Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548317 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4425 on: September 18, 2015, 08:34:05 am »

I guess? That doesn't even follow from ability, though...

I just said the first thing that came to mind :V
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4426 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:48 am »

... PG, did you really just say that active genocide was the better course of action than either inactive genocide or, y'know, stopping it from happening? It would have pissed off georgia and maybe distabilized the union, so killing thousands, overseeing one of the greater atrocities in american history was... okay? Somehow excusable? 'Cause it kinda' read like that, and if that wasn't the intent, maybe make it a little more clear that nothing you were saying in any way paints jackson in a better light.
Regardless, the cause for it is pretty irrelevant. Jackson being a racist or not is a complete non-issue. The fact of the matter is that he aided in what he aided, and that is pretty impeccably abhorrent.
What's inactive genocide? Genocide seems to be a pretty active endeavour

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: September 18, 2015, 08:49:48 am »

... PG, did you really just say that active genocide was the better course of action than either inactive genocide or, y'know, stopping it from happening? It would have pissed off georgia and maybe distabilized the union, so killing thousands, overseeing one of the greater atrocities in american history was... okay? Somehow excusable? 'Cause it kinda' read like that, and if that wasn't the intent, maybe make it a little more clear that nothing you were saying in any way paints jackson in a better light.
Regardless, the cause for it is pretty irrelevant. Jackson being a racist or not is a complete non-issue. The fact of the matter is that he aided in what he aided, and that is pretty impeccably abhorrent.

I think he meant genocide through inaction.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: September 18, 2015, 08:51:14 am »

Would be closer to what PG exactly said, I guess. PG's words were "genocide by inaction", so... ask 'im.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: September 18, 2015, 08:53:51 am »

Genocide through neglect and lack of public services as opposed to bullets and gas chambers.

For instance, failing to provide food and shelter for a population in your jurisdiction, especially if you're providing food and shelter to other populations in your jurisdiction. You didn't KILL them per se, but you definitely contributed to their deaths.

Or, in the case Frumple is talking about, standing by and doing nothing while mobs do the dirty work for you. Some in Turkey have argued that the Armenian genocide was was like this -- local mob violence against the Armenian population rather than an organized campaign. But the Ottomans didn't exactly jump to intervene either.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4430 on: September 18, 2015, 09:00:54 am »

Yeah I wouldn't say that's very inactive though the same way I wouldn't say Stalin's starving campaign wasn't inactive

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: September 18, 2015, 09:02:55 am »

Or, in the case Frumple is talking about, standing by and doing nothing while mobs do the dirty work for you. Some in Turkey have argued that the Armenian genocide was was like this -- local mob violence against the Armenian population rather than an organized campaign. But the Ottomans didn't exactly jump to intervene either.

Others have argued that the Armenians were put into concentration camps by soldiers operating as part of the army chain of command and murdered.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4432 on: September 18, 2015, 11:46:00 am »

Speaking of genocide, a guy at a Trump town hall meeting was somewhat agressively asking "when the US could get rid of the Muslim problem." Trump's response was "Gosh, shucks, we're gonna have to think about that, aren't we?"
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: September 18, 2015, 11:53:18 am »

The best (?) part is the halfarsed backpedal that came from one of his staffers, I think.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: September 18, 2015, 12:00:41 pm »

CNN didn't mention that part specifically on TV, but it's the same guy who thought Obama was muslim.

The way Trump responded sounds like it was supposed to be a sarcastic dismissal, but still.......

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: September 18, 2015, 02:50:25 pm »

... y'know, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the WTF, police abuse, or this thread, but I guess this'un is somewhere in between the other two, so...

Texas Attorney General sues himself on behalf of the texas department of public safety, in order to hide (likely pretty damning) information about the (probably grossly overstated) activities of said department. He is currently slated to be both the defendant and the prosecutor.

I... don't think I can really add anything else to make that either less or more farcical. It's kinda' at the perfect equilibrium point of absurdity.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: September 18, 2015, 04:55:58 pm »

... y'know, I wasn't sure whether to put this in the WTF, police abuse, or this thread, but I guess this'un is somewhere in between the other two, so...

Texas Attorney General sues himself on behalf of the texas department of public safety, in order to hide (likely pretty damning) information about the (probably grossly overstated) activities of said department. He is currently slated to be both the defendant and the prosecutor.

I... don't think I can really add anything else to make that either less or more farcical. It's kinda' at the perfect equilibrium point of absurdity.

One would think that's a conflict of interest.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: September 18, 2015, 05:02:56 pm »

Yeah, apparently there's mechanisms and whatnot for dealing with the situation, maybe? Still, it's more than a little silly, especially considering it's being done to cover up what's probably corruption.
Ask not!
Ask!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: September 18, 2015, 05:22:45 pm »

Obviously setting it up so blame could conveniently be directed upon the people in the group's shitlist.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: September 18, 2015, 06:18:31 pm »

"Who spent these millions of dollars to no practical or useful outcome?!??!"

*official looks left then right*

"It was the illegals, sir."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 1342