Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545838 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7140 on: December 01, 2015, 02:39:13 pm »

Contemplated that.

Sadly, nearly every place on earth that can be habitated by humans, already has somebody landlording the physical real-estate.

Hundreds of miles of woodland in the US? BLM!
Random islands out in the pacific? UNESCO and pals.
Uninhabited parts of Canada? The canadian version of BLM.

etc.

Unless I make a submarine, and dive to a seamound that is just deep enough to not have a coral reef on it (and thus not qualify for being a heritage site.) but shallow enough that I might could, possibly, make it into a stable foundation for a synthetic structure that can withstand harsh ocean weather conditions--- and have the millions of dollars to do that-- I am pretty much out of luck if I want to do that in a legal fashion.

Unless you know of some place that is handing out homesteads to foreigners. (Some African countries are offering homesteads, but NOT to foreign nationals.)

It would probably be cheaper easier to buy and refit a decent sized freighter and have it never leave international waters. Supplies could be brought in by a smaller support ship.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7141 on: December 01, 2015, 02:40:13 pm »

Can you be a moisture farmer there?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That or a sand farmer.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7142 on: December 01, 2015, 02:40:37 pm »

Eh, LOTS of places in the US selling undeveloped land for super cheap. Just buy some useless mountainside property (as in, useless for normal business/mining) and dig in. You could probably get acres of land in places like Wyoming, Idaho, or Montana very affordably.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7143 on: December 01, 2015, 02:42:19 pm »

Clinton can certainly play the long game, at least when it comes to politics: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/hillary-clinton-email-checking-2016-216317

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7144 on: December 01, 2015, 02:42:48 pm »

Digging through solid rock is surprisingly difficult when you're in Real Life instead of Dwarf Fortress.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7145 on: December 01, 2015, 02:44:40 pm »

Meph-- Not likely.  the BLM likely owns such properties, and will not hand out mineral rights. this means you cant even sell the dirt you dig up, because it isn't yours.

Also, varying degrees of "cheap".

concerning sand farming-- 
If a suitable means of self-security in the face of banditry, and suitable water supply could be attained-- it should be possible to set up a surprisingly profitable solar sintering operation there, and sell glass brick to both countries.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7146 on: December 01, 2015, 02:51:57 pm »

Clinton can certainly play the long game, at least when it comes to politics: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/12/hillary-clinton-email-checking-2016-216317

How is following political news "playing the long game"?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7147 on: December 01, 2015, 02:56:10 pm »

A place to be, when all hell breaks out should trump manage to be elected, and enact his unique brand of crazy on a slightly recessed world economy?

FWIW, I suggested mars.  That patch of hell south of Egypt is paradise in comparison.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7148 on: December 01, 2015, 02:57:23 pm »

...remind me again why people are suddenly interested in living in an uninhabitable desert?
ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7149 on: December 01, 2015, 02:59:39 pm »

How is following political news "playing the long game"?
Because as Secretary of State, she's supposed to be keeping an eye on foreign politics, not domestic. It creates the appearance of someone who was spending more energy on prepping for her Presidential run than doing her job.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7150 on: December 01, 2015, 03:01:31 pm »

And sharing political gossip with friends in private emails showed she wasn't paying attention to her job because...?
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7151 on: December 01, 2015, 03:03:46 pm »

Because politics is 99% FUD and mudslinging?

If you dont like a politician, look at their track record to make that determination-- not the hearsay and local tabloid gossip.

I dont like Hillary for other reasons. (been there, said that. not going there again.)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7152 on: December 01, 2015, 03:42:05 pm »

Mm. Clinton's not the sort of person I want as President as anything except a candidate of last resort, but the stuff that the right uses to attack her is silly when it isn't an outright fabrication.

The thing that scares me about Trump is that I've had the same sort of reaction before, the whole, "Whoa, no, there's no way that they'll manage to get the nomination, never mind win the general election!" thing... for people who were subsequently elected.

A black swan event happens every once in a while.  And sometimes we misjudge something to be a black swan event.  But it's confirmation bias, we really remember the black swan events.  Ironically because the black swan events are so memorable we even sometimes make the rules around the outliers and ignore the normal cases because they aren't as memorable.

Oh, certainly. I'm not denying that in the vast majority of cases such candidates aren't elected. But then, the outliers are what we have to be concerned with. As Bauglir said, there's little point building models which predict routine outcomes when we are already deeply familiar with the hows and whys of those routine outcomes and the model is no more accurate than the simple assumption that all outcomes will be routine outcomes.

Trump's concerning because he's an outlier candidate who has survived and thrived far longer than such usually do, and because the mixture of conditions which result in the election of a fringe candidate are much messier and difficult to pin down than the same for a mainstream candidate--this is, after all, why it's important to study them carefully, because there's more to them than their flat popularity among the general population, their application (or lack thereof) of campaign strategies (ferex, the duck or punch approach to addressing issues) in the sealed environment of mainstream Republican vs. mainstream Democrat, the presence or absence of a notable scandal in their past, &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7153 on: December 01, 2015, 04:01:29 pm »

Rofl Cruz: http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/30/politics/ted-cruz-planned-parenthood-transgendered-leftist-activist/index.html

I get that saying 'transgendered' is offensive, but it is funny in the context of the candidate. He was sort of trying to make the point that lots of things have been said about him and we don't know the full facts behind it.

Also, wouldn't a leftist (though he IS anti-government) actually be for abortion in general? The guy who did it is actually anti-abortion, which would make him rightist. Though either side can be upset over the 'baby parts' stuff.

IMO, it would be domestic terrorism because he had planned to blow up some propane tanks by shooting them or something, I dunno. I know it isn't the best way to blow up a propane tank, but if he was shooting straight through walls, those bullets would definetly pierce a propane tank.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 04:04:39 pm by smjjames »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7154 on: December 01, 2015, 04:02:31 pm »

ferex, the duck or punch approach to addressing issues

I tried googling "duck or punch" but it just showed me recipes for duck punch and games whose names were variations on "duck punch." Bing had similar results but the first page also included one PDF of the fifth chapter of a book which had "Duck or Punch" as the name of the chapter or something, which probably explains what you meant, but TL;DR.

Instead... The first thing that came to mind...

Spoiler: images! (click to show/hide)

What if you want duck AND punch? Why not combine them?
(... There sure are a lot of pictures of plastic/rubber duckies in punch on the Internets)
Pages: 1 ... 475 476 [477] 478 479 ... 1342