Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550702 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #2010 on: June 01, 2015, 07:34:25 pm »

Just watched a session of our state Senate in action. Good God, how did we end up with this for a government?

Bunch of middle-aged white guy assholes, futilely opposed by a handful of black women with little skill in public speaking or debate.

Hm, do you think making public speaking and debate classes mandatory for those in office and repeating every x number of years would be a good idea?
Replace "those in office" with "everyone" and make the classes free of charge, then yes. Yes, it would.

Although, as my SO pointed out at dinner when I was raging about this same point, it's probably pointless. None of those assholes was going to be swayed by anything anyone said anyways.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: June 01, 2015, 07:36:19 pm »

... which would make the next step enthusiastic arboreal discourse, I guess?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: June 01, 2015, 07:38:55 pm »

Poo flinging. One of the higher art forms of political discourse among primates.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: June 01, 2015, 07:44:13 pm »

The way to make the internet anonymous is to attach a stick to every computer that will whack people at the request of anyone else.  That way the desire to hunt down strangers in real life will be gone.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: June 01, 2015, 08:04:37 pm »

The way to make the internet anonymous is to attach a stick to every computer that will whack people at the request of anyone else.  That way the desire to hunt down strangers in real life will be gone.

You clearly haven't thought this through. If you give human beings a button, studies show they push that button. All that'd do is reintroduce a low impact version of pre-Internet discourse to the Internet.

As an aside, last week I learned the break down of the German word for suggestion. It's Vorschlag. When you break it down, "Vor" is before, and "schlag" is some kind of violent action like to hit or strike. So in context, the word means "what I say before I start hitting you."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: June 01, 2015, 08:27:36 pm »

...that's the point.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: June 02, 2015, 03:58:33 am »

You clearly haven't thought this through. If you give human beings a button, studies show they push that button. All that'd do is reintroduce a low impact version of pre-Internet discourse to the Internet.

As an aside, last week I learned the break down of the German word for suggestion. It's Vorschlag. When you break it down, "Vor" is before, and "schlag" is some kind of violent action like to hit or strike. So in context, the word means "what I say before I start hitting you."
And for semantic discussions, we have the "Nachschlagewerk" - the dictionary. "Nach" is after, "schlag" you already mentioned, and a "werk" is (somewhat archaically) something for a specific purpose. In context, it can be taken to mean "the thing I'll hit you with after our discussion".
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: June 02, 2015, 06:28:29 am »

The German language is basically just a mechanism for being very precise about when you are going to start hitting someone.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: June 02, 2015, 08:05:16 am »

This is why I'm trying to learn German.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: June 02, 2015, 08:11:51 am »

But you're Canadian. If anything, you need a language that is very precise about when you're NOT hitting someone. And has twenty different words for snow.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: June 02, 2015, 08:55:12 am »

The German language is basically just a mechanism for being very precise about when you are going to start hitting someone.

Likost, if I recall, translates to "A face badly in need of a fist." So, yes.
What's likost?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: June 02, 2015, 09:03:50 am »

Now I'm wondering that too. It doesn't seem to have a literal translation in English.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: June 02, 2015, 09:09:33 am »

But you're Canadian. If anything, you need a language that is very precise about when you're NOT hitting someone. And has twenty different words for snow.
Hey, I'm already a mess of contradictions! A Canadian Viking?! Come on!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: June 02, 2015, 09:25:04 am »

You know, once you learn German you can be the friendly Canadian counterpart to the Teknoviking.
The Bay12 postcard club

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: June 02, 2015, 09:25:59 am »

Mapleviking.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 1342