Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 896 897 [898] 899 900 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550773 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Donald J. Trump's Jet Fuel Can't Melt Steel Beams 2016 Megathread
« Reply #13455 on: March 03, 2016, 11:02:52 pm »

(I liked the new Star Trek movies...)

I walked out of the first one liking it.  It's cool to have a fast paced action movie to reboot a series.  But the idea is that after you reboot it things are supposed to get more complex and deeper and start getting into the philosophy of Star Trek.  You scratch beneath the surface and there's nothing there.  At this point, Star Trek needs another friggin reboot!
Who knows? Maybe this time the odd-numbered star treks will be the good ones.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13456 on: March 03, 2016, 11:07:39 pm »

Whether it's stupid or not, crowdfunding has significantly changed the financial consequences of doing anything politically charged.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #13457 on: March 03, 2016, 11:11:49 pm »

Then you're compensating people based on how well they are at milking their situation for sympathy bucks. I'd rather just have a law against discrimination.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13459 on: March 03, 2016, 11:16:10 pm »

Looking at that 'Star Wars' project thing Cruz was talking about, there is indeed a treaty against nuclear weapons which the US has agreed to, but theres also another one 10 years ago which bans any kind of weapon (that can be used to attack other nations, don't know about guns) in space.... but the US didn't sign to that one.

Not sure if that second one actually got fully ratified and is international law.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Militarisation_of_space#Space_treaties
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 11:18:53 pm by smjjames »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13460 on: March 03, 2016, 11:34:41 pm »

There's the other argument that it creates incentives for companies to serve those discriminated against, providing a larger market due to the sudden split in a specific market demographic. That, coupled with negative reviews and such, would be a net drain on the company refusing to serve the client under discriminatory reasons, providing a net loss for them and a net gain for those who do not operate under discriminatory practices in service.

The problem with that argument is that it completely ignores where this thing would be applied. It's going to be applied in small, homophobic towns where everyone knows everyone else. It's not going to happen in a city convenience store, how would the clerk even know unless you randomly announced your sexual preferences?
The owner of the only grocery store in town isn't going to worry about marketing forces damaging his business if he refuses to serve the only openly gay guy. And when that happens, where would there be to turn to? I doubt any entrepreneurs would spring up to open a competing business in that situation. So on top of whatever discrimination they're already facing, open homosexuals (or whatever other religiously persecuted group) now have to either do all their shopping out of town, leave outright, or starve.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13461 on: March 03, 2016, 11:35:12 pm »

How you gonna ban weapons in space anyways? Everything in orbit with the ability to deorbit or adjust course to hit another thing in orbit is a potential weapon (to say nothing of The Kzinti Lesson).

Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13462 on: March 03, 2016, 11:39:01 pm »

@nogoodnames
And once we've all left, the bombing can commence.

... But yeah in the real world, you're right.  I didn't think about small towns, and it basically means no recourse because "I dont's hafta provide basic necessities to dat [slur] because Bible!  Nevermind that we's all sinners."
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13463 on: March 04, 2016, 06:59:07 am »

So Bernie vs Trump debate, apparently.

Hosted by Fox, who hates them both.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13464 on: March 04, 2016, 07:15:36 am »

So, what's that "hatchet job" thing RedKing was referring to, with graphs, FOX news and Trump?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13465 on: March 04, 2016, 08:41:44 am »

In election news, the campaign commercials are in full force in my state. Rubio is pushing hard, and the more I hear of him the more he sounds like a whiny teenager reading a script written by someone else.

Also tired to hearing Reagan (and to a lesser extent Lincoln) being dug up and used as puppets but that's nothing new.

Also, despite not being a trump supporter, hearing that KKK thing being brought up by just about anyone causes me to lose respect for them.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13466 on: March 04, 2016, 08:45:33 am »

In election news, the campaign commercials are in full force in my state. Rubio is pushing hard, and the more I hear of him the more he sounds like a whiny teenager reading a script written by someone else.

The famed republican deep bench.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13467 on: March 04, 2016, 09:24:50 am »

Also tired to hearing Reagan (and to a lesser extent Lincoln) being dug up and used as puppets but that's nothing new.

Also, despite not being a trump supporter, hearing that KKK thing being brought up by just about anyone causes me to lose respect for them.

I've been getting Clinton and Sanders ads for a week or two now, no republican campaign ads yet.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #13468 on: March 04, 2016, 09:27:59 am »

Kasich is a competent and eloquent man with policy based on what actually works according to practical evidence. If elected, he could well make one of our most effective presidents, particularly with regards to domestic policy, in living memory. Naturally, he hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell.

If by "works" you mean "successfully ruined education and infrastructure throughout most of the state", you would be correct. Kasich looks good in comparison to Michigan's Snyder, because he (so far) hasn't helped poison thousands of citizens, but that's not a very high bar. Kasich did very little (other than make a few photo ops) during the water crisis a few years ago, and has opposed most of the regulations that would prevent a recurrence. He cut funding for schools and libraries as part of his budget, stripped a huge amount of vital state funding for cities, and takes credit for a slightly-below-average economic growth.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13469 on: March 04, 2016, 09:44:53 am »

Ads in my state have suddenly stopped.

(Because I'm from Texas,  :P)
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)
Pages: 1 ... 896 897 [898] 899 900 ... 1342