Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 509054 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1470 on: October 22, 2016, 09:17:30 pm »

How do the ranged mechanics feel? I like playing ranged armies.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: October 22, 2016, 09:29:20 pm »

You'll want to play as Empire then. Pike and Shotte is basically their byword, as they don't have the muscle to go man to man with big nasties like the Dwarfs do. Pretty solid gunpowder based roster from top to bottom, although the crossbowmen are trash and I'd ignore them. An empire army ideally wants the enemy dead before they even reach mele range, and if not to meet them with halberds that can tear through armor like butter.

That said if you don't own it yet, don't get it. I can't see it not being a winter sale game. Same for DLCs. Probably be able to pick it up for at least half off.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: October 22, 2016, 09:50:51 pm »

You'll want to play as Empire then. Pike and Shotte is basically their byword, as they don't have the muscle to go man to man with big nasties like the Dwarfs do. Pretty solid gunpowder based roster from top to bottom, although the crossbowmen are trash and I'd ignore them. An empire army ideally wants the enemy dead before they even reach mele range, and if not to meet them with halberds that can tear through armor like butter.

That said if you don't own it yet, don't get it. I can't see it not being a winter sale game. Same for DLCs. Probably be able to pick it up for at least half off.

That's the hope right now. It might even be on sale for Halloween.

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: October 23, 2016, 12:02:13 am »

The Dwarfs are pretty good for ranged fun too.

They don't get the versatility of the humans but this is how they play.

"WE'RE GOING TO SIT HERE AND YOU'RE GOING TO COME AT US. WE'RE NOT GOING TO MOVE FROM THIS SPOT AND IF YOU DON'T COME AT US YOU WILL DIE."

For awhile, the Dwarfs had worse artillery than the humans but now they're better. No tanks though, humans have tanks and giant lasers. Dwarfs have flamethrowers instead.

The Wood Elves will probably be the next DLC faction, so they'll be the ranged guys to go if they come out.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: October 23, 2016, 12:10:40 am »

Man I can't wait to buy/place this.

Back to RTW2 for now.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: October 24, 2016, 01:03:06 am »

I've been having fun watching squigs eating things. During one battle I watched Gobbla eat a night goblin followed by 2 black orcs. It's amazing and stupid silly. How do they fit in the squig? Where do they go? Black Orcs are bigger than the squig itself! Squigs must be like bags of holding.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: October 24, 2016, 03:15:58 am »

I've been having fun watching squigs eating things. During one battle I watched Gobbla eat a night goblin followed by 2 black orcs. It's amazing and stupid silly. How do they fit in the squig? Where do they go? Black Orcs are bigger than the squig itself! Squigs must be like bags of holding.

Some Squigs have some very acidic stomach acid, they likely just dissolved horrifically.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: October 24, 2016, 03:22:12 am »

Playing as Skarsnik reminded me how horrible it is to play against Dwarfs as Orcs. Having only Goblins at your disposal makes things even worse. I feel like I can't make a dent against Dwarfs in combat, so I just auto resolve everything. Even Chaos is easier to play against :(

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: October 24, 2016, 03:47:30 am »

Playing as Skarsnik reminded me how horrible it is to play against Dwarfs as Orcs. Having only Goblins at your disposal makes things even worse. I feel like I can't make a dent against Dwarfs in combat, so I just auto resolve everything. Even Chaos is easier to play against :(

Dwarves seem built to destroy early Orks.

Because while Goblins are mostly trash... Dwarves, in a way, have no trash.

As well most Ork units are outright countered by Dwarves (which in turn have a counter for dwarves)...

Basically Dwarves are in many ways the counter for Orks.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: October 24, 2016, 05:23:16 am »

The squigs help goblin armies with armour piercing and fast moving cavalry.  Taking on dwarfs I tend to have a center line of trolls, 3 goblin spears, the arachnarok spider and maybe 2 goblin bows along with a goblin hero boss.
The rest of the army is made up of night goblins and other vanguard units. Night goblins are great for sneaking around the back of a dwarf line along with the nasty skulkers. I think the key is to tie up the dwarf ranged units with squig herds, hoppers or other fast moving units before you bring in your infantry. You don't want nasty skulkers taking ranged fire.
Use the trolls on tough units and the arachnarok to chomp on enemy lords. If a dwarf unit is close to breaking, charge them with your ranged cavarly to try and break them. Fanatics aimed down the dwarf line helps as well but since they're random it's more just piling on more things happening.

With the vanguard units I have them in two smaller armies off to the sides in the front. One tends to be infantry and squigs while the other is wolves and spider riders.

Don't be too afraid if your units flee. I usually have them flee a few times over the battle but bring them back in again once they rally.

Greenskins have maneuverability over dwarfs. When the dwarfs engage your small front line in melee, flank with the majority of your hidden units and charge them in the rear.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: October 24, 2016, 07:11:44 am »

In sieges, especially early, I found that tying up the enemy with my main army while nasty skulkers make a dash for the capture point.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: October 24, 2016, 06:07:42 pm »

Double posts, but eh. Sarksnik is a brutal campaign. Seriously, damn. I had an easier time with Chaos. I was going pretty well, wiped out Belegar, had two provinces... then Wissenland decides play time is over and just rolls over all my settlements and armies. Hell, they even conquered the Empire Separatists instead of the actual empire, with Karl being stranded in Altdorf.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: October 28, 2016, 03:42:23 pm »

So, the Grombrindal "free" DLC has been released.

If you don't know what that is, CA and Games Workshop have released a "free" DLC lord for the Dwarfs. You need either a copy of White Dwarf, their magazine, or head to any Games Workshop location and get a code from them.

This is the lord by the way:

And just between you and me, I heard that there may or may not be an extra code sitting around somewhere around these here musty halls. So if there is a Bay12er who lives in some uncivilized hellzone that doesn't have a Games Workshop store, it might be a good idea to complain about it loudly. Like a Longbeard.

Also the cards come with 20% off Total War Warhammer, so if anyone wants that let me know.

Fanofgaming

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: October 28, 2016, 03:57:24 pm »

And just between you and me, I heard that there may or may not be an extra code sitting around somewhere around these here musty halls. So if there is a Bay12er who lives in some uncivilized hellzone that doesn't have a Games Workshop store, it might be a good idea to complain about it loudly. Like a Longbeard.

AGH, there be no Games Workshop stores near my Karak! Back in my day, there was a Games Workshop store on every corner of the land -- and they were 'uge! You younger Dawi just don't know how much smaller Games Workshop stores are these days, and how fewer they are. Just like these new smaller goblins! I would know. Just look at how long my beard is! I once even defended a Games Workshop store against a horde of Orcs! Back then, Orcs really knew how to siege a Games Workshop store, and we knew how to hold 'em back. These days, there just aren't any Games Workshop stores around, though!

Especially not near my area.
"I love quoting myself!" - Fanofgaming

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: October 28, 2016, 05:13:17 pm »

I didn't realise it was coming out today.

edit: somehow managed to post a message before I finished typing.

I went to a store yesterday.

I don't live near a store, I had to go quite a ways to get to one. When I got there I realised I could have saved the trip and just called. oops. It's not a GW store anyway, just a boardgame shop that has some warhammer stuff. They said they weren't getting codes but they would have the magazine. Too bad I'm a dumbass and went early, I'm not going to be out that way again for a while. haha.

Is there anywhere to order the magazine, or is it too late for that, because I can't seem to be able to find a source for November's issue.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 05:17:58 pm by Wiles »
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 277