Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547731 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #14130 on: March 10, 2016, 10:56:34 pm »

o7

I appreciate your argument! I'll rethink my position.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14131 on: March 10, 2016, 10:59:26 pm »

Now I'm teaching kids who seem like they've just never seen how to deal with a fraction in eighth grade, or how to add 35 and 10 in their heads. There has been a real decline in basic skills because there is no longer as much training in the basics.

Yeah, we've all been there.  I had a student today who took two minutes every time I asked him a simple arithmetic problem.  But can I offer you a statistic that indicates that more people are learning basic math?
http://www.nationsreportcard.gov/reading_math_2015/#mathematics/scores?grade=8
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14132 on: March 10, 2016, 11:03:14 pm »

CLOSING STATEMENTS!!

Kasich: Raise it up! Raise the roof! Raise Ohio! I filled Ohio with puppydogs and balloons, and I can do the same to America.

Rubio: MIAMI!! The city that keeps the roof blazin! (Oh God, please vote for me Florida or I'll have to find a real job)

Cruz: Three regular guys and a super-rich guy walk into a bar....and then go beat up Hillary Clinton.

Trump: I have millions of supporters. They're good people. And some, I assume, are rapists and murderers. And if you don't nominate me, you kiss their backwards asses goodbye in the general election.

EDIT:
Now I'm teaching kids who seem like they've just never seen how to deal with a fraction in eighth grade, or how to add 35 and 10 in their heads. There has been a real decline in basic skills because there is no longer as much training in the basics.

Yeah, we've all been there.  I had a student today who took two minutes every time I asked him a simple arithmetic problem.  But can I offer you a statistic that indicates that more people are learning basic math?
http://www.nationsreportcard.gov/reading_math_2015/#mathematics/scores?grade=8
Score went down from 285 to 282. Your argument is invalid.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14133 on: March 10, 2016, 11:03:46 pm »

I wonder if Rubio will get any bounce out of this? A few polls show him being a bit closer to Trump in Florida than most other polls.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14134 on: March 10, 2016, 11:06:57 pm »

Nightly Closing Statements void due to technical difficulties. For English, press one. For all other languages, get out of our country you parasite scum.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14135 on: March 10, 2016, 11:08:15 pm »

Learning how to abuse game mechanics was an essential part of my getting a good grasp on mathematics.  Developers can't be bothered to model things like economies accurately. As a consequence, they are rife for abuse.  If you understand math, you can see this, and abuse for fun and profit.

Take for instance, Fable II and Fable III.

Those games really strongly introduce a "Real-estate" mechanic. it's wholly optional. You can choose not to, but you would be stupid not to abuse the shit out of it. The problem is that this mechanic does not self limit like genuine real-estate does. Once you own 100% of the properties, prices dont suddenly shift-- or other forces related to supply vs demand. Instead, it is a guaranteed income generator. You can LITERALLY make 10 million gold every 10 minutes, doing NOTHING, if you aggressively go for the real-estate mechanic.

Another is Elderscrolls III: Morrowind.  The game bases certain actions/outcomes on certain base values using a bland formula. This gives rise to things like the "Super potion" exploit. Basically, the game bases the strength/duration of a potion on your intelligence value, and your alchemy skill level, with no cap.  So, if you brew a fortify intelligence potion, it makes your INT score go up-- now your potions will be slightly stronger. Buy up ingredients, make a potion, quaff a potion, rinse, repeat. After a few minutes of doing this, your fortify INT potions will be upping your int score by millions of points, the potions will last for literal days worth of time, and be worth millions of GC. Once you have done this, you can fortify other base stats while grooving on super potion, making any and all challenge to the game evaporate. (Try dying when your health regenerates at +10000000hp/sec, for instance.)

Understanding math is a very powerful tool for smashing video games. Seeing the opportunities gives you more deep insight into the math behind the game, and in particular, the failings behind those mechanics.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14136 on: March 10, 2016, 11:10:04 pm »

Nightly Closing Statements void due to technical difficulties. For English, press one. For all other languages, get out of our country you parasite scum.

