Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1256 1257 [1258] 1259 1260 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546944 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18855 on: June 03, 2016, 06:30:33 pm »

That's cute, he thinks NK is a threat.
Small fires start big infernos

WORLSTAR WAR ONE for example

chesse20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18856 on: June 03, 2016, 06:36:42 pm »

john mcaffee is going to be the next president im Voting for him lol

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #18857 on: June 03, 2016, 07:38:42 pm »

I haven't voted before('cept in the primary), so are write-in candidates allowed?  Or is it one of those state-by-state things?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18858 on: June 03, 2016, 07:43:01 pm »

Write-ins are pretty much always allowed, so far as I'm aware. If you're unsure, ask when you reach the voting joint. They should be able to tell you how to go about it, if for some reason it's not obvious on the ballot.

E: Or better, check in with whatever organization handles the voting in your district beforehand. Supervisor of elections or whatev'. Should be able to email or call pretty painlessly, or just check their website and see if the answer's already there.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 07:44:51 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #18859 on: June 03, 2016, 07:43:55 pm »

Write-ins are pretty much always allowed, so far as I'm aware. If you're unsure, ask when you reach the voting joint. They should be able to tell you how to go about it, if for some reason it's not obvious on the ballot.
Oh man, Silent Hill for president 2016!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18860 on: June 03, 2016, 08:08:19 pm »

E: Or better, check in with whatever organization handles the voting in your district beforehand. Supervisor of elections or whatev'.
It's not done by the government?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18861 on: June 03, 2016, 08:16:56 pm »

Not sure if there's areas that it's not, but I'm also not sure if there's a consistently named governmental organization that does it in most places. Like, there's a supervisor of elections (and whatever it is they head, as I've forgotten the exact name and don't feel like expending the effort to check) where I'm at but I have no gorram clue if that's what they call it in washington or somethin'. Wouldn't be surprising at all if they've got different names in other joints. They're largely state ran and local staffed/elected, so far as I know, which is another way of saying you get no assurance what the hell you're going to get :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18862 on: June 03, 2016, 08:28:23 pm »

If the population of a region is, say, split between 70% blue people and 30% green people, why is there a problem if the region's news business has fewer green people applying for work/training and fewer green people involved in writing scripts compared to blue people?
To jump in just a bit, people can have a background that gives them insight. If I need someone to tell a story about being homeless, someone who's actually been homeless can do that better because they know the ins and outs of it. Having people of various backgrounds is useful and being able to tell stories from all walks of life is important.

But that is just a little bit different than strictly going by race. A green person who's lived their whole life saturated in blue culture living at the upper end of blue society doesn't have the life experience of a rock bottom green who's lived on the streets. That's not a person in a position to tell the important green stories that need telling.

What needs doing is helping people at the bottom get a few steps up the ladder, regardless of color, rather than trying to give people of color a few steps up, regardless of position. There is a difference there.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18863 on: June 03, 2016, 08:35:48 pm »

What needs doing is helping people at the bottom get a few steps up the ladder, regardless of color, rather than trying to give people of color a few steps up, regardless of position. There is a difference there.
Woah there Marx, are you suggesting that people are divided by class and not race?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18864 on: June 03, 2016, 08:46:53 pm »

I'm not understanding what the issue is with an "under-representation" of "ethnic minority backgrounds" in script editing.

Oh come on, that's not even a hard one.  You want people from diverse backgrounds because diverse inspiration is an asset when you are doing a form of storytelling.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18865 on: June 03, 2016, 09:11:12 pm »

If over 50% of your audience is non-white, why would you employ only white writers instead of hiring people who can also write shows to appeal to the rest of your audience, or can work together with a diverse set of writers to try to make shows that appeal to more than just one demographic?

P.S.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/clinton-opens-up-double-digit-lead-over-trump-nationwide-reuters-ipsos-poll/ar-BBtQ0Y0?ocid=ansmsnnews11

It's just one poll, though.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 09:19:30 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18866 on: June 03, 2016, 09:32:04 pm »

Plus people like variety.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18867 on: June 03, 2016, 09:39:44 pm »

That's cute, he thinks NK is a threat.
Small fires start big infernos

WORLSTAR WAR ONE for example

The threat of serious regional disruption and some big trouble for one of our few non-fairweather friends, plus all the American military personnel in the area is definitely non-trivial.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18868 on: June 03, 2016, 09:46:22 pm »

If over 50% of your audience is non-white, why would you employ only white writers instead of hiring people who can also write shows to appeal to the rest of your audience, or can work together with a diverse set of writers to try to make shows that appeal to more than just one demographic?

P.S.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/clinton-opens-up-double-digit-lead-over-trump-nationwide-reuters-ipsos-poll/ar-BBtQ0Y0?ocid=ansmsnnews11

It's just one poll, though.
Yeah, that poll is an extreme outlier and probably bullshit. Most that I've seen have Clinton up by a maximum of 4%.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18869 on: June 03, 2016, 09:49:03 pm »

Do you have a suggestion on how to unskew the poll?  ;)
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 1256 1257 [1258] 1259 1260 ... 1342