Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546953 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19440 on: June 13, 2016, 12:49:31 pm »

I sometimes wonder how many of the people who claim to own a gun to protect themselves and their family, to save their life in case the unthinkable happens, also took first aid classes. And did disaster preparedness. Too bad boring but far more efficient measures like that don't give you the powerful feeling of being able to blow someone away and live out your most John McClane-like fantasies.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19441 on: June 13, 2016, 12:52:51 pm »

I got my first aid training from America's Army~

(the video game)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19442 on: June 13, 2016, 12:53:39 pm »

If you get creative with it, anything can be used as a medical aid.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19443 on: June 13, 2016, 12:54:08 pm »

Where do you draw the line? Are knives okay, swords? Bows? Maybe some certain kind(s) of firearm? At what point does a firearm become exceedingly powerful, how is it defined?

Handguns kill an excessive amount of people compared to all other types of weapon, including other firearms, partly because they're easy for a criminal to conceal. A full ban on guns might not be necessary, but at least remove handguns.

AR-15s etc get more media exposure because they tend to be used in the relatively minute amount of mass-shootings, but they account for a tiny fraction of gun deaths.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:08:10 pm by Reelya »

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19444 on: June 13, 2016, 01:05:13 pm »

Where do you draw the line? Are knives okay, swords? Bows? Maybe some certain kind(s) of firearm? At what point does a firearm become exceedingly powerful, how is it defined?

Handguns kill an excessive amount of people compared to all other types of weapon, including other firearms, partly because they're easy for a criminal to conceal. A full ban on guns might not be necessary, but at least remove handguns.

AR-15s etc get more media exposure because they tend to be used in the relatively minute amount of mass-shootings, but they account for a tiny fraction of gun deaths.

This line of though is currently in use in our local law. "Short guns"(84 cm or shorter) are by far the most difficult to get, with the exception of .22LR/.22WMR revolvers. One needs to prove 2 years of shooting hobby with 2 signatures/recommendations, and to pass an interview and a test. The law changed after the second school shooting with a pistol.

edit: to address your edit... I brought that up because there really are nations where crossbows, high power airguns, swords and knives are restricted. Criminals still stab people and terrorists build bombs.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:08:20 pm by Erkki »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19445 on: June 13, 2016, 01:08:55 pm »

Number of people defending themselves with guns far exceeds all of them yearly
Not talking conjecture or anecdotes, or hypothetical scenarios here, just the raw data.
Using guns as a threat can facilitate just as many crimes as they prevent. And the balance of evidence is that people who own guns are killed by a gun more often than non-owners. So, they are a questionable deterrent.
But they don't
In 2007-11, there were 235,700 victimizations where the victim used a firearm to threaten or attack an offender"
The survey also notes:
"In 2007-11, about 61% of nonfatal firearm violence was reported to the police, compared to 46% of nonfirearm violence (table 10). Among the nonfatal firearm victimizations that went unreported in 2007-11, the most common reasons victims gave for not reporting the crime was fear of reprisal (31%) and that the police could not or would not do anything to help (27%).
Seriously that's dank as fuck, 235,700 people that we know of who weren't victims cos they had the power to defend themself

Sources for the studies you suggest would also be dank, as I want to see who criminals like to prey on more, people with guns or people without guns

I sometimes wonder how many of the people who claim to own a gun to protect themselves and their family, to save their life in case the unthinkable happens, also took first aid classes. And did disaster preparedness. Too bad boring but far more efficient measures like that don't give you the powerful feeling of being able to blow someone away and live out your most John McClane-like fantasies.
You have not seen INNWDS families lol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19446 on: June 13, 2016, 01:12:07 pm »

What are 'INNWDS families'? Googling it didn't tell me.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #19447 on: June 13, 2016, 01:14:57 pm »

If you get creative with it, anything can be used as a medical aid.

The heated muzzle of a minigun, for example, can be used to cauterize a wound.
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19448 on: June 13, 2016, 01:15:06 pm »

No no LW, if you ever look at a handgun you'll fumble and shoot your entire family with it like so many infomercials. Just sit back and let the government never get back your lost blood and everything you own, they're the proper protectors, not you.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19449 on: June 13, 2016, 01:19:43 pm »

I don't understand why people need guns, we have the police for that.

Now excuse me while I go protest the violence and overreach of the police.

In other news, I got banned from /r/the_donald for saying it's become forwards from grandma.  I'm not upset because, you know, it has.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:21:37 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19450 on: June 13, 2016, 01:22:45 pm »

If they didn't call you a cuck your mission was not completed, make a sockpuppet and dive back in.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19451 on: June 13, 2016, 01:24:01 pm »

What are 'INNWDS families'? Googling it didn't tell me.
In-the-woods, but said blazingly fast because GRAB EVERYTHING AND GET IN THE WOODS. Doesn't have to literally be the woods, but the idea is people who are prepared to leave civilization in the event of a Balkan wars or some nasty disaster for a remote region until things calm down and they can return. Varying degrees of preparedness, from the preppers who can withstand apocalypses, to people who just really fucking love nature and self reliance, to people who just like being prepared for emergencies. My grandparents for example stocked up years worth of food stores, drink stores and even had secret cabinets, cos to them wartime occupation by hostile forces was in living memory. It's also generally good practice, because whilst for most people national disasters are sparse (unless you live on a fault line or something), shit can still drive up food/fuel prices, crime never takes a holiday and people still get nasty gashes from slipping and rocks

Do Murrican schools teach children basic first aid, cos that's also a good idea

Now that I think of it, INNAWDS doesn't even have to be moving out from an area

No no LW, if you ever look at a handgun you'll fumble and shoot your entire family with it like so many infomercials. Just sit back and let the government never get back your lost blood and everything you own, they're the proper protectors, not you.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 01:25:35 pm by Loud Whispers »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19452 on: June 13, 2016, 01:28:48 pm »

Not in school, but when I was younger I got obsessed with a first aid kit and would pack and unpack it like a dozen times a day. I was eight but I could totally field that thing if I needed to.
No Gods, No Masters.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19453 on: June 13, 2016, 01:44:13 pm »

We had a first aid class in my middle school I think. One of my schools anyways, middle or high.

They changed the instructions for doing CPR afterwards and it's a long long time ago. You're supposed to actually have refresher courses or something so you can actually remember it all, but I don't know if anyone actually does that.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #19454 on: June 13, 2016, 01:44:59 pm »

The term you're looking for is innawood
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 1295 1296 [1297] 1298 1299 ... 1342