Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545323 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18720 on: June 02, 2016, 06:42:16 pm »

Extremely?

We have evidence that Trump used con artist tactics that hurt tens of thousands of people.  But people grasping at straws is totally more newsworthy then that.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18721 on: June 02, 2016, 07:05:42 pm »

Extremely?

We have evidence that Trump used con artist tactics that hurt tens of thousands of people.  But people grasping at straws is totally more newsworthy then that.

Only reason we're grasping at straws here is because Clinton lost the hay pile.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18722 on: June 02, 2016, 07:13:53 pm »

Pretty sure Trump's con artistry is in the news as much as Clinton's scheming. Neither is really grasping at straws; we have evidence of both. But their supporters don't care, so it doesn't really matter.

He has a point though. 'As big a problem' is ridiculous.
The way he goes about it could certainly have been better thought through. It's not as big a problem, but that doesn't make it not a problem.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18723 on: June 02, 2016, 07:28:48 pm »

Fun that the President is specifically calling out VFW's, though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18724 on: June 02, 2016, 07:45:39 pm »

The way he goes about it could certainly have been better thought through. It's not as big a problem, but that doesn't make it not a problem.
... it... really kinda' isn't, though. Most (like, the vast, vast majority of) cries of reverse racism are people pissed they got passed over for a job for someone at least as competent.* Most of its support is just due to certain sorts of folks believing that there's no way a black fellow can be as competent as as white'un, and that obviously if they (or someone they knew) got passed over it had to be reverse racism, not any other thousand reasons folks get shafted during the employment process. Discrimination laws didn't exactly get waived for affirmative action, contrary to what some lots seem to think, for some reason.

*For what anecdotes are worth, this is literally every single time I've actually encountered someone in person griping about running into it (the area I'm in is racist as fuck. It's happened often.). Double-bonus points when the black person that got hired over them was also younger, because there's naturally zero reasons a company would prefer to hire younger workers there's a metric shitton of reasons companies prefer to hire younger workers, starting with "lower starting salary" and cheerfully working its way through a mile long list
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18725 on: June 02, 2016, 07:46:46 pm »

People can't handle the truth.  Trump is El Presidente 2016
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18726 on: June 02, 2016, 07:51:37 pm »

Fun that the President is specifically calling out VFW's, though.
VFW? Veterans of Foreign Wars?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18727 on: June 02, 2016, 08:00:23 pm »

It's amazing that people really think reverse racism exists. That's just so silly. Of course there's no such thing as reverse racism!

It's called "racism."
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #18728 on: June 02, 2016, 08:17:39 pm »

It's amazing that people really think reverse racism exists. That's just so silly. Of course there's no such thing as reverse racism!

It's called "racism."
Yeah it could just be called "racism". I think the term "reverse racism" can be somewhat justified in that it distinguishes between one form of racism and another rather than blanket it all as just a single thing. I think the most common form of "reverse racism" refers to actions such as affirmative action or diversity/gender quotas where there is specific incentives to make businesses or universities prioritize various minority groups over non-minority groups, rather than just accepting people based on their qualifications.

"Racism" as a broad term can be used to label anything from someone having a preference for one race or a bias towards another race, or groups or factions giving preferential treatment to one race or biased or negative treatment to another race. "Reverse racism" calls to my mind the process of giving preferential treatment to a racial group in order to avoid being labeled as "racist" for seeming to give negative or biased treatment to said racial group.

Sounds like the point I'm trying to make is that "reverse racism" can be taken to be a sub-category of the more broad spectrum of "racism" as a whole. Yeah, it can qualify as racism. But it seems to refer to a specific form or act of racism.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18729 on: June 02, 2016, 08:22:25 pm »

This quote is the entire article - it's quite short.
Click through if you want to read it in a more readable font size. :P

Bernie Sanders needs to recognize that "sometimes you just have to give up," Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid said Wednesday.

Reid said his fellow senator should not carry his presidential campaign through to the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia, as he intends to do.

Instead, Reid said, Sanders needs to recognize that "math is math" after next week's primaries in California and New Jersey, when Hillary Clinton is expected to rack up enough delegates to effectively clinch the nomination.

"I've never been too good at math but I can figure that one out. I think he better do a little mathing," Reid told The Associated Press in an interview in his home state of Nevada.

Reid, who has endorsed Clinton, stopped short of calling on Sanders to drop out. But he made his views clear in direct and even harsh terms.

Reid said Sanders has a right to continue his campaign through the convention, but added: "No, I don't think he should. I don't know what that's going to prove. Sometimes you just have to give up. I've lost before. The numbers aren't there."

Sanders is disputing the suggestion that Clinton will be able to claim to have effectively clinched the nomination after next week's primaries. He says that's because Clinton's delegate totals will include "superdelegates," the party leaders selected by Democratic officials instead of voters. Sanders is hoping he can win California and change the minds of some superdelegates now backing Clinton.

Reid said he doesn't plan to express his opinions to Sanders himself after next week's voting. "I don't think I'm the one to deliver that message. If he calls and asks me I'll be happy to, but I'm not going to go chasing him around to tell him what math is," Reid said.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18730 on: June 02, 2016, 08:45:34 pm »

isn't reverse racism when you're inclusive of everyone
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #18731 on: June 02, 2016, 08:50:55 pm »

isn't reverse racism when you're inclusive of everyone
You'd think so, but according to a disconcertingly large number of people, being inclusive of everyone requires white people to be excluded.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18732 on: June 02, 2016, 08:54:07 pm »

I think the most common form of "reverse racism" refers to actions such as affirmative action or diversity/gender quotas where there is specific incentives to make businesses or universities prioritize various minority groups over non-minority groups, rather than just accepting people based on their qualifications.
Space. Spaaaaace. Those "common forms of reverse racism" are exactly why the bloody thing is basically entirely bullshit. The entire bloody point of AA and those (barely existent, often explicitly illegal) "quotas" are to get people accepted based on their qualifications. They're implemented because the jackass employers weren't before hand, passing over either equally good or outright better candidates because their skin color was "wrong".

Seriously. Discrimination laws haven't particularly changed. It is, in fact, illegal to pass over a better candidate because of their skin color in almost every field (there's sorta' exceptions in stuff like acting, iirc, or at least much looser enforcement), if everything else is actually equal (note: It's almost never actually equal, but that's neither here nor there). It is not, however, illegal to provide incentive or regulation to make sure the employers are actually doing their goddamn job and not passing over qualified candidates because of their skin tone. Which is what all that shit is!

I wish I didn't know the primary reason why it's so hard for so many people to wrap their goddamn minds around that (Hint: A great number of the people kvetching about that stuff are, in fact, racist! Go figure.), but it's really bloody frustrating regardless. Yes, you twits, it's not fucking impossible for a black guy to be as competent as you, your cousin, or who the hell ever it was that got passed over for the job. *frustrated yelling*
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18733 on: June 02, 2016, 08:55:17 pm »

Ah yes, generalize about groups you never met.  ::)  Way too show that you are better then these strawmen.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18734 on: June 02, 2016, 08:57:51 pm »

This is why a blind hiring process is probably a decent idea, at least before the interview stage..

I don't know if you're right, but something strikes me as off about your statement, Frumple.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 1247 1248 [1249] 1250 1251 ... 1342