Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546528 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18180 on: May 20, 2016, 11:21:02 am »

I know that a few months after I saw a few of Truean's posts I was talking with a cousin of mine about something or other, she said I should become a lawyer. I just nodded my head. But inside, inside I was thinking, "No. Fuck no. Not in a million years, no."

They're already weaponizing cyberlawyers to replace paralegals (Washington Post).
ROSS has joined the ranks of law firm BakerHostetler, which employs about 50 human lawyers just in its bankruptcy practice. The AI machine, powered by IBM’s Watson technology, will serve as a legal researcher for the firm. It will be responsible for sifting through thousands of legal documents to bolster the firm’s cases. These legal researcher jobs are typically filled by fresh-out-of-school lawyers early on in their careers.
It's also cloud-based, so in theory it gets a lot cheaper the more law firms sign onto this. Obviously in the short to mid term this means a lot let jobs for young graduate lawyers - a lot of the graduate work is button-pushing and sifting through legal data on computer nerwork. ROSS acts as a much smarter front-end for all that data, and cuts through a lot of the grunt work. However it could actually reduce the cost and raise the quality of legal services down the track, so it's not so clear how that would affect the legal profession in the longer term.
Man, I wonder how all of the law students coming fresh out of their $80k programs are going to pay back their students loans. There's no question mark on that one because it's a rhetorical device used to indicate that they are not going to be able to, they're fucked, thanks capitalism.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18181 on: May 20, 2016, 11:24:54 am »

Someone's gonna have to pass a minimum wage for robots, so that a cyberlawyer who does the work of 50 law students has to be paid 50 times minimum wage. VOTE ME FOR PRESIDENT, I WON'T DO IT BECAUSE CONGRESS WILL SAY "YOU WANT TO RAISE COSTS FOR JOB-CREATORS!? FUCK YOU!"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18182 on: May 20, 2016, 11:32:33 am »

Lying is politics, Clinton and Sanders are both doing their share of lying.

Not nearly to the same degree as Trump. He's just spouting whatever sounds good, truth be damned.

Ted Cruz, who is still getting significant voting blocs despite being out of the race for weeks now, was characterized for a bit as "Lyin' Ted"

By Donald Trump.

Honestly, this election it seems like nobody cares about honesty anymore. The most honest candidates out of the Republican side never gained traction. Not that there was much of a fight over it this year on the Dem side other than Sanders, but Sanders, who is characterized even by many Republicans as the most honest candidate in the race, is losing.

Sanders might be slightly more honest than Clinton*, but both are basically still saying stuff that relate to reality, unlike Donald 'I got the Best Facts' Trump.

As measured by those various fact-checking website. By some other measure (like how the numbers of his economic plan adds up), he is slightly less honest that Clinton.But both their plans still make sense. Meanwhile, Donald Trump promised to cut taxes by ten trillions over ten years, repay the entire federal debt in 8 years while not cutting social security. He isn't even pretending to promise things that he could achieve, he is just lying out of his ass.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18183 on: May 20, 2016, 11:35:21 am »

Some people I know contend that he actually sucks at managing things, and hasn't made significantly more money than a money market account.  He just started rich.  I don't know if that's true, but a tax return would show it.

It's actually very likely that he has done worse then a decently run retirement account.  Trump received a lot from his dad but a very conservative estimate is that he got $40 million in 1974.  This is a deliberate under estimate.  There were other inheritances, he got stuff like interest free loans, his dad gave him a lot of connections.  So he got considerably more then $40 million, we just know that by 1974 he had already gotten at least $40 million.

42 years is a lot of time for money to grow.  Depending on what time in 1974 you enter the market you would expect between a 7000% and 10,000% return on investment.  So an investor who was completely hands off and only followed the market would have around 2.8 billion to 4 billion dollars.  That is without a single hot tip or interest free loan like Trump was getting from dad.  That is without needing to swindle a single person out of their retirement money or engage in a single bad faith bankruptcy.  And it's the low end inheritance estimate.  If we suppose instead that he had inherited about 100 million by 1976 then with 40 years of gains he should be worth 6 billion.

It's very possible that a full disclosure of the Donald's assets would reveal a true less worth significantly less then 3 billion.  That means that he hasn't outperformed the market, he is actually doing a lot worse then the chumps and the losers.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18184 on: May 20, 2016, 11:47:20 am »

Was reading Piketty recently, and it's even worse when you consider that rich people usually do much better than the market before they have access to good fund managers and better investment product.

