Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549462 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #15390 on: March 24, 2016, 04:17:50 pm »

1) Operating revenues increased 6.6% while operating loses increased over 9%.  That means that they were eating the loses, not passing them on to you.
Percentages are the devil's tools. If they had revenue of $100 and losses of $10, and then the next year they had revenue of $130 and losses of $20, they could say that operating losses increased 100%, while revenues increased only 30%.

Are there hard numbers to go with those percentages?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15391 on: March 24, 2016, 04:20:16 pm »

In news: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/in-syria-and-iraq-the-islamic-state-is-in-retreat-on-multiple-fronts/2016/03/24/a0e33774-f101-11e5-a2a3-d4e9697917d1_story.html

Can't you get a link from someplace that doesn't have paywall?

Anyway, I'm wondering if it's a tactical/strategic retreat (as in regrouping) or actual retreats?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15392 on: March 24, 2016, 04:25:55 pm »

Yes, the earnings statement linked in the article, which I then linked again in the post.

And the operating loss ratio rose from 84.5% to 87%, so it's not the devils numbers.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15393 on: March 24, 2016, 04:30:52 pm »

... Paywall?

* Shadowlord looks confused

I've never run into a paywall on their site.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15394 on: March 24, 2016, 04:39:26 pm »

Yes, the earnings statement linked in the article, which I then linked again in the post.

And the operating loss ratio rose from 84.5% to 87%, so it's not the devils numbers.
Okay, from that very earnings statement:
The growth in revenue reflected premium increases to cover overall cost trends and higher enrollment in the Medicaid and Commercial self-funded businesses.

Overall, the way they've got their report structured, it's impossible to pick out which accounts are tied to ACA and which aren't.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15395 on: March 24, 2016, 04:45:45 pm »

The growth in revenue reflected premium increases to cover overall cost trends and higher enrollment in the Medicaid and Commercial self-funded businesses.

Yes, overall cost trends.  I.E. that thing that has been happening for 60 years.  But if you look at the breakdown in the earnings statement you will see that the existing market was not more profitable then it has been in the past.  So the increase in the existing market for this one insurer was actually less then the medical inflation for that segment.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #15396 on: March 24, 2016, 04:51:03 pm »

One of the great "problems" with the ACA is that it killed off (by making them illegal) a lot of attractive-looking, cheaply priced health plans that had so many limitations and escape clauses buried in the fine print or hidden by clever legalese that they covered almost nothing - most of the people I've personally known to have "lost" their healthcare or had their rates skyrocket had plans of this type.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15397 on: March 24, 2016, 04:52:48 pm »

Honestly, health insurance companies can go die in a fire. They provide no value to people, and only serve to monetize something that should be a basic human right.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15398 on: March 24, 2016, 04:55:40 pm »

I'd argue that's true of most insurance companies, not just health.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15399 on: March 24, 2016, 05:04:25 pm »

I'd argue that's true of most insurance companies, not just health.
I'd agree with you, but that's a big can of worms to open all at once, and I know how the forum can be sometimes.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #15400 on: March 24, 2016, 05:05:04 pm »

Auto insurance companies provide certainty in an uncertain world at a very low price.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15401 on: March 24, 2016, 05:07:59 pm »

Auto insurance companies provide* certainty** in an uncertain world at a very low*** price.
*Provide, as per state laws that say that drivers are required to have it even with a spotless driving record.
**Sometimes, if the law says they have to.
***For varying degrees of "very low," which does not take into account the ability to pay of the insured, depending on how local laws are written.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15402 on: March 24, 2016, 05:09:41 pm »

So is no one going to talk about the pro-discrimination bill that just passed in NC yesterday? The one that removes several legal protections on employment (including race), bans unisex bathrooms, makes it illegal to use bathrooms that don't match up with your assigned-at-birth gender? The one that is modeled after official Republican policy, and will likely be put in across the country if the Rs win this election? The one that 9 other states are trying to follow suit on right at this very moment? Including a Kansas bill that puts a bounty on outing transgendered kids in school bathrooms (oh, that's going to be great)?

Tell me again how the Republicans and the Democrats are the same, please, as one of these parties starts building hate directly into legislation.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15403 on: March 24, 2016, 05:11:01 pm »

... Paywall?

* Shadowlord looks confused

I've never run into a paywall on their site.

Some online papers are now hitting you up for a subscription if you look at a certain number of articles per month from the same IP address.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #15404 on: March 24, 2016, 05:12:36 pm »

Auto insurance companies provide certainty in an uncertain world at a very low price.
... usually not a very low price. Maybe lower than health, but sometimes friggin' rent is lower than health. But yeah, auto's relatively useful considering how bloody dangerous vehicles are and the whole way it very directly involves other people much of the time.

And hadn't heard yet, will. Dunno how else to express it besides "sucks". Though it'll probably get knocked down in the scotus, but... ugh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1025 1026 [1027] 1028 1029 ... 1342