Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545617 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7935 on: December 12, 2015, 01:20:07 am »

All I can say is I'm glad I have Canadian citizenship and that my university can transfer credits out. Might screw over getting my US citizenship, but oh well; I doubt there would be much left to come back to after 4 years of The Trump anyway.

Hey, I can guarantee you that we'd have a much different outlook on the future of agriculture in the U.S. Only under Trump would people realize the truth about Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. It's got what plants crave! It's got electrolytes!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7936 on: December 12, 2015, 01:26:22 am »

Nothing that gets broken is going to be able to be fixed very quickly either. Does everybody just forget that eight years under the democrats hasn't fully clawed back all of the shit America got under your last bout of Republican rule? Because all I'm hearing is "hey, if we let them be stupid, everything will get rolled back pretty fast once the end is reached," and no. No, things will not be unbroken fast. It will take years to unbreak things that Trump will break, and it will be a fight the whole way.

I realize we're all pretty tired of having our rights taken away, but maybe don't shoot America in the head, and hope that the ambulance can get to the hospital fast enough to save it? Or maybe make another country the biggest super power in the world before you ruin yours. TIA.
The flaw in your thought here is thinking that the Democrats are even trying to claw back anything from the Republicans. They aren't. They're all about it and have done more in that vein, as they will continue to. If anybody besides Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders becomes president, the future state of freedom will be more national security and ihre Papiere bitte.

That is why a cascading collapse of the existing political establishment is a good thing. We can essentially only have a risk of success with Operation Moran Eater.
I don't see it really happening that way though. Trump will idiot, but you haven't addressed the fact that this leaves a Republican Congress+Senate intact, and likely with the Vice President in a position to take power. It's not going to crash the system. There will be no eating of the morans.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7937 on: December 12, 2015, 01:38:01 am »

Nothing that gets broken is going to be able to be fixed very quickly either. Does everybody just forget that eight years under the democrats hasn't fully clawed back all of the shit America got under your last bout of Republican rule? Because all I'm hearing is "hey, if we let them be stupid, everything will get rolled back pretty fast once the end is reached," and no. No, things will not be unbroken fast. It will take years to unbreak things that Trump will break, and it will be a fight the whole way.

I realize we're all pretty tired of having our rights taken away, but maybe don't shoot America in the head, and hope that the ambulance can get to the hospital fast enough to save it? Or maybe make another country the biggest super power in the world before you ruin yours. TIA.
The flaw in your thought here is thinking that the Democrats are even trying to claw back anything from the Republicans. They aren't. They're all about it and have done more in that vein, as they will continue to. If anybody besides Donald Trump or Bernie Sanders becomes president, the future state of freedom will be more national security and ihre Papiere bitte.

That is why a cascading collapse of the existing political establishment is a good thing. We can essentially only have a risk of success with Operation Moran Eater.
I don't see it really happening that way though. Trump will idiot, but you haven't addressed the fact that this leaves a Republican Congress+Senate intact, and likely with the Vice President in a position to take power. It's not going to crash the system. There will be no eating of the morans.
Because the President is the political barometer of America and the way they act has massive consequences. Even politically savvy presidents usually end up with a problem or two (Iran-Contra, Read my lips no new taxes, I did not have sexual relations with that woman, Mission Accomplished, Benghazi). They have usually spent decades learning to play the game and avoid the easier pitfalls of failure.

Donald Trump has not. Now, normally that might just be a little trouble, but it's Donald Trump. The man oozes concentrated pride and passion. He won't just make a little mistake, he'll make big, history-books-will-use-them-as-primary-examples-for-the-next-two-centuries big mistakes.

As for Congress, they haven't gotten shit done well for a decade now. I am a bit less than worried about their actions. Frankly, 9/10ths of the worst things Congress does are backed by the Democrats as well, so it's irrelevant. Donald will leave them hamstrung between trying to back their party's president and trying not to go down with the sinking ship anyway.

I have no doubt in my mind that Donald Trump will rapidly and reliably generate incidents that make Watergate look tiny, and the primary way that will happen will be by his misuse of the existing security state. These shocking failures are absolutely necessary in an America that doesn't regularly elect people like Sanders, so that we can break out of the pattern of acceptance.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7938 on: December 12, 2015, 02:08:10 am »

I am so very glad that it's looking like I will never be put in a position where I have to say 'I told you so' on this issue. I would be vastly more confident in the state of the world if y'all stopped playing fast and loose with the biggest economy in the world though, and if I wasn't directly in the blast radius of all the shit that would come about if y'all decided to be crazy in this way.

I feel like the guy standing beside a literal giant with a handful of lit matches while we're all surrounded by spilled gasoline, and this giant's muttering "gotta burn it all away, start over" to himself. Yeah, no, let's just clean up the gasoline please? Maybe that's the smarter move?
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7939 on: December 12, 2015, 02:22:31 am »

You can't repair a structure and ignore the foundation, eventually it becomes critically compromised and has to be demolished.  That is approximately how I view the state of the US today.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7940 on: December 12, 2015, 02:24:07 am »

Periods of disruption are necessary for a stagnant society to grow and reach new heights, and right now the world is in some serious stagnation.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7941 on: December 12, 2015, 02:29:56 am »

Forget Trump, what we really need is a Nero.

Y'know, in the sense of a leader who returns from elsewhere after the U.S. figuratively burns the fuck down so that he can pull it out of the ashes with his own flesh, blood, and treasure, provide government-funding food and shelter to the needy, and rebuild things on a better and more regular foundation.

And maybe also build a big honkin' statue of himself while crucifying/immolating a bunch of Christians as scapegoats for the disaster. Maybe. Kappa.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7942 on: December 12, 2015, 02:38:30 am »

This line of thought, by the way, is how Hitler got the support that got him into power. An ineffective parliament and a upper class that decided they wanted to just burn away the old by putting someone in charge who was so obviously ruinous that it would result in them regaining control. I would not say that turned out well for anyone.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7943 on: December 12, 2015, 02:40:42 am »

Getting back to Ben Carson again for a minute, there's also the fact that he's not consistent with his denominational beliefs.

Carson is a Seventh-Day Adventist. My GF was indoctrinated raised SDA. None of the cray-cray stuff about the Pyramids or the dollar bill or the Ark or whatever, none of that is part of SDA theology. It's his own special homebrew crazy. (And it's not like he wouldn't have plenty of crazy to go around just from SDA theology...)

Periods of disruption are necessary for a stagnant society to grow and reach new heights, and right now the world is in some serious stagnation.
EDIT: MSH confirmed for Reaper agent.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7944 on: December 12, 2015, 02:42:56 am »

Shadow agent, actually.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7945 on: December 12, 2015, 02:47:16 am »

Oh yeah...I guess the Reapers were more about just nomming all our organic life essences.
Though I'm not 100% convinced that Trump wouldn't go that route as well...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7946 on: December 12, 2015, 03:01:04 am »

I mean, I have been arguing for mass population reduction, so...
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7947 on: December 12, 2015, 03:04:16 am »

Everyone who advocates for population reduction has to be part of the first wave into the ground.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7948 on: December 12, 2015, 03:05:34 am »

If you're of the pleb tier stereotypical "let's just kill people" train of thought, I guess.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7949 on: December 12, 2015, 03:07:13 am »

I've found almost everyone who thinks it's a good idea also believes that they should be exempt from it. Actually, I haven't found anyone who doesn't think that. You can't all be right.
Pages: 1 ... 528 529 [530] 531 532 ... 1342