Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1550196 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Was Inevitable
« Reply #1875 on: May 18, 2015, 04:57:11 pm »

We already know he's eccentric anyway.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1876 on: May 18, 2015, 06:17:31 pm »

Fucking nominations, how do they work? -- asks Herman "2Dope" Cain, circa 2011.

Is anyone else's jaw hanging open at the recent race of GOP candidates to denounce the Iraq War, and talk up how they wouldn't have voted for it?

Part of me is glad that this will now hopefully convince the remaining inbreds in this country still defending that shitpile of a war to let it go.
The larger part of me wants to tie these horseturds to a pillory and give 1000 lashes each until they openly and publicly say "I WAS WRONG". And not just the candidates, but also (or maybe *especially*) guys like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly, who were the loudest cheerleaders of the war and vocally denigrated those who opposed the war.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 06:22:21 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1877 on: May 18, 2015, 06:33:09 pm »

Is anyone else's jaw hanging open at the recent race of GOP candidates to denounce the Iraq War, and talk up how they wouldn't have voted for it?

Not really. Seems like positioning to undercut Jeb during the nomination, making him guilty by association. Well, that and Jeb categorically said he would have waged the same war, based on the same shitty intelligence. Before swiftly saying the opposite next week.

What flabbergasted me was that Hilary didn't even slightly equivocate about her stance on the war, despite the fucking senate record showing exactly how she voted. "I opposed the war once facts came to light about our intelligence" sounds better than "I always opposed the war. <from the back of the crowd> "No you didn't!""
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: May 18, 2015, 06:44:57 pm »

She's a politician. Lieing is part of the game, and spincontrol is a means to an end.

There's also the possible explanation of:

Morally, she was opposed to the war, but voted in favor given the information provided.  Thus, she was morally opposed to the conflict (always against== true!), but still voted to engage in it, based on faulty intelligence.

Personally, I was opposed to the war on the basis that you cannot stop an ideology short of enacting ideological genocide. (complete destruction of a way of thinking) Doing that is far more costly than any kind of traditional warfare imaginable. (It would be far less expensive to just drop enough nukes on them that nothing survives, not even germs.)

However, given the stakes, the consequences of inaction would have been catastrophic if the intelligence was correct. (Choosing inaction would have been unconscionably against the mandated objectives of the public servants in question-- they are tasked with preserving the integrity and safety of the united states and its people, and allowing a foreign power to develop WMDs would have been against this.)

Basically, one of those moments where you wince terribly as you push the button, because you REAALLY dont want to press it, but feel that doing it is marginally better than not pressing it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: May 18, 2015, 06:50:47 pm »

Yeah, whatev. That intelligence case started looking shaky about 0.5 seconds after it came out of Colin Powell's mouth. There were numerous leaks at the time coming from the CIA and DIA basically saying "Yeaahhh....we don't really know what Saddam's has or doesn't have", and yet at the same time that you had Rumsfeld saying "We know he has the weapons. We know where they are."

Everyone and their brother has blamed "intelligence failures" for years, but the only intellligence failure was in the brains of those who took Rumsfeld and Cheney's Team B bullshit at face value.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: May 18, 2015, 06:59:03 pm »

I was 17 at the time with little political awareness, and it was immediately a bunch of crap even to me.  It was blatantly taking advantage of the cultural climate right after 9/11 for some easy war profiteering.  It was incredible to me that anyone fell for the shit.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: May 18, 2015, 07:02:45 pm »

Basically, one of those moments where you wince terribly as you push the button, because you REAALLY dont want to press it, but feel that doing it is marginally better than not pressing it.

I don't really fault her for voting for the war. Practically everyone did, at the time. Everyone in power was either too enraged, too gutless or too opportunistic to question it.

What I fault her for is riding the bandwagon on the Iraq War's popularity today, instead of giving a measured, realistic response. You know. The kind of thing a veteran political operative should be capable of doing, realizing their senate record directly contradicts what they're saying. That whole moment is a deep embarrassment for everyone involved. Maybe copping to that would have been better than acting like they're still on some moral high ground.

Anyways, the reason we're even talking about the Iraq War is because Jeb is a Bush. Normally I'd say any publicity during an election can be considered good publicity. But almost everyone has managed to either make themselves look like a hypocrite by mentioning their stance on it, or demonstrated how they'll say anything people want to hear at the time if it polls well. I know I know, someone in back is going to say "That always happens!" Just seems like even the front runners are in on the act now, which typically they're capable of staying above that level of stupid because they don't need to dip down into it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 07:16:22 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: May 18, 2015, 08:54:19 pm »

Anyways, the reason we're even talking about the Iraq War is because Jeb is a Bush.

Not really. If he hadn't decided to absorb G.W. Bush's baggage (which btw, he's definetly having !!!FUN!!! with) by making him one of his advisors, we might not be, at least not as fervently. Heck, G.W. Bush started backing away at light speed when Jeb fumbled with questions in Iraq. Then again, theres the whole Middle East situation, which itself is bringing up it's own can of worms.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: May 18, 2015, 08:59:20 pm »

« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:15:50 pm by penguinofhonor »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: May 18, 2015, 09:23:46 pm »

I'm trying to find the article I read about it. And in doing other skimming it seems like she's copped to it.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 09:26:58 pm by nenjin »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: May 18, 2015, 10:37:31 pm »

Early on in the 2012 Primary race, the major Republicans spent about two weeks denouncing each other for being too capitalist.  That actually happened.

Some people will try to say anything to win an election, banking on the vast majority people not bothering to check any twelve year old recordings for when they said the exact opposite.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, most of the time it doesn't significantly affect anyone's opinion.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: May 19, 2015, 12:15:26 am »

A sack of dirt is still going to be a sack of dirt... but, more importantly, my sack of dirt is still better then your sack of dirt.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: May 19, 2015, 01:22:10 am »

Of course, the alternative to being a flip-flopping, spineless politician that bends with the wind is to be an "unelectable extremist" and to be hammered over and over on the one or two "objectionable" issues. Plus, even if you've held an unpopular view that has since been vindicated (eg. opposing the Iraq War from the get-go), you won't get mainstream support or coverage for being principled, you'll get hammered on an entirely different unpopular view instead. Hell, sometimes you could even get attacked for expressing a patently obvious truth. From 2001 to 2013 or so there was this inexplicable tendency in the US to demonize anyone that suggested actually trying to understand the motivations of terrorists rather than simply referring to them as "evildoers".
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: May 19, 2015, 06:38:32 am »

It feels wrong to even say it but I agree with GJ.  Those who opposed the war paid a political price for it at the time but weren't rehabilitated when they were vindicated.  That's a big part of Obama's success, he came to national prominence just after the war debate had turned so he never suffered for opposing it.

There's this whole idea of a master politician shaping narratives.  It's rather silly.  They aren't psychics.  Sometimes you can manipulate the issues but Iraq was hard to bring up the intelligence failures because it just wasn't sexy.  Whatshisname from West Virginia pulled out all the stops and he was completely freakin' ignored.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 06:42:34 am by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: May 19, 2015, 07:09:32 am »

And I'll still give preference to judging based on how their decisions effected millions of lives over how they've incorporated those decisions into their campaign strategy.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 124 125 [126] 127 128 ... 1342