Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544401 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Ted Cruz's Adult Coloring Book and Chill 2016 Megathread
« Reply #10125 on: January 23, 2016, 06:03:42 pm »

The thing that scares me is that existing Trump supporters will have no problem with anything he could possibly say, and with every statement he converts another strange niche group to his cause.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10126 on: January 23, 2016, 06:52:19 pm »

I dont think it's strange niches, I think it's the same niche, identity voters.  Identity politics has been a big thing in american elections for a long time.  You can blame whatever race baiting politician in the past you want but the idea of dividing people into "us" vs. "them" aint new.  Trump is just giving these voters what they have been embracing for a long time.  They become Trump supporters when they decide that he is "us" and they aren't going to trust "them" to tell them otherwise.  As long as he doesn't ask them to compromise, he can say whatever the hell he wants because he is "us".  That doesn't mean that Trump has their unconditional support forever however, it just means they dont care about outsiders to the movement criticizing him.  And Trump probably doesn't even have all the identity politics voters in his camp yet either (look at how many people loved Palin) but it's not like they're all required to identify with him.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 06:54:01 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10127 on: January 23, 2016, 07:17:30 pm »

See, there I go again; shitposting is a highly contagious disease.
I feel like I should sig this.

On the other hand, I can just talk about how dangerous shitposting is and the threat it poses to our countries values and ethics.

Donald Trump won't be President. He might be Republican Candidate, but I have enough faith in the general ability of the populace to not be complete dumbasses that enough Republicans would vote for the Democratic candidate if Trump was their other option.

Though all the hate being lobbed on him by Democrats is I think part of what's boosting his popularity among Republicans.

I thought that about Bush.

Bush was, at the very least, a Governor. The level of credulity required is not quite the same, I would argue. Trump has not been a direct part of politics up until now, unless I'm missing something very large.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10128 on: January 23, 2016, 08:08:02 pm »

> "I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody, and I wouldn't lose any voters, OK?" Trump remarked at a campaign stop at Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa.

I read that in Mark Hamill's Joker voice.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10129 on: January 23, 2016, 08:20:16 pm »

When you have the choice between voting for someone who hates you, someone who hates you, and someone who hates you but also hates who you hate, you pick the last one: the last respite of the spiteful. Sampson Option.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10130 on: January 23, 2016, 08:25:32 pm »

As long as he doesn't ask them to compromise, he can say whatever the hell he wants because he is "us".  That doesn't mean that Donald "Why is Obama playing basketball today" Trump has their unconditional support forever however, it just means they dont care about outsiders to the movement criticizing him.  And Donald "Why is Obama playing basketball today" Trump probably doesn't even have all the identity politics voters in his camp yet either (look at how many people loved Palin) but it's not like they're all required to identify with him.
Two things. One: Forgive my Trump extension adding his quotes to your comment. Two: I disagree on one thing: Compromise. Trump is, as he keeps insisting, a business man. For all the talk about businessmen being not politicians, any dealmaker (or self-proclaimed dealmaker) knows that being willing and able to give and take as necessary to make deals is how you win. Trump knows this, and has said as much, but when you apply that to politics rather then business, it's called "compromise", or alternatively (depending on your POV and the situation) "back-door dealing", and thus takes on a nasty tinge of betrayal and shallowness. The thing is that Trump has not made the connection aloud that his dealmaking is basically equivalent to less principle-based political compromise, and unless he says it, his supporters won't accept it.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10131 on: January 23, 2016, 08:30:25 pm »

When you have the choice between voting for someone who hates you, someone who hates you, and someone who hates you but also hates who you hate, you pick the last one: the last respite of the spiteful. Sampson Option.
I wish there was a Sampson Option on the Republican side, but Rand Paul is practically out.  Guess I'm voting democrat again.

Also, I'm absolutely sure that either Trump beats Clinton or Bernie beats Trump.  Leaning towards the latter.

And I could actually get behind any of the three, to be honest.  Rolling the dice on whether we get a progressive that fixes shit, an establishment tool who makes incremental reform, or a clown dictator.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10132 on: January 23, 2016, 08:43:45 pm »

For all the talk about businessmen being not politicians, any dealmaker (or self-proclaimed dealmaker) knows that being willing and able to give and take as necessary to make deals is how you win.

Trumps business MO is to find a sucker who will allow him to have leverage then extort that sucker through bankruptcy proceedings.  If they complain, immediately start libel action.  There is no give and take in the process, just good old fashioned blackmail.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10133 on: January 23, 2016, 09:18:09 pm »

His foreign policy ideas are exactly the same as his private business policy so at least he's consistent.

Default on Chinese debt, make Mexico pay us to build a wall, then make it clear to them that it's America's wall. Standard Trump business logic.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:22:04 pm by Reelya »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10134 on: January 23, 2016, 09:20:34 pm »

I wish there was a Sampson Option on the Republican side, but Rand Paul is practically out.  Guess I'm voting democrat again.

Also, I'm absolutely sure that either Trump beats Clinton or Bernie beats Trump.  Leaning towards the latter.

And I could actually get behind any of the three, to be honest.  Rolling the dice on whether we get a progressive that fixes shit, an establishment tool who makes incremental reform, or a clown dictator.
Bernie vs Trump is the dream lineup, no matter who wins, everyone is angry

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10135 on: January 23, 2016, 09:27:59 pm »

bernie vs trump is a lineup I could accept.

Bernie vs any other neocon would be even better.

Hillary vs Trump is the worst ticket lineup, IMO. (already explained this prior. You can disagree. I dont care. This is opinion time.)

In hypotheticals like, "clinton vs fiorina", i am unsure how I would respond. Both are unacceptable options, but fiorina is slightly less unacceptable than trump. (by virtue of only being a professional skydiver with her golden parachute, instead of being a professional ass clown with fake hair.)

I hope that I am not placed in such a position during the actual election.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10136 on: January 23, 2016, 09:31:24 pm »

A close victory (but not close enough to contest like Bush v. Gore) by Bernie over Trump is my ideal outcome. I want Bernie to win, but I also want to get as much enjoyment as possible out of Trump and his supporters' antics before he's sent to the secret gulag in Nunavut for re-education or whatever it is the GOP does with failed presidential candidates.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 09:33:33 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10137 on: January 23, 2016, 09:39:23 pm »

By all polling data Bernie would actually blow Trump out of the water. More than Hillary, if I recall correctly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10138 on: January 23, 2016, 09:46:03 pm »

Huffpo has Bernie with a lead and Fox with Trump in lead

Basically polls are full of shit, you should've seen ours where for the whole year Tories and Labour were neck and neck in the polls and it turned out to be a landslide victory/defeat

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10139 on: January 23, 2016, 09:48:06 pm »

By all polling data Bernie would actually blow Trump out of the water. More than Hillary, if I recall correctly.
i wonder how many more people would be motivated to vote if it came to that match up then normally vote.
Pages: 1 ... 674 675 [676] 677 678 ... 1342