Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548238 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14880 on: March 16, 2016, 11:48:54 pm »

Wikipedia has this to say:
According to rule number 40 of the RNC rules a candidate must demonstrate the support of a majority in at least eight state delegations before his name is presented for nomination,[5] but this rule may be changed for the 2016 convention.[6] A state is often referred to as "won" by a candidate if a plurality of the states delegates are bound to him, but for the state to count as one of the eight a majority of the states delegates has to be reached. Convention rules are based on delegates won, and not the popular vote. In the context of Republican primaries, the term 'states' refers collectively to states, federal districts and territories, altogether 56, rather than the actual 50 states alone.

Who wants to bet on the correlation between whether that rule is changed and whether Kasich manages to win 8 states? Though that said, if they plan on trying to peddle Romney up once again like a polished old turd, they'll have to change it regardless.

Romney has said that he would refuse nomination in the convention, so no, it won't be Romney.

I've also read elsewhere that rule 40 is actually only a temporary one which applied to 2012. Technically the rules for the convention haven't been set up yet, I don't think.

Besides, if they tried to do anything that would amount to the establishment trying to rig it, it'll be a disaster.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:53:48 pm by smjjames »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14882 on: March 17, 2016, 12:44:04 am »

If the primaries start to go the other way, and Cruz or Kasich end up with more delegates than Trump as we roll into the convention, I'll be amazed, but I'd accept it gracefully. But if Trump walks into that convention with the most delegates out of all the nominees, and doesn't walk out of it with the nomination, then it starts to get a little ripe, and it only gets riper the more of a lead he walked into it with.

To me that's not really true. Trump is happy to use the Republican party to his advantage when it suits his own purposes. If he wanted to be a lone wolf he could of run as an independent. These things work both ways. You can't run as part of a party, piss all your colleagues off then cry foul if it bites you in the arse.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14883 on: March 17, 2016, 12:48:38 am »

But if Trump walks into that convention with the most delegates out of all the nominees, and doesn't walk out of it with the nomination, then it starts to get a little ripe, and it only gets riper the more of a lead he walked into it with.

Trump has won 39% of the republican popular vote so far.  (less but I cant be bothered to tally up the also rans in the early states)
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/republican_vote_count.html

Suppose we project Trump averaging 39% until the end.  This site has sliders you can play around with:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/03/16/upshot/trump-cruz-kasich-republican-delegate-lead.html

39% probably leaves Trump short of sealing the nomination.  It also probably leaves Trump strongly in the lead in delegates.  However Trump is left trying to claim a mandate when a super majority just voted against him and most voters in his party dont like him.  A joint Cruz-Kasich ticket for instance would represent a far larger number of voters then Trump won.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14884 on: March 17, 2016, 12:53:13 am »

You can't run as part of a party, piss all your colleagues off then cry foul if it bites you in the arse.

what

that sounds like classic Trumping to me

you totally can do that, if you're buoyed by whatever political eddies are wafting Trump

If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14885 on: March 17, 2016, 01:10:13 am »

Especially since he's not so much running in a party as just dressed in its skin, flapping its hollow fingers knowingly at his supporters and grinning as the blood runs down his face.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14886 on: March 17, 2016, 01:32:09 am »

Personally, I think that if Trump could erect a defensive perimeter across the southern border and deport all illegals within 18 months, while simultaneous imposing 35% tariffs on foreign trade, it would be great for blue collar workers- suddenly it's a post-bubonic plague economy, where every individual left standing is valuable labor.

You just, you know, want to make sure you have enough canned preserves and ordinance to last until we actually have enough fields being tilled to feed our own population, at a living wage...

Also, some dirt on Trump. For all his machismo, this is pretty bad, in my book. Not for the faint of heart.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 01:35:43 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14887 on: March 17, 2016, 01:36:34 am »

If Trump is actually elected and does run the country into the ground, maybe we'll learn in the future not to elect another person like him, right? right?

... I made a joke but all I feel is morbid cynicism
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14888 on: March 17, 2016, 01:38:49 am »

If Trump is actually elected and does run the country into the ground, maybe we'll learn in the future not to elect another person like him, right? right?

I would be all for an amendment to the Constitution that disqualified people who eat their steaks well-done from running for the presidency. It's just common sense.
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14889 on: March 17, 2016, 02:09:16 am »

I would be all for an amendment to the Constitution that disqualified people who eat their steaks well-done from running for the presidency. It's just common sense.

Ftfy!  ::)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14890 on: March 17, 2016, 02:39:24 am »

Ftfy!  ::)

Not sure if vocal vegan, or implying Trump has a proclivity for male genitals.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 03:01:56 am by Ibid Straydrink »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14891 on: March 17, 2016, 02:46:48 am »

Not sure if vocal or vegan
I was unaware that those were two different things.[/unfunnyhowdoyouknowifsomeoneisvegandontworrytheylltellyoujoke]

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14892 on: March 17, 2016, 03:03:54 am »

Not sure if vocal or vegan
I was unaware that those were two different things.[/unfunnyhowdoyouknowifsomeoneisvegandontworrytheylltellyoujoke]

Damned be your opportunistic abuse of my grammatical typo, which I will arbitrarily brand as "political correctness" and condemn you for.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14893 on: March 17, 2016, 03:56:48 am »

Or they might be vegetarian.

Or Hindu.

Or not like Steak.

Or not like trump.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #14894 on: March 17, 2016, 05:58:06 am »

Donald was asked about his foreign-policy advisers yesterday morning.

I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things.

You couldn't make this shit up if you tried. Remember four years ago when Romney got in hot water for such benign soundbites as "47%" and "binders full of women"?

Me either.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.
Pages: 1 ... 991 992 [993] 994 995 ... 1342