Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1546324 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #4140 on: September 07, 2015, 01:12:31 am »

Some new polls out, couple of interesting bits to note:

• Trump is now leading in the polls in Florida by a good margin over Jeb Bush, turning a 21-17 lead (in the Quinniapiac poll at the beginning of August) into a 29-19 lead in a FLorida Times-Union poll on 9/2. That poll actually shows Ben Carson in 2nd place now, with 25%.
  • In head-to-head general election polling, Jeb Bush is now beating all potential Democratic challengers in all the early primary states. Ironically, Jeb's looking more electable at the same time that he's looking less nominatable (if that's a word).
  • A new SurveyUSA poll has Trump beating Clinton, Sanders, and Biden in head-to-head national polling. It's a bit of an outlier so take it with a grain of salt. What's more interesting is some of the other questions and their crosstabs.

One of the questions was about Joe Biden and whether respondents (and this was asked only of people who identified as Dem or Independent) would vote for him enthusiastically, with reservations, or "holding their nose". While 48% of white people said they would have some reservations, and only 40% of white people said they would be enthusiastic, Biden's had a majority of enthusiastic support among minorities, including a whopping 75% among black respondents.

They also asked about Al Gore for some reason...he's not expressed any interest in running, as far as I'm aware... ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: September 07, 2015, 05:01:15 am »

Jeb Bush is now beating Hillary? Oh fuck.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: September 07, 2015, 06:42:12 am »

that'll be the third bush

gee, time to revise the pledge because y'all gonna be under a monarchy soon

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: September 07, 2015, 09:05:19 am »

Except Trump is also beating Hillary and he's beating Bush. THAT is more worrying than Bush beating Hillary.

Still though, while it is worrying, it's still really early and those polls aren't from the major ones like quinnipac or monmouth, and above all, it's still early.

Edit: Also, Lawrence Lessig has hit that 1mil goal and is going to enter the race, sometime.... I wonder which party he'll run as though..... He'll have a better chance running with the Democrats than going independent or third party. If he goes Republican, he'll quickly get drowned out by the crazies.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:38:36 am by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: September 07, 2015, 10:00:37 am »

One of the questions was about Joe Biden and whether respondents (and this was asked only of people who identified as Dem or Independent) would vote for him enthusiastically, with reservations, or "holding their nose". While 48% of white people said they would have some reservations, and only 40% of white people said they would be enthusiastic, Biden's had a majority of enthusiastic support among minorities, including a whopping 75% among black respondents.

Well, Joe seems like a humble, down to earth sort of guy, and he played sidekick to a black dude for 8 years, so black voters probably seem him as a sympathetic ally.

But hell, if y'all end up with Trump I feel for you. I honestly have no idea how that would play out. I think it would be clearly different to Bush, because Trump has his fingers in totally different pies to the Bush's and doesn't really seem beholden to the old guard (Cheney/Rumsfeld types). I think it would be really dodgy, in a completely different way to GW Bush.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 10:04:12 am by Reelya »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: September 07, 2015, 10:09:33 am »

Guys it's 14 months to the election.  Jeb being ahead in a poll this month doesn't mean much more then Hillary being ahead in a poll last month.  Very little predictive value.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4146 on: September 07, 2015, 10:24:23 am »

But tons of SHOCK VALUE

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: September 07, 2015, 10:38:32 am »

any shocking truth yet?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: September 07, 2015, 10:47:25 am »

Aunt Mariah's buggered and the pub's on fire. That's about it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: September 07, 2015, 10:47:42 am »

<insert joke about truth and politics>
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: September 07, 2015, 02:09:06 pm »

Except Trump is also beating Hillary and he's beating Bush. THAT is more worrying than Bush beating Hillary.

Still though, while it is worrying, it's still really early and those polls aren't from the major ones like quinnipac or monmouth, and above all, it's still early.

Edit: Also, Lawrence Lessig has hit that 1mil goal and is going to enter the race, sometime.... I wonder which party he'll run as though..... He'll have a better chance running with the Democrats than going independent or third party. If he goes Republican, he'll quickly get drowned out by the crazies.
Trump actually strikes me more moderate than Bush if we're talking about what policies they actually support. Trump is, of course, also a hilarious rhetoric-spewing, twitter-shitposting asshole. My fellow Americans, next year we may have a genuine shitposter in the White House for the first time in our nation's history. That is a terrifying thought.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 02:11:02 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4151 on: September 07, 2015, 02:56:37 pm »

<insert joke about truth and politics>
[metajoke intensifies]

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: September 07, 2015, 06:03:56 pm »

Here's a funny thing: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/09/donald-trump-running-mate-mark-cuban-213123 (more than just Mark Cuban)

I thought Ann Coulter was democrat though, *shrug*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: September 07, 2015, 06:08:42 pm »

Ann Coulter is rabidly anti-Democrat, with books like " Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism" and " Adios, America: The Left's Plan to Turn Our Country Into a Third World Hellhole" being among the saner of her output.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: September 07, 2015, 06:09:57 pm »

Ann Coulter is rabidly anti-Democrat, with books like " Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terrorism" and " Adios, America: The Left's Plan to Turn Our Country Into a Third World Hellhole" being among the saner of her output.

Shows what I know then, nevermind.

I don't watch The View, so that's understandable.

*checks wikipedia* Oh right, THAT Ann Coulter. She's a FAUX News mouthpiece, no wonder I forgot who exactly she was.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 06:11:41 pm by smjjames »
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1342