Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549531 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #6735 on: November 21, 2015, 11:36:37 am »

I dunno, it's not like interrupting something is the end of the world. What happened in Missouri anyway?
Dunno the details, but it's been some sort of racist rigmarole. That's literally all I've noticed, heh. Missou's too far away for me to much care :V

And yeah, it was a dick move. That's kiiiinda' the point. US history and culture has repeatedly reinforced that non-dick moves get zero attention and less effort, from any side of an issue. Disruption is often the name of the game, because disruption gets results where not, well. Basically doesn't. Unless it's paired with disruptive stuff, anyway, which might as well amount to the same thing.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6736 on: November 21, 2015, 11:43:20 am »

"Disruptive" don't have to mean "be a shitty person", though. It was MLK that got meaningful change, not Malcolm X, and the Klan couldn't stop it either.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: November 21, 2015, 11:50:24 am »

... plenty of MLK's stuff was just as shitty as the walk-in being talked about, even more so in some cases. Shut down parts of cities, disrupted hella' traffic, all sorts of things along those lines -- getting a test rescheduled is bloody penny-ante shit in comparison. There's a hell of a distance between interrupting a class or daily schedules and violence and murder.
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: November 21, 2015, 01:07:15 pm »

The comparison would work if they had even the slightest bit of legitimacy, but they very clearly don´t. They´re unfriendly to news media, or this completely unrelated guy, who was bitched at and resigned because he didn't cancel an exam. To be clear, people could and did make it up later. His resignation wasn't accepted, but I don't know what that means except that he's still working there. Before you say it, yes I know that some reactions have not been good, but these people are being dealt with by police. The people the protesters have a grievance against and the people they're dogpiling on and/or forcing out of their positions have no overlap.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: November 21, 2015, 01:44:46 pm »

... did I say a single solitary thing about legitimacy? Anything about issues with collateral damage or problems with misinformation or misaimed efforts? No? No.

I was noting that what they're doing is what time has identified as effective (non-violent) protest tactics, and that their actions, regardless of how well or poorly guided, is not even remotely on par with what shit like the klan got up to -- as I bloody noted, most of it's not even as extreme as some of what MLK presided over. That was about it.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: November 21, 2015, 01:45:18 pm »

... plenty of MLK's stuff was just as shitty as the walk-in being talked about, even more so in some cases. Shut down parts of cities, disrupted hella' traffic, all sorts of things along those lines -- getting a test rescheduled is bloody penny-ante shit in comparison. There's a hell of a distance between interrupting a class or daily schedules and violence and murder.
As noted, different circumstances. The MLK wing of the Civil Rights Movement was pursuing real change for legitimate grievances, and the people involved understood the methods they were using. These people are lashing out randomly over petty, often-imagined offenses, and pretty clearly have no real overarching strategy beyond vague intentions of making people self-censor and turning the whole first world into a hugbox.

I was speaking in regard to clarity of purpose rather than methods used.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6741 on: November 21, 2015, 01:46:43 pm »

We were talking about very different things, then. Fair enough.
Ask not!
Ask!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6742 on: November 21, 2015, 02:57:56 pm »

I realize that over reacting university students have been a polarizing media hog since the 12th century (I am not actually exaggerating this one), and yeah, it's cool to vent about them. I'm kind of more worried about the ones that are going far, far to the right. The ones going far to the left have a millennium-old tradition of cooling down as they age, while the ones that move to the right have a century-old tradition of starting world wars.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6743 on: November 21, 2015, 03:28:24 pm »

These people are lashing out randomly over petty, often-imagined offenses, and pretty clearly have no real overarching strategy beyond vague intentions of making people self-censor and turning the whole first world into a hugbox.
From what I've heard the intention of Black Lives Matter is very literally to kill all white people.
This is a thing I've heard.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6744 on: November 21, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »

I've heard it too. After a quick search on the internets, I got this:

I'm sure there's more, but that's what I found.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6745 on: November 21, 2015, 03:42:33 pm »

We're just getting worse news all the time here, aren't we.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6746 on: November 21, 2015, 03:56:45 pm »

I am not completely informed about "black lives matter" is it a move for equality? Or one for black dominance?
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6747 on: November 21, 2015, 04:01:13 pm »

It's a response to the killings of black people by the cops. It's for equality.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6748 on: November 21, 2015, 04:02:46 pm »

It's for a particular brand of academic fanaticism, I think you mean.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6749 on: November 21, 2015, 04:03:07 pm »

For god's sake, the sources include Breitbart.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /
Pages: 1 ... 448 449 [450] 451 452 ... 1342