Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547962 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15585 on: March 27, 2016, 12:44:00 pm »

Not sure how it was condescending, but um, staying out of this argument.

Anyway, neither Trump or Clinton are particularily popular by any definition (as this guy makes a point of), so, it'd be a 'caretaker' either way.

Their low popularity is also unprecedented for modern politics, going back to when the modern period of primaries began.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15586 on: March 27, 2016, 12:47:51 pm »

Their low popularity is also unprecedented for modern politics, going back to when the modern period of primates began.

What I thought you wrote, for about 2 seconds.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15587 on: March 27, 2016, 12:48:25 pm »

Their low popularity is also unprecedented for modern politics, going back to when the modern period of primates began.

What I thought you wrote, for about 2 seconds.

lol dude.....

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15588 on: March 27, 2016, 01:11:13 pm »

Honestly, if the majority wins, I can see bernie supporters continuing to keep up for years and thinking it's super depressing.
FTFY

A Clinton Presidency is not something I would greet with enthusiasm. At best, i'd see it as a "caretaker" tenure while we wait another 4-8 years to get a genuinely transformative candidate. (In the good way...Trump is certainly transformative, but not in the way I want to see).

Besides, if Hillary had her PUMAs, I fail to see why Bernie wouldn't be expected to have some diehards as well (and honestly, the kind of arrogant, condescending behavior the PUMAs had is extremely reminiscent of the arrogant condescension I'm seeing from her followers this cycle, IMHO.)

That's my thought. We're looking at a slimy, untrustworthy President; America has had them before and she'll face them again. Hillary won't kill the American experiment. Trump probably won't either, but it's a much more likely outcome. 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15589 on: March 27, 2016, 03:01:44 pm »

Their low popularity is also unprecedented for modern politics, going back 1992...

FTFY
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15590 on: March 27, 2016, 03:27:21 pm »

Redking, you are the condescending people you dont like.  You.  Not bernie supporters, you.  For evidence, see the post you just made.
Props for being able to separate me from other Bernie supporters. To be fair, my support is more predicated on his being the anti-Hillary, in the same way that people are supporting various others (including Hillary) as the anti-Trump.

If Joe Biden would have run, I'd probably be with Uncle Joe.

Im not taking the moral high ground here -- yeah, I'm being a dick. That's mostly due to realizing there's about an 85% chance that Her Royal Clinton is going to be the nominee. I didn't start out this cycle being acerbic, though I do remember saying a year or two ago that I *really* hoped she didn't run. I didn't particularly like her in 2008, and I sure as shit didn't warm up to her based on how she ran her campaign then, nor how she's run it now.

I'm disgusted with the Democrats for not being able to field a more competitive slate of candidates, I'm disgusted with the Republicans for not being able to field a non-repulsive candidate, and I'm disillusioned with Obama for reminding me that even the better Democrats are essentially Republicans with less odious social views. They're just as committed to free trade and outsourcing and globalism and military interventionism as the Republicans, they just do more hand-wringing over it. And they support the rights of gay, black and female CEOs, not just white male CEOs.

In that, at least Bernie is more than 50% palatable. Clinton *may* be at least similarly aligned on social issues (though I have serious doubts as to her commitment, given her late baptism as a progressive just in time to run for office), but she's absolutely a free trade globalist who will happily watch more jobs flow overseas in the name of fattening corporate profit margins, and she'll take donations from those corporations to keep the door open.

Hillary has also been ambiguous at best on the H1B visa program, despite documented abuse by a number of major companies. Sanders has pushed to raise H1B wages to levels competitive with native workers. Thus, if you really need "specialized labor", which is what the program is designed for, you can still import it, but you're gonna pay for it. As opposed to bringing in Indian programmers and DBAs because they're cheap, while shutting out Americans who are just as good or better, and whose only sin is being Americans and unable and unwilling to work for chicken feed.

Remember "it's the economy, stupid?"
Well, it's still the economy, and the last two decades have shown that neither party is particularly interested or effective at protecting the livelihoods of people too poor to donate to their campaign funds.

