Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544242 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #10140 on: January 23, 2016, 09:50:13 pm »

Having a Trump-Sanders general election competition would be a hell of a thing, for one, they are both on the extremes of their wings.

One has to ask, where the heck is the moderate/centrist candidate? Since the two parties are pulling away from the center and making the average curve look like it has two peaks instead of the one it's supposed to have.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10141 on: January 23, 2016, 09:51:23 pm »

Centrists are kill, replaced with shill

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10142 on: January 23, 2016, 09:53:12 pm »

By all polling data Bernie would actually blow Trump out of the water. More than Hillary, if I recall correctly.
It makes sense.  People right now are going to vote against the establishment (so Bernie or Trump) but primarily against the rich.

People don't vote *for* anything in America, because it's literally a wasted vote unless it's the 2 real candidates.  Though the Republican party is continuing to fracture, and progressives are growing increasingly distant from the Democrats, so maybe, *maybe* we will finally have a proper multi-party system as the founders intended.  In a few election cycles.

Also I'd much prefer Bernie for the record, or Clinton.  They're pretty close.  Trump just speaks to a part of me that wants radical, isolationist change.  Because while I'm mostly progressive, I do put our own citizens first.  That's what a government is FOR, and it's what all but the most "enlightened" (aka established and rotten) governments do.  Iran isn't considering how best to serve American immigrants.

But mostly I do want a government that embraces modern efficiency by granting a living wage, universal health care, and properly regulating industry.  I don't think we're entitled to it, but it's safest way to handle the modern era.

Having a Trump-Sanders general election competition would be a hell of a thing, for one, they are both on the extremes of their wings.

One has to ask, where the heck is the moderate/centrist candidate? Since the two parties are pulling away from the center and making the average curve look like it has two peaks instead of the one it's supposed to have.
There is no centrist, only a false disappointing dichotomy.

Edit: As usual when discussing politics, the quote from Indefensible Positions is apt:
The system is not broken.  It is doing exactly what it was designed for.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10143 on: January 23, 2016, 09:55:03 pm »

By all polling data Bernie would actually blow Trump out of the water. More than Hillary, if I recall correctly.
i wonder how many more people would be motivated to vote if it came to that match up then normally vote.
From everything I've heard, both Trump and Sanders are unusual for all the attention they're getting. Sanders supposedly is yuuuge among the younger millenial age group that supposedly isn't otherwise interested in politics, while Trump is supposedly getting huge turnouts for rallies and his poll numbers supposedly have a huge lead compared to the other "establishment" republican candidates.

I can personally attest to seeing numerous Bernie 2016 bumper stickers on cars in my community college's parking lots.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10144 on: January 23, 2016, 09:58:49 pm »

The main problem though is that under the way the current system is set up, the only way that people who would otherwise run as third party can actually get through is by running under the banner of either major party.

Without major reform to the way our system works, I only see the 'big tent' parties having their tents stretched further and thinner.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10145 on: January 23, 2016, 10:00:43 pm »

i wonder how many more people would be motivated to vote if it came to that match up then normally vote.
From everything I've heard, both Trump and Sanders are unusual for all the attention they're getting. Sanders supposedly is yuuuge among the younger millenial age group that supposedly isn't otherwise interested in politics, while Trump is supposedly getting huge turnouts for rallies and his poll numbers supposedly have a huge lead compared to the other "establishment" republican candidates.

I can personally attest to seeing numerous Bernie 2016 bumper stickers on cars in my community college's parking lots.

I wonder who Sanders would choose as VP? He's certainly going to try to choose someone who aligns with his views.

edit: eh, why did I double post?......

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10146 on: January 23, 2016, 10:06:56 pm »

The main problem though is that under the way the current system is set up, the only way that people who would otherwise run as third party can actually get through is by running under the banner of either major party.

Without major reform to the way our system works, I only see the 'big tent' parties having their tents stretched further and thinner.

As long as "party discipline" doesn't really hold, there's not really much problem with having a big tent. The Republican party is basically heading into a split into two unequal halves, but I have very strong doubts that they'll ever actually become two separate parties. They'll just keep calling themselves Republicans so they can put up a sturdier united front to stop the Democrats from doing anything and fight bitterly between themselves in the meantime. The democrats are more united, but as long as the Republicans don't make a formal split, they won't be able to take advantage of being a half against two bickering quarters, and that's exactly how the Establishment and Tea Party want it. The Democrats would probably do the same thing if they were in the same position.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10147 on: January 23, 2016, 10:07:45 pm »

You also forget Trump's attracted the anime-fapping millennials otherwise not even interested in life, and this is no "supposing" of support unless you live with MSNBC blindfolds on, there just is - one of the hilarious things you'll ever see is Trump ordering a reporter to stop filming his face and film the whole stadium because the journalists wanted to add ambiguity to how much support he got
Bernie is pretty self-explanatory, embodying USA Uni spirit right down to getting cucked by BLM; all of Clinton's attempts to slug him have backfired as the man's self-depreciating and insults make her look worse than he just appearing more humble. There's nothing more symbolic than Clinton using an attack ad to get Trump and Sanders peeps attacking each other only to get both attacking hers lel

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10148 on: January 23, 2016, 10:26:06 pm »

You also forget Trump's attracted the anime-fapping millennials otherwise not even interested in life, and this is no "supposing" of support unless you live with MSNBC blindfolds on, there just is - one of the hilarious things you'll ever see is Trump ordering a reporter to stop filming his face and film the whole stadium because the journalists wanted to add ambiguity to how much support he got
Bernie is pretty self-explanatory, embodying USA Uni spirit right down to getting cucked by BLM; all of Clinton's attempts to slug him have backfired as the man's self-depreciating and insults make her look worse than he just appearing more humble. There's nothing more symbolic than Clinton using an attack ad to get Trump and Sanders peeps attacking each other only to get both attacking hers lel

I say "supposedly" just in case I say something I heard about that isn't actually true. If there's one thing I've learned while keeping track of this election thru the internet, and from the occasional times I post in this thread, it's that the media and news sources are almost always biased in some way and lots of hearsay gets thrown around as facts. Twitter is being used as a valid source for news to report on, nowadays. That alone makes me lose trust in the accuracy of the news media.

I'm not sure if I want to ask for source on the whole "anime-fapping millennials" supporting Trump.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10149 on: January 23, 2016, 10:30:02 pm »

I'm not sure if I want to ask for source on the whole "anime-fapping millennials" supporting Trump.
/pol/ and related "How can I justify being a euphoric right-libertarian racist while simultaneously spending all my welfare money on Miku body pillows" communities, essentially.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #10150 on: January 23, 2016, 10:32:56 pm »

/pol/ and related "How can I justify being a euphoric right-libertarian racist while simultaneously spending all my welfare money on Miku body pillows" communities, essentially.
...so, anonymous image board memes.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #10151 on: January 23, 2016, 10:34:05 pm »

That's where most things on the internet come from.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10152 on: January 23, 2016, 10:34:59 pm »

Yes, exactly. Stare long into the memes, and the memes shall stare back into you.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10153 on: January 23, 2016, 11:17:09 pm »

Yes, exactly. Stare long into the memes, and the memes shall stare back into you.
Not long though, they don't really like eye contact.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10154 on: January 23, 2016, 11:19:57 pm »

A Republican strategist (Rick Wilson, iirc) said that most of Trump's supporters of being, and I quote exactly, "Childless single men who masturbate to anime." 
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?
Pages: 1 ... 675 676 [677] 678 679 ... 1342