Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544244 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #11850 on: February 16, 2016, 09:34:04 am »

Besides, don't you guys think Obama would want a break for a while after his term is over? Not that he'll disappear from the political scene entirely.
A post on the SCOTUS is a break. He gets to start acting like a crotchety old man before he's even properly middle-aged.  :P
Just to kinda' nip this, so far as I'm aware Obama has already came out saying he doesn't want a SCOTUS seat (though finding the quote(s) on that have been a complete sumbitch, what with current events). Something about having a distinct disinterest in what the job entails, iirc.

Yeah, as I've tried to say earlier, I saw somewhere that he has said that he doesn't want to be on the SCOTUS. Frumple probably read the same article as I did since the same explaination was there, he had no interest in the kind of work or something.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: February 16, 2016, 09:54:51 am »

He's also probably not the best candidate for the job.

I'm seeing the name of Sri Srinivasan thrown around a lot. He's an Obama appointee, but seems rather moderate-to-conservative, and was approved unanimously by the Senate back in 2013, so the GOP won't be able to paint him as some firebrand liberal.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: February 16, 2016, 10:13:50 am »

I'm sure the republicans will try to argue that Sri isn't American enough just to try and block the nomination just because Obama.

I don't know how many SCOTUS Justices weren't born in the US.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: February 16, 2016, 11:27:06 am »

Latest couple of polls out of SC show Clinton's lead over Sanders basically cut in half in the month of February. She was enjoying roughly a 40-point advantage, she's now around 20. Looks like it's not as much Sanders making inroads with black voters (he still loses them to Clinton by roughly a 3-1 margin) but rather by getting increasingly higher shares of white Democratic voters (2-1 margin). There's a real danger of this becoming a "race" primary if the pattern holds.

Though I am eager to see how hard Hillary will pander if that goes on.
inb4 she twerks to "Shawty Got Low"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: February 16, 2016, 11:33:47 am »

What about hispanics? Like how well does Sanders do with those compared with Clinton.

Clinton also has a problem with youth, who are going largely for Sanders, so, it wouldn't be that simple.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: February 16, 2016, 12:24:46 pm »

You just said that a worker who doesn't like a work arrangement with their employer is free to quit.
literally when
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: February 16, 2016, 12:56:39 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/16/politics/ted-cruz-military-speech-gluten-free/index.html Eh? Isn't he aware that there are people who are allergic/intolerant to gluten? Almost sounds like he is saying gluten intolerant people can't be in the military, or maybe that is what he is saying.

I'm not gluten intolerant myself, but the whole gluten free MRE thing sounds a heck of a lot more like accommodating disability than being PC.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: February 16, 2016, 01:11:13 pm »

What about hispanics? Like how well does Sanders do with those compared with Clinton.

Clinton also has a problem with youth, who are going largely for Sanders, so, it wouldn't be that simple.
Hard to say, I haven't seen a lot of polling on that. I know the Clinton campaign did get some backlash for their "Hispandering".
#NotMiAbuela

A lot of the data I can find seems to lump black and Latino voters together, which is just bad methodology.

@smjjames:
Don't you know? Muslims can't digest wheat, because wheat is OF THE LORD. Any gluten-intolerant "soldiers" in our Army are secretly Muslim sympathizers.*

*This explanation brought to you by the Dr. Ben Carson's Biblical Answers To Some Hurdles In Today's World.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: February 16, 2016, 01:12:55 pm »

If we eliminate gluten-free food from the military, less people will be able to join the military, therefore less people will be in the military. THEREFORE, Cruz supports a smaller military, and if he is elected will allow ISIS to kill your children.
This advertisement paid for by Fuck Ted "Osama" Cruz for America foundation for the advancement of God.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11860 on: February 16, 2016, 01:50:46 pm »

I know you're joking but there is actually a big problem with the US military and obese children not being able to enlist, with families who for generations had their sons join the army unable to due to obesity

Cruz confirmed for McISIS King shill

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: February 16, 2016, 01:53:12 pm »

You just said that a worker who doesn't like a work arrangement with their employer is free to quit.
literally when

Was that not what you meant by saying people are free to jump ship in employment markets?

works out to being a monopoly on the labor supply. There are lots of good reasons for people who like free trade to oppose monopolies. The biggest is that it upsets one of the major assumptions about what keeps folks honest - that if you're a dickbag, your customers can just go somewhere else.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: February 16, 2016, 02:43:18 pm »

Ah, that was not what I meant. You got it backwards. In the labor market, employers are the customers. They are buying labor from its providers, workers. The converse is also an assumption, but it's not what I was talking about. And the free market capitalist remedy would be to ensure that there is adequate employer diversity and demand for labor that people really do have that option, rather than to introduce one market distortion to correct another. How they'd do it, exactly, is something that could be argued about, but it probably wouldn't be through unions.

Also, keep in mind that, as I said, I'm not a capitalist. I'm trying to illustrate the worldview that a person must hold who honestly believes that a free market economy is an inherent good, which admittedly does leave me open to the risk of accidentally strawmanning.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: February 16, 2016, 02:47:53 pm »

Is Ted Cruz going to make sure MREs contain peanuts too?

I'm pretty sure commanders in the field are not responsible for preparing and packaging MREs.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: February 16, 2016, 02:52:18 pm »

Is Ted Cruz going to make sure MREs contain peanuts too?

I'm pretty sure commanders in the field are not responsible for preparing and packaging MREs.
Actually, the army is not even responsible for MRE's. They're outsourced to a couple of private companies.

Hmm...somebody should check and see if Cruz has any stock in those companies and/or a wheat producer. Or if any of those have donated liberally to his campaign fund.

Pages: 1 ... 789 790 [791] 792 793 ... 1342