Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1297 1298 [1299] 1300 1301 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546747 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19470 on: June 13, 2016, 04:32:33 pm »

Contrary to popular opinion, guns aren't complicated. Far less complicated than taking apart the typical car engine. The AR-15 in particular, if I'm to understand correctly was designed so that it could be produced by small shops without complicated mass production tools if necessary.

Is it something everyone can do? No, at least not without some practice and learning, but it's also not extremely difficult nor does it require specialized or hard to acquire tools either.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19471 on: June 13, 2016, 05:00:59 pm »

So come November 8 years of Trump...

And my Sister said something that I think was poignant: "And they will deserve it"

And... Yeah kind of. Trump kind of laid all his cards on the table.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19472 on: June 13, 2016, 05:03:55 pm »

Contrary to popular opinion, guns aren't complicated. Far less complicated than taking apart the typical car engine.

But cars are really fucking complicated!
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19473 on: June 13, 2016, 05:06:28 pm »

Contrary to popular opinion, guns aren't complicated. Far less complicated than taking apart the typical car engine.
But cars are really fucking complicated!
Hahaha, very true
I suppose the difference is you have to learn how to take apart your gun for maintenance, whereas with an engine you have servicing available if you don't want to do it yourself

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19474 on: June 13, 2016, 05:12:23 pm »

... okay, having had a close family friend that was an actual small time gunsmith (until alzheimers got 'em, anyway; they're still alive, but yeah.), no, gunsmithing and whatnot (assembly, modification, etc.) is not some kind of impossible task. Hell, maintenance is usually pretty simple and only rarely really takes tools beyond what you might have around the house normally.

Doing anything precise with gunsmithing (y'know, that part that makes guns even remotely reliable), however (like, hey, doing anything even remotely resembling a substantial modification), is something that's significantly more difficult than a whole hell of a lot of things, and something that takes both a great deal of effort and no small skill. Extremely difficult may not be the word for it, but it's not some task that's even remotely easy, either.

Don't underestimate how difficult it is to have a gun that's not complete shit without having both pretty good tools (not specialized, iirc, but it's not unlikely your average small shop just isn't going to have tools that are enough up to spec to let you do serious modification and still reliably prevent things like, y'know, the gun exploding) and a damn good idea of what you're doing, is what I'm saying.

If the gun's built to be easily modified it's one thing, but if it's not, stuff just got complicated. Not impossible, just like making an IED in your basement is not impossible, but complicated in a number of different ways.

E: All that said, do we actually have any news about the AR-15 being modified, yet? ATF's twitter's last statement is still just that it was legal.

E2: Ah, it apparently wasn't an AR-15 at all. Look downthread a little for a link.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:24:30 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19475 on: June 13, 2016, 05:14:09 pm »

I feel you you kind of missed my point, which is that by and large making weapons illegal isn't going to stop them being used by criminals, especially in the US where getting rid of the weapons would mean taking countless items out of citizens' hands.

I feel obligated to say, there are a lot of people who are ignorant about how guns work offering their opinion, both on this forum and out in the public. I feel the need to remind you of the California gun law thread we had a while back, regarding a bill that would make pistol grips illegal on rifles for some reason. That thread was rife, rife I say, with people who thought that in the USA one could "hunt with a machine gun" or that an AR-15 was an automatic weapon, or who seemingly had the opinion that weapons with a "sporting use" were safe or not used by criminals. A lot of people ignored me after I explained this wasn't correct multiple times, I eventually had to make a post with huge pictures to get anyone to pay attention.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, the notion that a weapon can't be modified because it has a serial number is kind of ignorant of the fact that just anyone can buy a drill press, if they're so inclined. That said, I don't think most criminals bother- I'd be curious to know how many crimes have been committed with weapons that were, themselves, illegal, either due to violating the National Firearms Act or silly stuff like California's Assault Weapons Bill.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19476 on: June 13, 2016, 05:16:11 pm »

It is mostly because most Criminals don't really have an inkling to fire on a bunch of unarmed civilians :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19477 on: June 13, 2016, 05:19:46 pm »

Ah, for what it's worth, now that I actually look beyond ATF it looks like the most explicit statement about the firearm at the moment is coming out of Mother Jones. Semi-auto, 30 round magazine. No clue if it's actually accurate, but that's the clearest statement I've seen, yet.

E: Though it does look like some other sources seem to be saying the same thing, some of them before the MJ article, so it looks like there's a good chance it's accurate.

... basically, all this talk about modification is... probably kinda' pointless. Gun appears to have been more or less over the counter.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:22:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19478 on: June 13, 2016, 05:24:31 pm »

I wonder... If the NRA believe in guns as dissuasion so much.

Why don't we have a program specifically to ensure there are people walking around with highly visible firearms at all time? A Militia of some sort. A tax benefit for walking around with a gun.

Though there were programs to desensitize people to guns by specifically setting up for people to go into bars with highly visible guns... which did the opposite because they came off as psychotics.

---

Though I highly suspect they will have mandatory visible guns for teachers in the future. To Dissuade students and outside attackers.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 05:27:09 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19479 on: June 13, 2016, 05:29:58 pm »

Obviously the best way to reduce gun violence is with more guns
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19480 on: June 13, 2016, 05:30:50 pm »

Obviously the best way to reduce gun violence is with more guns

That is one of the major beliefs of the NRA

Both in that guns increase home safety (which is... actually factual last I checked)

The other is that guns dissuade crimes (which so far... isn't factual)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19481 on: June 13, 2016, 05:32:50 pm »

... we kinda' do, neo. They're called police. It's not uncommon for one to be on school campuses, these days.

And insofar as the NRA goes, they do seem to either actually believe the concept of dissuasion, or at least are being paid enough by firearms manufacturers to make a really good showing of it. There's a reason those polls and whatnot clinton's team made that snafu about exists, heh.

Though no, there's not going to be mandatory firearms for teachers at some point in the future. That would be completely goddamn bugnuts, and enough people know it it's not going to happen.

Also no, unless the numbers have massively reversed in the last few years, having firearms in the house does not improve home safety. At least statistically; there's always outliers where it does, but in general, it in fact increases the likelihood someone in your house is going to die or be injured fairly substantially. Not just in relation to a home invasion, mind, though those as well so far as I'm aware.
Ask not!
Ask!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19482 on: June 13, 2016, 05:34:54 pm »

PEOPLE POST SOURCES FOR STATISTICAL CLAIMS
GOBLINS DON'T POST SOURCES FOR STATISTICAL CLAIMS

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19483 on: June 13, 2016, 05:36:56 pm »

They're upthread somewhere. Probably more than once. Go hunting, the headache is precluding it for me.
Ask not!
Ask!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19484 on: June 13, 2016, 05:37:27 pm »

... we kinda' do, neo. They're called police.
I'm not buying this one. NZ and the UK both have unarmed police and their crime rates are no worse than similar countries with armed police.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1297 1298 [1299] 1300 1301 ... 1342