 02:24:05 am »

I don't think the northern Dwarfs are designed to survive.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 30, 2016, 06:03:46 am »

What's this game like? Is it good?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: November 30, 2016, 06:25:06 am »

@Tack: Thanks. It's good to know people are making use of them. Creative Assembly has a bit of an annoying habit of not announcing everything on all platforms (forum, twitter, Reddit, Instagram, etc). Not that I go searching for it all but if I find something interesting I'll try and mention it here.
Speaking of which, a short video of the Spellsingers showing some of their sync kills with magic.

I've played a bit with the mod that expands the Tilia, Estalia and Border Princes army lists. Playing as Tilia it did quite a good job considering it's not working with much. These factions don't have the technology of the Empire nor the territory to expand into so 2 armies was my limit for quite a long while. Dealing with the many monsterous units like trolls and giants is a big worry as you have so few answers.

There is another mod that expands the northern dwarfs army list. It makes them more melee focused that might make them a bit more survivable but lorewise I believe it's a toss up whether they're still around or not.

(To actually play these factions, you'll need another mod that unlocks all factions as playable.)

I have noticed the Empire struggling a bit to expand. I mean, there's nothing too wrong with them staying in Reikland until a larger threat like Chaos starts to make them confederate but I've sometimes seem them not deal with the Empire rebels for a good long while. Also, if another faction like Marienburg starts poaching their provinces I think they end up in a bit of a diplomatic stalemate (we want our territory but you're too powerful to take on).

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: November 30, 2016, 03:01:17 pm »

What's this game like? Is it good?

I like it a lot. When Wood Elves are put in (which is in a week or so), the game will be vastly better. Without Wood Elves, the game feels rather lacking. Not just because its missing Elves, but because there isn't that many factions to choose from so it kinda feels empty. However Wood Elves will improve that, A LOT. Not only does it add an entire new race (instead of more greenskins/dwarf stuff that are both races already in the game), but it adds a LOT of life to the world.

Mods do fix things up a lot. Like the above post the factions already in (but not playable) get spruced up a lot and made playable. So that adds more factions to play as and more fleshed out factions, which is awesome. But I haven't played in quite a while, as I've been waiting for something major (like wood elves) to actually be put in.

Plus, the game has a ton of awesome mods besides new factions, if you are into that.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: November 30, 2016, 03:49:00 pm »

Or if you're not a pansy elf lover, then the game is plenty fine as it is.

The way I see it, all the Wood Elf DLC will add is a new place for me to burn to the ground. And you don't even need to buy the DLC to do that.

I'll copy paste my Steam review here:

This is easily one of the best Total Wars out there, probably on par with past gems like Fall of the Samurai or Medieval 2. However, that's not without its caveats.

1. Sieges suck ♥♥♥♥.
2. DLC sucks super ♥♥♥♥.

But that's basically it. Provided you can stand those two things, this is probably the most visceral, most beautiful, most engaging Total War to date.

Oh, and don't buy this if you don't like fireballs and giant and dragons and stuff like that.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 277