Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 [1058] 1059 1060 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545347 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #15855 on: April 03, 2016, 05:25:56 pm »

... if you think it's been conquered by the courts and laws, I don't really know what else to say to you. Have fun, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15856 on: April 03, 2016, 05:26:16 pm »

Remember kids: when the son of the local KKK/white power/bro-nazi/ranch-owner/mayor boss calls another school kid a "filthy nigger" and the break area devolves into a black vs white punch-up, it's misappropriation of federal funding and dodgy political dealings to blame
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15857 on: April 03, 2016, 05:26:52 pm »

Ah, the old Marxist approach:
In the social production of their existence, men inevitably enter into definite relations, which are independent of their will, namely [the] relations of production appropriate to a given stage in the development of their material forces of production. The totality of these relations of production constitutes the economic structure of society, the real foundation, on which arises a legal and political superstructure, and to which correspond definite forms of social consciousness. The mode of production of material life conditions the general process of social, political, and intellectual life. It is not the consciousness of men that determines their existence, but their social existence that determines their consciousness.
(Man, I love shoving this in people's faces. Occasionally people get really pissed when you tell them they're being Marxist.)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15858 on: April 03, 2016, 05:27:35 pm »

... if you think it's been conquered by the courts and laws, I don't really know what else to say to you. Have fun, I guess.
Can you prove otherwise? It's illegal to discriminate since the Civil Rights Act and all the additional anti-discrimination laws following it.

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15859 on: April 03, 2016, 05:28:30 pm »

Remember kids: when the son of the local KKK/white power/bro-nazi/ranch-owner/mayor boss calls another school kid a "filthy nigger" and the break area devolves into a black vs white punch-up, it's misappropriation of federal funding and dodgy political dealings to blame
There shouldn't be any punch-up in the first place.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15860 on: April 03, 2016, 05:29:39 pm »

The 1968 Fair Housing Act prohibits that.
The fair housing act is regularly violated. Go figure, the folks it intends to protect also just happen to be disproportionately unlikely to be able to afford legal fees or the life disruptions brought about by legal action. It's definitely made things better, but it also hasn't quite made things good, yet. Not that any one thing will, but still.

Yep. I've seen numerous times where it's either violated (for example, when I was younger, a landlord told my parents that they could not rent a house because they had children) or circumvented (the most recent example I've seen is where I live right now - anyone trying to rent a house has to make more than some multiple of the rent cost, but that minimum is often higher than what a lower middle class person can afford).

And what you said links to corruption and poverty, not racism of itself.  I hate the word racism because it's an issue that has already been conquered by the courts and laws. It's a horrific derailing issue since people are so attached to identity politics they'd rather focus on that rather than the actually important issues like mental health and poverty.
Basically what I'm saying is that people are trying to fight battles that's already been won since that's easier to understand than a societal one. I hate how the media deliberately riles up racial tensions for the sake of ratings.

I mostly agree, but the lines between rich and poor people are, in some places (*cough* the South *cough*), the same as racial lines.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15861 on: April 03, 2016, 05:30:52 pm »

Amuys: Please avoid double posts. The edit function would appreciate senpai noticing it.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15862 on: April 03, 2016, 05:30:58 pm »

Can you prove otherwise? It's illegal to discriminate since the Civil Rights Act and all the additional anti-discrimination laws following it.
Since it's not like people ever break the law, or anything. Illegal does not equal nonexistent.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15863 on: April 03, 2016, 05:35:34 pm »

The 1968 Fair Housing Act prohibits that.

And the Fifth Amendment appears to prohibit asset forfeiture, but that doesn't stop it from happening.

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

That would appear to also prohibit cops gunning people down in the streets for trying to pull their pants up, or having mobile phones*, or exercising their second amendment right to own guns while being black, but it'd probably require the Supreme Court to decide that, if they were willing to do so, which I doubt they are (because then the cops wouldn't be able to use guns in situations that everyone thinks they should).

* I could link to articles about someone being shot when a cop mistook his phone for a gun, or a pen or laser pointer - you can probably find those yourself - or this: http://wishtv.com/2016/03/31/bringing-concealed-carry-to-a-new-level-gun-disguised-as-cell-phone/ which will just frighten cops further (and the current standard is "do I feel threatened? then eliminate the threat")
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15864 on: April 03, 2016, 05:38:12 pm »

I mostly agree, but the lines between rich and poor people are, in some places (*cough* the South *cough*), the same as racial lines.
That's not even particularly accurate, ha. There's hella' poor white people in the south/south east, often living in similar or the same areas, and you can damn sure better believe most of them don't catch the same kinda' flak the minorities (primarily black, but you can be assured others catch shit, too) do. Even when they live in the same neighborhoods, even when they're committing the same crimes and getting the same income, housing, etc., the treatment is not even remotely the same.

And it's not really limited to the south -- s'far as I'm aware, chunks of the mid-west and a few other spots have similar problems. There's plenty of places in the US that are doing relatively alright, but there's enough that aren't you can't really say things are in a good spot, yeah.
Ask not!
Ask!

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15865 on: April 03, 2016, 05:42:13 pm »

I find this far more understandable.  I just don't see the point in bringing in the specter of racism whenever it's convenient however.

Also, I do not particularly feel the need that I should be loved or accepted by all ethnic groups. You don't go walking around at Waianae at night for example, especially if you are white. Opinions and words don't harm anyone. But for the purpose of law and services, that equality is enforced by the courts.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 05:49:53 pm by Amuys »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15866 on: April 03, 2016, 05:54:40 pm »

It sounds like you're saying "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil."

🙉🙈🙊
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 06:00:27 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15867 on: April 03, 2016, 06:02:21 pm »

It sounds like you're saying "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil."

🙉🙈🙊

Could we please not escalate into personal attacks?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15868 on: April 03, 2016, 06:03:21 pm »

I honestly do not care when people talk vile things about race, whether it's in some rambling manifesto or in a rap song. When people use that as an excuse to defraud or attack people, then it's a problem since it's gone beyond words and is thus punishable by law. That's why I don't think it's an issue in the United States.
Acting or not acting upon evil thoughts is the difference between a good and bad person.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15869 on: April 03, 2016, 06:17:45 pm »

Opinions and words don't harm anyone. But for the purpose of law and services, that equality is enforced by the courts.
... so out of morbid curiosity, how exactly do you explain the preponderance of evidence that that equality isn't being enforced by the courts? Because it wouldn't take you but like two minutes with google to note that enforcement and conviction rates aren't even remotely even, even when demographics (age, income, etc.) are otherwise similar.

Have you actually missed that a great heaping of the recent uproars have been explicitly because stuff's been going beyond words and not getting punished by law? Because that's kinda' been a major theme.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1056 1057 [1058] 1059 1060 ... 1342