Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548704 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15510 on: March 25, 2016, 06:03:55 pm »

I kinda surprised we dont have such a person in this conversation already.  This forum tends towards education and liberalism.
were not liberal enough to consider gender studies an education

And likewise spelling and grammar appear to hold little value with you.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15511 on: March 25, 2016, 06:04:44 pm »

Unless there's someone who goes around thinking stuff like, "Oh my gaaawd look at the strong andric characteristics of that person's response to adverse circumstances, that gets me so hot!"
I actually do this. That's part of why I consider 'valkyrie' a compliment in the right context.

My then-girlfriend didn't take it that way, though, so YMMV.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #15512 on: March 25, 2016, 06:07:03 pm »

With all the times gender topics have gotten banhammered I think it's sort of retreated into the background on the forums.

I'm just curious, how did she take it? Valkyrie-as-idealized-male-woman kind of thing?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15513 on: March 25, 2016, 06:07:22 pm »

I actually do this. That's part of why I consider 'valkyrie' a compliment in the right context.

The game you're playing you'll be dragged to valhalla by valkyries soon enough

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15514 on: March 25, 2016, 06:17:48 pm »

I'm just curious, how did she take it? Valkyrie-as-idealized-male-woman kind of thing?
Mostly she thought I just called her fat. It sort of touched a soft spot of hers.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15515 on: March 25, 2016, 06:20:50 pm »

Unless there's someone who goes around thinking stuff like, "Oh my gaaawd look at the strong andric characteristics of that person's response to adverse circumstances, that gets me so hot!"

Why wouldn't Valkrie be a complement.

"Bitch you is like the angelic reaper Vikings wot flew around on horses with dirty great wings and carried off the bravest of the dead" doesn't sound like an insult ( unless the insulted just declared their pacifism I guess)
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15516 on: March 25, 2016, 06:23:21 pm »

What if your family were killed by Valkyries and transported to space and then someone said you looked like one

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15517 on: March 25, 2016, 06:29:48 pm »

"Bitch you is like the angelic reaper Vikings wot flew around on horses with dirty great wings and carried off the bravest of the dead" doesn't sound like an insult ( unless the insulted just declared their pacifism I guess)
Yeah, I thought so too. The most proper comparison I have for her is the Marianne in this painting:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That one she liked better.
The Bay12 postcard club

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15518 on: March 25, 2016, 06:31:45 pm »

The game you're playing you'll be dragged to valhalla by valkyries soon enough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVZOLV9SPo
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15520 on: March 25, 2016, 07:23:49 pm »

Valkyries are often associated primarily with their portrayal in Opera, in which they tend to be played (at least according to the popular imagery, I don't know if it's accurate) by large women with wobbly bodies and horns on their helmets.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15521 on: March 25, 2016, 07:47:05 pm »

Valkyries are often associated primarily with their portrayal in Opera, in which they tend to be played (at least according to the popular imagery, I don't know if it's accurate) by large women with wobbly bodies and horns on their helmets.
I have no idea about anyone else, but that's not really the imagery that I get.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #15522 on: March 25, 2016, 07:54:20 pm »

Yeah when I hear Valkyrie I hear OP hordes of cavalry with healing powers from AOM2 charging through my Ulfsarks, not a rotund soprano with a spiky helmet / bugs bunny cross-dressing as usual in an epic opera

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15523 on: March 25, 2016, 07:59:17 pm »

I think my first exposure to them was either a Looney Toons episode or a Courage the Cowardly Dog episode when I was a small child, with my reading of Norse myth to understand the orignal concept behind the Valkyrie not coming until I was about 11 or 12. Depending on the context of the conversation I'll imagine them either as plump prima donnas with high voices, or as warrior women striding among the slain.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #15524 on: March 25, 2016, 08:02:23 pm »

I was going to say the same thing.

Also:
https://www.change.org/p/quicken-loans-arena-allow-open-carry-of-firearms-at-the-quicken-loans-arena-during-the-rnc-convention-in-july-2

Regardless of your political beliefs, you should find something funny about this.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 1033 1034 [1035] 1036 1037 ... 1342