Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 277

Author Topic: Total War: Warhammer! Now with 2! And 3!  (Read 507395 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Total War: Warhammer!
« Reply #120 on: April 26, 2015, 08:30:55 am »

DLC whoring confirmed...sad face...

They want to go "deep and not wide" so they can go "wide" later with DLC

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 26, 2015, 08:40:54 am »

I mean, honestly, I can understand that.  There is a lot of shit they could add and no way they could really add it all.

I would rather have a few well-developed factions then a mass amount of poorly developed ones.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2015, 08:42:41 am »

I completely agree...but considering the fat that they were making shit DLC with almost all the same units for $8 a piece in Attila? A new race is gonna be a $20 expansion

I dont mind DLC...I hate overpriced DLC...I am leery to see how they do it

Not to mention it sounds like they are going to do small nickel and dime DLC too

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2015, 08:47:42 am »

and that is kind of the thing about small DLC is that on their own they can "seem" cheap but when you add them up you find that they are in fact often ridiculously expensive for what they add to the game.

---

I am kind of disappointed I didn't get any of the factions I was hoping for... ohh well maybe next time.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2015, 09:00:52 am »

Disappointed. The fact that their planning for the game revolves around having DLC is what's so bad about the whole industry.

That plus no modding support is going to make this a tough sell.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 26, 2015, 09:09:52 am »

I am kind of disappointed I didn't get any of the factions I was hoping for... ohh well maybe next time.

*2 expansions & 25 DLCs later.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 26, 2015, 09:55:26 am »

Maybe you guys missed an important detail but all dlc is actually free on the internet, as is everything on the internet.
Shoes...

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 26, 2015, 10:29:29 am »

Maybe you guys missed an important detail but all dlc is actually free on the internet, as is everything on the internet.

And maybe you're missing the point.

Sorry to be blunt, but pulling out the piracy card helps no one. It's the practice itself that's the problem, not just that it's expensive. Releasing games with bare minimum content - which would probably not be deemed to be enough in a pre-dlc time and saying 'oh but you can pay more for some content if you don't feel there's enough!' -  is the problem.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 26, 2015, 03:13:19 pm »

Piracy is sticky...I will pirate whatever all day if I intend to buy it later (soon later...not vague some day later)...but the last thing I want or need is legally questionable actions so I can get my fix of videogames

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 26, 2015, 04:32:58 pm »

DLC whoring in a GW game? Who would have thought.....

WHFB and WH40K is essentially based around this entire model. Want a new race? Buy a book. Want a new unit? Buy a couple of boxes of miniatures. To assume that the games based on this franchise will be any different seems a little odd.

DoW1 wasn't horrible in this regard (after many patches). You got a couple of new races, but also some campaign gubbins and a bit of modding support. The stand-alone expansion idea was good to my mind as well.

If they do something similar with TW:WH, it might turn out alright. Hopefully. At least new races or even generals/heroes/units in this will hopefully be a bit better than a reskin and a stat jiggle.

I'm not condoning the zero-day DLC concept, or gutted games selling DLC as "expansions" that are central features that got removed, but both are core marketing and business strategies these days. It can be done well or poorly. But expect it from a WHFB game more than most. You don't have to like it.
It's a game. Have fun.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 26, 2015, 06:18:17 pm »

Wait, is this the first warhammer fantasy strategy game released since Dark Omen 17 years ago?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 06:21:23 pm by Antioch »
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 26, 2015, 06:27:43 pm »

Wait, is this the first warhammer fantasy strategy game released since Dark Omen 17 years ago?
No. There was Mark of Chaos and its expansion Battle March in 2006 and 2008 respectively
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 26, 2015, 07:52:10 pm »

Piracy is sticky...I will pirate whatever all day if I intend to buy it later (soon later...not vague some day later)...but the last thing I want or need is legally questionable actions so I can get my fix of videogames

Basically this...

Even IF I could pirate a game and all its DLC so that I will have my hands on a fixed version... It would still suck that I would have to.

It is kind of what I say about other games. The existence of mods doesn't mean the game was good.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 26, 2015, 09:19:53 pm »

Will they replace the Warscape Engine? That thing has been a hassle even for the game it was designed for, and I could see it ruining anything along the lines of Warhammer. Besides that, I'm a bit skeptical that they aren't splitting up the factions at all, but maybe they'll surprise me.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 26, 2015, 10:20:48 pm »

Will they replace the Warscape Engine? That thing has been a hassle even for the game it was designed for, and I could see it ruining anything along the lines of Warhammer. Besides that, I'm a bit skeptical that they aren't splitting up the factions at all, but maybe they'll surprise me.

I believe the game is running off a newer version of the Warscape Engine, if that is the engine that Rome 2 uses.

They are splitting up the factions. Think "Race" for the whole Empire/Vampire Counts/Greenskins/Dwarves, then "Faction" for the individual states within.
Under "Playable Races" in the list: "Each race has a legendary lord character , who is the leader of a faction within your chosen race. ".

So I'd imagine you'd choose Dwaves, then have a choice between "Thorgrim Grudgebearer", "Ungrim Ironfist the Slayer King" and so on who would lead base dwarves or a version that makes more use of slayers respectively.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 277