So yeah....I'm condescending to Hillary, and I will continue to be until she proves me wrong in my assessment of her.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15591 on: March 27, 2016, 03:59:21 pm »

I'm disgusted with the Democrats for not being able to field a more competitive slate of candidates,

I blame that one on Hillary's juggernaut scaring most everybody off because those who have a political future at stake and are wise and/or smart are avoiding getting crushed by the Hillary campaign. Hell, the Democrats were literally holding their breaths waiting to see if Hillary was going to run or not. If she hadn't run, then who knows what the slate would look like.

As for the Republicans, well, it's their own fault because their actions got them to that point.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 04:04:56 pm by smjjames »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15592 on: March 27, 2016, 04:19:37 pm »

Just passing through folks, I'd like to formally endorse Bernie Sanders for President of the United States. That is all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15593 on: March 27, 2016, 04:22:26 pm »

THE PROPHECY IS FULFILLED
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15594 on: March 27, 2016, 04:23:49 pm »

Holy shit it's Owlbread! Hi Owlbread!

'Just passing through' is fine, but be sure and visit a little more thoroughly before June. There's an impending Brexit that we'd appreciate your perspective on =D
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #15595 on: March 27, 2016, 05:10:46 pm »

Just passing through folks, I'd like to formally endorse Bernie Sanders for President of the United States. That is all.

THIS JUST IN: Hillary, Trump concede.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15596 on: March 27, 2016, 06:16:53 pm »

So yeah....I'm condescending to Hillary, and I will continue to be until she proves me wrong in my assessment of her.

It's more then Clinton, you portrayed my statements about what I expect with future races as inherently malign and hostile.  This wasn't even a matter of policy, it was a simple normative statement about probabilities.  This is the exact behavior that the republicans display that is so hostile towards progressives and pretty much the reason politics has gotten so fucked up over the past 20 years.  It's not a matter of disagreeing, it's labeling anyone who doesn't share your view as having no legitimacy.  Every political movement indulges in this from time to time but when it crops up enough it starts to get really troubling.  And no, it doesn't make the movement illegitimate (metapolitics!), it makes the movement hard to talk to.

You make up your mind on Clinton's character but you dont make up mine.  Like a lot of democrats, I find a lot to like about the woman.  She is willingly signing up to be world punching bag in chief.  Not just because it's the presidency.  She is signing up to be leader of the democrats in the face of a hostile congress that is dismissive towards the very concept of political liberalism.  And we need that.  Obama tried the reconciliation thing but it didn't work.  So Obama had to take ownership of every unpopular thing about government, accept the hate upon himself and be the adult in the room just to make sure the world doesn't fall apart.  Clinton is signing up for the political target and she is doing so after knowing first hand what the full brunt of this bullshit feels like.  She represents the end of the liberal cringe.  Republicans have acted like they can get what they want by just making things miserable enough for democratic politicians.  Well fuck you because we've got Hillary Clinton now and HCDGAF about this bullshit.  She has been on the receiving end of it for a long long time and she is willing to sign up for a lot more.  That's an attitude I really, really want in a politician right about now.

So yeah, go ahead and hate her.  But I'm going to continue to admire her.  So how about you hold off on the witch jokes and spare us some time?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15597 on: March 27, 2016, 06:28:11 pm »

It's not a matter of disagreeing, it's labeling anyone who doesn't share your view as having no legitimacy.
"Why can't you imbeciles just agree to support me even when we're directly opposed?"
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #15598 on: March 27, 2016, 06:31:19 pm »

It's not a matter of disagreeing, it's labeling anyone who doesn't share your view as having no legitimacy.
"Why can't you imbeciles just agree to support me even when we're directly opposed?"
Really? It's impossible to accept that opinions other than your own may be worthwhile? Any difference of thought implies direct opposition? I'm starting to think mainiac's got the right idea here. If you think he's directly opposed to you because he doesn't hate Clinton, you've gone off the tribal deep end.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15599 on: March 27, 2016, 06:37:59 pm »

Not the point, man. It's not maniac, it's Clinton. It's just not a valid argument to begin with, as if my support is obligated to someone who does not represent me just...because? What, because she has a (D) next to her name, so even though she directly and indirectly opposes things I support that I should still back her to avoid partisanship, and as maniac said in that post literally because she wants to be President?

And that said, it does replicate one of the things about Clinton that most repulses me, and that's her sense of entitlement to the Presidency and the loving support of everyone who doesn't think Trumpmania or the Cruzocracy is a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 06:40:17 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 1342