Learning how to abuse game mechanics was an essential part of my getting a good grasp on mathematics.  Developers can't be bothered to model things like economies accurately. As a consequence, they are rife for abuse.  If you understand math, you can see this, and abuse for fun and profit.

Not so much can't be bothered as even the most simple complete economic simulation requires a lot of knowledge to make complete.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14137 on: March 10, 2016, 11:11:11 pm »

My two cents on math:

I think it's becoming a cultural idea in the US that smart people are smart people and you can't ever be them so don't try if you hit even a little roadblock. When I ask my friends why they're dropping out and quitting college, they just say that they're not smart enough. They don't view it as a matter of training and hard work to improve, they act like they were born with a lower proficiency at school, which I think speaks to the whole argument about standardized testing and assessment. It doesn't seem like people go to school to learn, when I hear people talk about class. They go to be assessed and see if they're smart enough to get a Degree And A Good Jobtm.

It wasn't until later in high school, when I had basically the same thing explained to me, that I became an active student and generally a lot smarter about my studies. I wasn't bad at math, I just hadn't received the right training. But literally nobody thinks like that, that I've seen.

I'm not an expert or anything, I'm just a maths student who has spent almost 100% of their life glued to screens. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14138 on: March 10, 2016, 11:14:06 pm »

I'm not sure if it's a math related issue but it's certainly a BFD.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #14139 on: March 10, 2016, 11:14:43 pm »

I think that's a fair argument. With all the testing it's like "Are you smart now? No? How about a week later? No, still dumb."
My daughter literally takes more standardized tests in a single year than I took in my entire K-12 education. Now, in her case, she's blowing them out of the water. But after the first couple, that's not really telling us anything we don't already know.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14140 on: March 10, 2016, 11:15:05 pm »

After-closing statement from Trump:
I have the most votes.  Clinton doesn't support violence?  Well isn't she a cute little political player.

Honestly this debate had me a bit more sympathetic with Kasich and even Trump, but thankfully Trump knocked that down hard with certain statements.
And Kasich doesn't have a chance in hell
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14141 on: March 10, 2016, 11:15:38 pm »

Hm. The other thing I feel is that there's a lot of teachers who are more interested in evaluating their students and finding out Which Ones Are The Good Ones and Which Ones are the Chaff than are interested in... teaching.

But that's not their job. Their job is to teach, goddammit >_>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #14142 on: March 10, 2016, 11:25:18 pm »

I mean, that's what you should expect when every other complaint about schools nowadays is that the Good Ones are getting dragged down by the Chaff.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14143 on: March 10, 2016, 11:28:30 pm »

I mean, that's what you should expect when every other complaint about schools nowadays is that the Good Ones are getting dragged down by the Chaff.

I will tell you that the rule of pairing the most able student in the class with the least able one is borderline moronic. You should pair students with complementary weak points, so that they can learn from each other.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14144 on: March 10, 2016, 11:29:31 pm »

This comes back again to the "Information can be transferred, but understanding cannot" issue.

Typically, a good teacher tries to find a small nugget of understanding that the student possesses already, then builds on that understanding to reach the understanding desired.  They do not give the initial understanding, they have to find it.

On the flipside, you have information. As long as the student can understand spoken language, information can by given-- Understanding of the information notwithstanding. (rote memorization drills, et al.)

Vector, you are lamenting that there is less pre-existing understanding on which to build to the desired level of understanding. (Nobody cooks at home any more, so no experience/understanding there. Nobody makes their own cabinetry anymore -- so , none there either, etc.)

Kids aren't dumb-- they just have different life experiences now, and teachers are less able to pick up on the already existing understanding the students have, to build those competencies.  Couple that with dunning-kruger, and you have a bad picture.

Pages: 1 ... 941 942 [943] 944 945 ... 1342