Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544541 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #19170 on: June 09, 2016, 11:00:06 pm »

can't we all just go back to being rome

Rome was many things.  You dont hang around for two thousand years by being a single concept.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19171 on: June 09, 2016, 11:03:04 pm »

can't we all just go back to being rome
But we're already concerned about how the coming of the demagogue with the support of the body politic most traditionally affiliated with the military, rabble-rousing against the present ruling party with populist rhetoric aimed against a political and economic elite, shall be the prelude to our destruction should he succeed.  Do we really want a second (third? fourth? fifth?) Rome?

Hmmm, maybe if we can send Trump to lead an army into Iran, we can make a Crassus of him instead of a Caesar...

Rome was many things.  You dont hang around for two thousand years by being a single concept.
Why, but that's what makes it so wonderful.  It can be everything to everyone. ^_^

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #19172 on: June 10, 2016, 12:22:47 am »

So apparently Hillary has made some big concessions to Bernie? The noise is that she's picking Liz Warren as VP? Is this true? Because I mean I'd actually work for a Liz/Hill ticket.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19173 on: June 10, 2016, 02:18:50 am »

Somehow I don't see a Clinton/Warren ticket. That's too much women for America to handle.

So your point is that the republican would have killed the favorability rating of any serious Dem presidential candidate?

The people that called Obama the most divisive president ever as they broke the record for fillibusters?  The people who impeached Bill Clinton?  Yeah, I think they would be doing this regardless.

I'm sure they would have tried, up to a point. What I was expressing was mostly surprise at how well they succeeded.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19174 on: June 10, 2016, 02:33:10 am »

I still maintain that Clinton/Bernie or Bernie/Clinton are the only real hopes for America. (Although one of the above is likely to adversely impact the lifespan of our favorite senator)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19175 on: June 10, 2016, 02:43:13 am »

So your point is that the republican would have killed the favorability rating of any serious Dem presidential candidate?

The people that called Obama the most divisive president ever as they broke the record for fillibusters?  The people who impeached Bill Clinton?  Yeah, I think they would be doing this regardless.

I'm sure they would have tried, up to a point. What I was expressing was mostly surprise at how well they succeeded.

I don't think it's the only reason. Of course her opposition are going to play character assassination games. They'd do the same no matter who the candidate was. Thing is even outside the US there's quite a few people who dislike her in a way that's different to Bill Clinton or Obama. She comes across as fake to a lot of people.  Now that may be true or not but people still get that impression when she speaks about an issue.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19176 on: June 10, 2016, 03:12:25 am »

But why did her favorability rating only start to tank in early 2013 while they were relatively stable before. Have you seen the chart?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19177 on: June 10, 2016, 04:33:02 am »

I still maintain that Clinton/Bernie or Bernie/Clinton are the only real hopes for America. (Although one of the above is likely to adversely impact the lifespan of our favorite senator)
But I want to watch the whole rotten structure go down in flames
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19178 on: June 10, 2016, 04:36:41 am »

But why did her favorability rating only start to tank in early 2013 while they were relatively stable before. Have you seen the chart?
Probably more than one reason, but there was a point where smears against clinton went from consistent but relatively low frequency to goddamn always, all the time, incessantly, the drum being banged more than the detractors bang their spouses. I don't quite recall when that was, both because it's kinda' blurred together and there's only so much shit I have to give over hearing the same damn thing for the ten thousandth time (with nothing concrete coming of it, of course, again), but it could have been in that ballpark, or at least finally started to have some effect around then. S'a possible contributing factor, at least.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19179 on: June 10, 2016, 04:41:02 am »

The Republic of Surinam might be headed for a military coup / civil war.

On request of the Court of Justice, the military high court ruled this week, that the amnesty that president Bouterse has given himself via a controversial Amnesty Law of 2012, protecting him against persecution for any and all crime, including he December killings, and the smuggling of tons of cocaine, is null and void.
They furthermore have ordered the court case against the president and other suspects of the December killings to be continued as soon as possible.

Officially, the law can only be tested and declared void by a Constitutional court, but Surinam does not have that yet.
Since the formation of the Constitutional court is taking very long, and will take many more years, the military tribunal now decided that it is no longer an option to wait for that, because by then the crimes will have aged to the point of no longer being held accountable in court.

On the 8th of december 1982, fifteen prominent Surinam people were executed in Fort Zeelandia. At that time, Bouterse was the highest in command of the military, and senior statesman, after a military coup. For many years, the bereaved, and with them, the opposition have wanted Bouterse to face charges for this in court.

If Bouterse ever sets foot in the Netherlands, he will be immediatly arrested by the way, regardless of diplomatic immunity. He still has to serve a prison sentence here of 12 years for smuggling many tons of cocaine. He was convicted of that before he became president, so diplomatic immunity does not count.
Too bad he's not dumb enough to make a state visit. Contrary to his son, who got himself arrested in the US for cocaine trafficking.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19180 on: June 10, 2016, 04:51:20 am »

... suriwhat? *checks* Oh. Some south american country with a population barely worth noting, gotcha. Is probably good idea to mention something about it when talking about tiny south/central american joints, since most english speaking people will otherwise have zero clue what you're talking about, heh. From the context, I actually thought you had missed the EU thread, m'self.

Though... why would a politician in a SA hole in the wall be visiting the Netherlands to begin with? There some kind of history there?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19181 on: June 10, 2016, 04:55:52 am »

Surinam used to be a colony of the Netherlands until 1975. We once traded it for New Amsterdam (the first name of New York). If we hadn't, New York would probably be a Dutch speaking city.

Your reply is very characteristic of the USA though, thinking that USA = America. Nope. USA is not even 1/4th of America.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19182 on: June 10, 2016, 04:56:54 am »

Surniame is a former Dutch Colony, yeah. They still have Dutch as an official language, and a population made mostly of the descendant of indians contract workers, african slaves and javanese as a result.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19183 on: June 10, 2016, 04:58:02 am »

Your reply is very characteristic of the USA though, thinking that USA = America. Nope. USA is not even 1/4th of America.
Just the only important part.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #19184 on: June 10, 2016, 05:04:45 am »

USA is about 1/3rd of the Americas' population, and somewhere in the region of 2/3rds of its GDP. If we're comparing landmass, Australia is a superpower.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 1342