Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507535 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer! It's out!
« Reply #1110 on: July 05, 2016, 03:31:01 am »

Does anyone else find the battlefields lacking? They are just huge pieces of flat land, maybe with a bump that no one will ever use that will hide some troops for a few seconds, but you know they are there. Very rarely do I find a useful patch of trees, or a hill big enough to have an effect on battle. I've yet to see a river and oddly enough fighting in the mountain regions still gives flat land. Then you have the underground, just a big flat arena. It makes it feel like using terrain is ultimately pointless.

But that is exactly the way Fantasy Warhammer works and this game is completely 100% factual to the source material.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: July 05, 2016, 05:19:19 am »

Does anyone else find the battlefields lacking? They are just huge pieces of flat land, maybe with a bump that no one will ever use that will hide some troops for a few seconds, but you know they are there. Very rarely do I find a useful patch of trees, or a hill big enough to have an effect on battle. I've yet to see a river and oddly enough fighting in the mountain regions still gives flat land. Then you have the underground, just a big flat arena. It makes it feel like using terrain is ultimately pointless.
Yeah it's pretty shite.

There's only a handful of maps that are even remotely memorable. Blackfire Pass is great. La Maisontal Abbey is... interesting with all the forests everywhere and strange hill formations. There's Sigvald's Golden Dick.

That's basically all I know. All the rest are just... flat with a few tiny bumps here and there.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: July 05, 2016, 08:16:59 am »

About about 85 hours of playing this game I've realized that it's possible to do quest battles without spending 20 turns matching an army to some god forsaken corner of the world and manually initiating the battle. Christ... Sometimes I think I might be retarded.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: July 05, 2016, 09:00:03 am »

Yeah, latest patch notes: "Made the teleport button more noticeable"

About time. Also, could probably use a little tooltip telling people how to overcharge a spell.

On another note: The new 'Age of peace' is crazy and not at all peaceful. I love it!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: July 05, 2016, 09:23:32 am »

Making the animations, blood, dismemberment and such takes work. That said, it probably should be maybe a dollar cheaper, considering it's very much not a real gameplay addition.

Not correct. It also has various random events. For example, I encountered one that gave +20 weapon damage to everyone in my faction (I was Chaos, so...) for a few turns.

It's not big, but it's more than animations and particle effects.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: July 05, 2016, 09:27:54 am »

On another note: The new 'Age of peace' is crazy and not at all peaceful. I love it!

I was thinking on the idea of whether the game could be perpetual in a way. Every 100 or so turns a new chaos invasion appears, the various factions unite again and then splinter when the threat is dealt with. Though the problem there is what to do if factions have been wiped out. Do you have lots of race insurgent armies appear and try to retake their territory? Spawning stacks of enemy armies is something I really disliked in the Call of Warhammer mod.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: July 05, 2016, 10:39:12 am »

About time. Also, could probably use a little tooltip telling people how to overcharge a spell.
Speaking of, how do you do that?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: July 05, 2016, 10:52:40 am »

Double click the spell icon to set it overcast. Light blue text appears in the spells tool tip pointing out the difference.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: July 05, 2016, 12:14:32 pm »

Do you have lots of race insurgent armies appear and try to retake their territory? Spawning stacks of enemy armies is something I really disliked in the Call of Warhammer mod.

No, thankfully. Although... Savage Orc armies tend to spawn... Well, so far only in your territories and usually near one of your armies.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: July 07, 2016, 12:32:12 pm »

Hey, anyone got any advice for the Starcrusher quest? I've yet to manage to beat it, though I do manage to get to the final wave.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: July 07, 2016, 12:52:18 pm »

Hey, anyone got any advice for the Starcrusher quest? I've yet to manage to beat it, though I do manage to get to the final wave.
I found it pretty easy. What's the issue?

Uhh... unless you're doing it from the quest battle select screen where it just gives you marauders? That might be a bit tricky.

When I did it I had an entire army of Chaos Warriors, a Hellcannon, and two heroes on Manticores.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 07, 2016, 12:54:26 pm »

I found it pretty easy. What's the issue?

Uhh... unless you're doing it from the quest battle select screen where it just gives you marauders? That might be a bit tricky.

When I did it I had an entire army of Chaos Warriors, a Hellcannon, and two heroes on Manticores.
It may be that it's because I lack the hellcannon and the fliers. I guess I'll just wait until I have some chosen and more research.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 07, 2016, 01:01:43 pm »

I don't think you need it though. All I did was just walk forward and everything that came at me just died. The undead and greenskins in that battle don't actually field anything that can kill Chaos Warriors.

IIRC the only threats were the Terrorgheist and the Ork on a Wyvern. But you can just sic Kholek on them and they'll get wrecked.

If you haven't already, you should probably destroy the buildings that build the useless marauders. They're pointless and waste both your and your enemy's time. All you need is warriors, chosen, and hellcannons. Grab some lore of death along the way, maybe some manticores. Then your strategy from that point forward is to walk towards your enemy and obliterate them.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 07, 2016, 01:31:33 pm »

I guess I'll have to keep that in mind for my next run,  because I got surrounded and murdered by 5 full Varg stacks. Marauders may be weak, but enough off them to make me lag can still break Kholek and a warrior stack.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 07, 2016, 01:41:12 pm »

They did recently change the battle slightly in the most recent patch, but I don't think it's earthshaking.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 277