Speaking of which, I'm wondering why we're not seeing more attacks on Trump's business records. "Don't let America become the next Trump Airlines" got a nice ring to it.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18185 on: May 20, 2016, 11:55:24 am »

Was reading Piketty recently, and it's even worse when you consider that rich people usually do much better than the market before they have access to good fund managers and better investment product.

There are extreme methodological problems with those chapters of Piketty.  Not to mention his entire thesis is enormously fallacious.  Read that book with a GENEROUS serving of salt.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18186 on: May 20, 2016, 11:58:32 am »

Setting aside investment, what about licensing his name out? I'd read somewhere that was his likely biggest source of income at this point. When you're getting micropayments from several hundred businesses who use your name and likeness, over several years, that'd add up to a lot when combined with his investments.

But it also might just as well be subsumed in the bad business deals he went after, like Trump Airlines.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18187 on: May 20, 2016, 12:02:26 pm »

There are extreme methodological problems with those chapters of Piketty.  Not to mention his entire thesis is enormously fallacious.  Read that book with a GENEROUS serving of salt.

Well, he do admit having very limited data sets for those parts. Do you know of a good rebuttal of those chapters?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18188 on: May 20, 2016, 12:11:56 pm »

Well, he do admit having very limited data sets for those parts. Do you know of a good rebuttal of those chapters?

Well for starters there is selection bias.  This has two parts:
1) An endowment that is well run today will probably be well run 10 years from today.  As a result the well run endowments will be the largest.  So if you look at the largest endowments you are biasing yourself just like if you evaluated the investment strategies of the rich by looking at Bill Gates and Warren Buffet.
2) There are a lot of different ways that you can evaluate the relative investment strengths of the rich vs. the middle class.  Most of these will give inconclusive results.  By settling on such an esoteric metric you are putting yourself at risk of cherry picking the data.  If you ignore the 20 metrics that show a null result and only look at the 1 that shows a result you better have a DAMN good reason to pick that one.  There should be a compelling case why it is more representative.  But endowments are a very indirect metric.

Moving past that:
3) The praise for exotic investment strategies could very well be entirely unfounded.  They could be better investments or they could be risky investments that got lucky.  These are investments in extremely uncertain areas.  A lot of "smart" money was proven to actually be risky money very recently.
4) Endowments have an advantage compared to private investors because they dont need to worry about life cycles.  Harvard can afford to take a 200 year timeframe.  Donald Trump can not.

But the much bigger issue is that his "r>g" theory throws away the conventional wisdom without so much as acknowledging it.  This pervades the entire book.  For hundreds of years it was widely understood that if the returns on investment were too low, less money would be attracted to investment.  We have had mountains of proof of this over the past century because central bank policies have been able to create changes in real investment.  Picketty says that a century of evidence is a mirage and that in fact r is some exogenous factor.  Bullshit.

As long as I'm at it though, my favorite bit of Picketty stupid:
He says that inflation hurts the poor worse then the rich because the poor have assets in cash while the rich have assets protected against inflation.  He also says the assets of the poor are very small, less then $1000 I believe.

Let's consider a huge jump in inflation.  Push inflation from 2% to 10%.  That's the difference between great moderation and oh-shit-oil-shock-iran-nuked-iraq.  What is the effect for a poor person on this world shaking bout of inflation?  $80.  It aint nothing.  But it's not the biggest thing ever.  If a poor person is able to secure two additional days of part time employment over the course of the year that is a bigger deal to them then 10% inflation.  Yes in percentage terms it is big but the poor are so much more dependent on income then revenues that it's barely noticeable.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 12:23:05 pm by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18189 on: May 20, 2016, 12:31:26 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18190 on: May 20, 2016, 01:14:14 pm »

I can't decide whether that comparison makes me laugh, or want to hunt you down and leave no body to find.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18191 on: May 20, 2016, 01:26:19 pm »

"It's not like I like you or anything! Baka!" -RedKing, probably
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18192 on: May 20, 2016, 01:42:35 pm »

I don't like anyone, at least when it comes to politics these days.

Watashi wa kuudere ga desu.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18193 on: May 20, 2016, 04:25:12 pm »

As an aside, what do the Americans here think of the Constitution? Do you think it should be adjusted as time goes on, or should it be treated as immutable?
That's not an "or". The Constitution contains provisions for amendment. The constitution needs to be followed, because it's the contract by which our federal government exists, and any government which tried to rule the US without the constitution (or, theoretically, some replacement ratified by all the states) would be unlawful.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18194 on: May 20, 2016, 05:02:04 pm »

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 ... 1211 1212 [1213] 1214 1215 ... 1342