Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550906 times)

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #16530 on: April 17, 2016, 12:23:31 am »

Your elections are such mystery.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16531 on: April 17, 2016, 02:32:43 am »

You know the best bit? They haven't even started electing yet. This is all figuring out who they get to choose between in the Real™ elections.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #16532 on: April 17, 2016, 04:53:52 am »

'Murica best country.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16533 on: April 17, 2016, 05:33:59 am »

Arguably this bit, the informal "let's get rid of anyone you'd remotely like to vote for" bit ;D, is the critical part.

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #16534 on: April 17, 2016, 04:47:14 pm »

No, no. They are not that confusing. It's really simple if you look at them. Who ever spins the best bullshit wins. It was only Bush Jr. that made it bad.
That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16535 on: April 17, 2016, 07:35:55 pm »

Who ever spins the best bullshit wins.
That's the same for every election. It's just that the American system makes the process of winning unimaginably complicated.
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16536 on: April 17, 2016, 07:43:50 pm »

And expensive.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16537 on: April 18, 2016, 02:01:24 am »

You have special guys, who vote for you and can go lolno and elect Trump, despite being elected to vote anyone but just not Trump.
That is mysterious.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16538 on: April 18, 2016, 02:03:42 am »

Well yeah but that's about as likely as the queen of England dismissing Parliament and demanding a prime minister who will raise the taxes she needs to invade France.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #16539 on: April 18, 2016, 02:17:21 am »

Except the Queen doesn't actually have the legal power to do that in the first place

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16540 on: April 18, 2016, 08:45:55 am »

Except the Queen doesn't actually have the legal power to do that in the first place

Exactly.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16541 on: April 18, 2016, 08:52:12 am »

To be fair, that's only been true since 2011 and the Fixed-terms Parliament Act, so mainiac may not simply have kept up with recent events on the particular minutae of the relationship between the Crown and Parliament.  That said, they still have the power to prorogue it, and I'm not sure there's any (legal) limit there. 

But indeed, if he's talking about electors and not delegates, many states do have laws to punish or prevent faithless electors. 
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 08:56:38 am by Culise »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #16542 on: April 18, 2016, 08:54:37 am »

Man why did they have to change the interesting obscure laws?  Couldn't they have ditched the boring obscure ones?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #16543 on: April 18, 2016, 02:09:50 pm »

You have special guys, who vote for you and can go lolno and elect Trump, despite being elected to vote anyone but just not Trump.
That is mysterious.
Blame it on the fact that the core election system is essentially still the one that we used to elect the very first presidents back in the early 1800's, and at the time a large portion of southern states didn't want to vote for a popular vote because that would mean giving black people votes for president rather than maintaining the power in a group chosen "in such manner as its Legislature ([which was 100% white]) may direct". A couple of the original delegates writing the constitution even wanted to go with the popular vote idea but determined that it would be nigh impossible to get a popular consensus on it due to the slavery issue:
Quote from: James Madison
There was one difficulty however of a serious nature attending an immediate choice by the people. The right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of Negroes. The substitution of electors obviated this difficulty and seemed on the whole to be liable to the fewest objections.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Geltor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16544 on: April 18, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »

The benefit of the two party system is that it requires the parties to be broad, flexible coalitions of interests and opinions. I know that everyone loves blaming it for all the evils of the world, but it hasn't brought down the experiment yet.

I think that a parlimentary system does that more effectively.  The need to have a ruling coalition will make political party leaders join coalitions.  And we see some pretty broad coalitions when needed, like the governments in Greece and Ukraine.  While it's possible that politicians will form coalitions the voters dont want, the voters can punish the leaders for that like with the British liberals getting shreded after they entered a poorly conceived coalition with the conservatives.
while parliamentary elections are not perfect, i think its the best democracy has right now. all you have to do is show up in a polling station near you, cast your ballot and leave--at that moment youre officially done with the election process.

the horror stories i hear about people standing in line for HOURS just so that their candidate MIGHT get the chance to actually run in the REAL elections is terrifying. i imagine that if the current elections were ran parliamentary-like, sanders would probably win by a landslide what with all the hanging independents/republicans that would not have to go through any process to switch sides. theres no wonder turnout is so low. honestly, if i had to bother myself with things like registration to my favorable party i wouldnt bother to vote at all.
Pages: 1 ... 1101 1102 [1103] 1104 1105 ... 1342