Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549230 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #5550 on: October 27, 2015, 01:38:28 pm »

Theres going to be a forum and three democratic debates (including one in Iowa) and three months before the Iowa caucases, so, anything could happen or change between now and then.

Celebrity endorser would like to chew your ear off about Donald Trump.

Heh, saw the article title in RCP saying that Mike Tyson is endorsing Trump, didn't look at the article itself as I wasn't interested.

Also, while getting Iowa will be crucial, and is pretty indicative of the eventual winner, it's not 100% predictive.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 01:43:14 pm by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: October 27, 2015, 02:16:09 pm »

Quote from: Mike Tyson
Let's run America like a business

Ok, like a business, where you basically lay off anyone who's not making you a profit and outsource everything where you can get it cheaper elsewhere. People have tried the "government is a business" model before, it doesn't work because you can't "lay off" your citizens without being labelled a monster. Treating the government as a self-interested corporation which needs to turn a profit is not a good model.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: October 27, 2015, 02:40:35 pm »

Quote from: Mike Tyson
Let's run America like a business

Ok, like a business, where you basically lay off anyone who's not making you a profit and outsource everything where you can get it cheaper elsewhere. People have tried the "government is a business" model before, it doesn't work because you can't "lay off" your citizens without being labelled a monster. Treating the government as a self-interested corporation which needs to turn a profit is not a good model.

Not to be that guy, but your quote is slightly out of context, he said "Let's run America like a business, where no colors matter.".

Still, even WITH that context, it still sounds like he says what he says while trying to say 'lets end this partianship'.

Out of curiosity, could you give some examples of those who have tried to do the "government is a business" model?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:49:40 pm by smjjames »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: October 27, 2015, 02:55:44 pm »

IIRC, Detroit fits the model although I don't think that supports Reelya's assertion right now. (Detroit is in recovery after being in the economic shit hole for years.)

The problem with Government As Business to me is that many parts of real life are made up of things of intangible value. Can you put a price on happiness? What is the happiness of a citizen worth?

It's easy to quantify losses in a monetary sense, but I think it's harder to quantify some gains the same way.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:57:41 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: October 27, 2015, 02:56:34 pm »

He might be referring to Argentina and the Chicago Boys.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: October 27, 2015, 03:23:22 pm »

Huh, Carson released an ad saying 'lets drain the washington swamp' and says that it used to be on a swamp (pretty sure that area had lots of wetlands) and to basically drain it of corruption (not the actual words). The somewhat offbeat-clever way the ad was made made me think of Herman Cains ads. Though it's nowhere near the strangeness of Herman Cains ads (does anybody remember the one with the (fortunately) plush rabbit being launched into the air via catapult and then 'bloodily' exploding, like wtf even...), I can't help but compare it to those.

Though it's a pretty clever use of that swamp metaphor if anything.
At least

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: October 27, 2015, 03:23:59 pm »

He stole it from the Simpsons, though.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: October 27, 2015, 03:31:28 pm »

The problem with Government As Business to me is that many parts of real life are made up of things of intangible value. Can you put a price on happiness? What is the happiness of a citizen worth?

It's easy to quantify losses in a monetary sense, but I think it's harder to quantify some gains the same way.
*shrugs* Non-profits manage alright in a lot of places. S'fairly difficult to quantify happiness, but it's damn easy to quantify a lot of the behaviors exhibited by happy people.

Problem being most of the people talking about running government as a business are very much not talking about running it like a nonprofit one, heh. Weirdest thing to me is that people think that'll reduce the corruption in government, somehow. Always seems like it's one of those things that look appealing to somehow who has no goddamn idea how business tends to actually work. Or worse, does :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: October 27, 2015, 03:32:42 pm »

Cesspool! Cesspool! Cesspool!

And it saddens me to see Sanders losing support like this. I'm not willing to write him off, but I'm definitely concerned for him. MSNBC and CNN's pro-Clinton bias don't help either.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: October 27, 2015, 03:34:32 pm »

If I had nine thousand votes to give, I would give them all for the Trump.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: October 27, 2015, 03:38:19 pm »

Hey, get involved in the vote counting et al process. I'm sure if you weaseled into the right place you could fraud your way into giving trump 9k votes he wouldn't have otherwise had.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: October 27, 2015, 04:36:05 pm »

So...John Boehner pushed through a budget bill that eases some of the austerity measures and raises the debt ceiling to 2017. It also sets the Federal budget levels for 2016 and 2017, essentially removing the two biggest find the Tea Party had.

Boehner troll is best troll.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: October 27, 2015, 04:38:58 pm »

He stole it from the Simpsons, though.

So he doesn't get points for origionality. Heck, the words "Drain the washington swamp" are probably older than The Simpsons.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: October 27, 2015, 04:45:01 pm »

So...John Boehner pushed through a budget bill that eases some of the austerity measures and raises the debt ceiling to 2017. It also sets the Federal budget levels for 2016 and 2017, essentially removing the two biggest find the Tea Party had.

Boehner troll is best troll.
FINALLY.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: October 27, 2015, 04:53:48 pm »

Anyhow, I wonder if there will be any round table style debates where everybody is sitting down? I remember there being a couple during the past couple of cycles. It would be nice to mix up debate styles.

Edit: Probably not with that many people on the republican side though.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 1342