Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548195 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14790 on: March 16, 2016, 02:22:24 pm »

DWB is definitely more prevalent than any of those, Rolan.
I didn't claim otherwise, and that's really not an argument I'd like to have.  Sanders technically said that, as white people, we don't know what it's like for these things to happen.  Which is dismissing a hell of a lot of victims.

I'm not trying to say racism isn't a huge factor.  I just don't like being told I don't understand hardship, dangerous streets, or police mistreatment because I'm white.  I'm in a good place *now*, I wasn't always.  A lot of my white family still isn't, and they aren't getting special aid for it.  (Inb4 I'm accused of opposing affirmative action.  I support it, it just hurts my family.)

And while he clarified, he didn't apologize.  In fact he sorta double-downed, emphasizing that "white police officers" are abusing black communities, and saying "I don't want to be lectured about talking about poverty, whether it's white, black, Latino,".
Police misconduct aside, that didn't score any points with me.  It seemed pandering and divisive.  He should have focused on the *very real* issue, instead of... Well, making an offensive generalization based on skin color.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14791 on: March 16, 2016, 02:31:52 pm »

I guess I don't see how saying "I don't want to be lectured about talking about poverty, whether it's white, black, Latino" is doubling down, pandering or divisive. Seems to me he's specifically focusing on poverty instead of race.  ???

I also don't see how saying white people can't fully grok what it's like to be black (or Latino, or Asian-American or whatever) is offensive. Growing up affluent and white and saying "I understand your struggle because I watched Straight Outta Compton" is offensive. I can sympathize and I can support, but hell if I can say I know what it's like.

I grew up white and poor for a while too. Doesn't mean our circumstances are the same and that I "get" you anymore than you do me.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14792 on: March 16, 2016, 02:49:05 pm »

I guess I don't see how saying "I don't want to be lectured about talking about poverty, whether it's white, black, Latino" is doubling down, pandering or divisive. Seems to me he's specifically focusing on poverty instead of race.  ???
That wasn't the doubling down part.  That was the indignant ending jab, and the only part that mentioned that non-blacks can be poor.  First he had to remind everyone that "white cops" are murdering black people.  He accidentally alienates 75% of the poor people in America, and that's his response.  It would have been a very backhanded apology, but there was no apology at all.
I also don't see how saying white people can't fully grok what it's like to be black (or Latino, or Asian-American or whatever) is offensive.
It wouldn't be, but that's just not what he said.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14793 on: March 16, 2016, 03:23:26 pm »

I personally agree with Rolan.

If he'd just said: "I don't grok the black experience," I would have been cool with it.

If he'd said: "I haven't experienced the school-to-prison pipeline or what it's like being hassled because I was driving while black," I would have been cool with it.

It was specifically the "I'm white, so I don't know what it's like being poor, growing up in a ghetto, being hassled by the police" thing which stank.

For a parallel, it's like he said: "I'm a guy, so I don't know what it's like to be a woman--I haven't been raped." We've already discussed why that's a problem in this very thread. There are statements similar to that statement that would not be offensive, but what he said in that context, and then following it up with "don't lecture me about poverty [that I just said I don't know about]" was a very bad combo.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14794 on: March 16, 2016, 03:41:20 pm »

And if his allies introduced something that Congress never even brought to the floor, then I would expect Sanders to make hay of that and not stop until they did.

So in other words he will introduce a bill that will die in committee.  And this will avert the problem of "Many progressives will still be frustrated with the glacial pace of change".

Because if there is ONE thing that we should say about Bernie Sanders supporters as opposed to Clinton supporters, it's the Bernie Sanders supporters are going to be more patient.  They dont expect him to transform politics or anything.  They'll look at a bill that he endorses and which is dead on arrival in congress and say "oh boy!  I can't wait to stay motivated for two years and then vote in the midterms!"  People fed up with status quo politics will be delighted to hear that nothing is happening.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14795 on: March 16, 2016, 03:43:36 pm »

So....you're arguing that white people totally know what it's like to be pulled over by a cop because they're white?

I got pulled over by a cop because I wanted a snickers bar at 11 pm...  I mean... I can't prove that's WHY he pulled me over, but that was the circumstances of the situation.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14796 on: March 16, 2016, 03:44:34 pm »

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 09:31:23 pm by penguinofhonor »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14797 on: March 16, 2016, 03:48:46 pm »

So....you're arguing that white people totally know what it's like to be pulled over by a cop because they're white?

I got pulled over by a cop because I wanted a snickers bar at 11 pm...  I mean... I can't prove that's WHY he pulled me over, but that was the circumstances of the situation.

The reason why people are concerned about prejudice against people of color and women is because those are things that happen a lot.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14798 on: March 16, 2016, 03:58:30 pm »

In all honesty, it was a back country road, I think they just wanted something to do, NOBODY else was on the road that night, and I happened to pick that night to have a chocolate craving but not have any chocolate in the house, so I went for a drive and got pulled over. Spent about 10 minutes circling my car, looking for an excuse, because my car was old and poorly maintained and probably had SOMETHING wrong, finally came up and told me my license plate sticker was out of date... which it was... but I had the current registration in the car, and how they saw the date on that little 1 inch sticker from the side of the road in the middle of the night as I was going by at 55mph I'll never know.

Anyway, held me up for about an hour, then let me go. And I never got my snickers... store was out of em... just a milky way instead.

And I'm not saying that prejudice against people of color doesn't happen. I KNOW it does... But not every traffic stop is prejudicial. Sometimes there are good reasons, sometimes there's no reason at all.

It happens, it's annoying, but it's pretty easy to get past as well. Now, obviously if someone is being a dick about it, pulling over the same person over and over again without a good reason (If you don't fix your tail light or whatever, yeah, you're going to keep getting pulled over.) then yeah, cut that shit.

But that's another discussion. I'm not trying to start an argument here, it happens, it sucks, black people get pulled over more, and sometimes it is because of racism.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14799 on: March 16, 2016, 04:21:50 pm »

I found a Bernie Sanders online dating site. I have already found 12 accounts with the name "Donald Trump"
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14800 on: March 16, 2016, 04:22:52 pm »

Seriously what.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14801 on: March 16, 2016, 04:24:35 pm »

It's the internet, it's guaranteed that theres going to be wierd stuff somewhere.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14802 on: March 16, 2016, 04:26:04 pm »

247 female out of 9156 members....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

EDIT: Wait, it turns out there's only 355 men registered on the site? I guess the vast majority isn't listing a gender. Whoops. Egg on my cheeks!

EDITx2: Yep, 7 out of 60 lesbians registered are female. Ok then.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 04:34:06 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14804 on: March 16, 2016, 04:36:35 pm »

I found a Bernie Sanders online dating site. I have already found 12 accounts with the name "Donald Trump"
Cunning plan to make berni supporters multiply
Pages: 1 ... 985 986 [987] 988 989 ... 1342