Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1547074 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #1335 on: April 10, 2015, 09:33:07 am »

I guess the thing you're missing is that people are doing just that -- have been doing that, for literal decades now -- and it's not working. Great swathes of the american public are exposed to that information regularly. It's barely influencing them. As SG notes, there's a difference between having the data and actually caring to do something about it (even if that "something" is just acknowledging there's a problem), and just the data, no matter how troublesome, is only rarely enough to motivate the latter.

If the electorate don't respond to to the information when it's delivered to them in an already somewhat sensationalist fashion, then why would rephrasing the information be of any use?

Newspapers have been sensationalizing economic/pollution/societal issues for decades, I can't imagine that more sensationalism would help.

Hell, given how the US election system works I'm not sure that 55% of the population being activists of some sort would have any effect on policy if they weren't spread out in the right proportions.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: April 10, 2015, 09:51:29 am »

Hillary is announcing her 2016 candidacy on Sunday. About freaking time.

Maybe now other democrats will decide whether they have the courage to run? They no longer run the risk of offending Hillary if they start their candidacy before her.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: April 10, 2015, 10:30:21 am »

Maybe now other democrats will decide whether they have the courage to run? They no longer run the risk of offending Hillary if they start their candidacy before her.

Would they necessarily bother to stand against her?

She's one of their better candidates for securing the more mainstream vote, she's well known within the US, she has prior experience with the practices of the head office, she's got a pretty good amount of recognition in foreign countries, she hasn't had any major public gaffes that I'm aware of. She's a woman so that helps with the equality stance and will be enough to secure her some supporters on that alone.

She seems like the ideal candidate.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: April 10, 2015, 10:32:58 am »

I wonder how long you guys can keep up the no white men spree.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: April 10, 2015, 10:43:11 am »

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 06:33:34 pm by penguinofhonor »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: April 10, 2015, 11:03:25 am »

She's one of their better candidates for securing the more mainstream vote, she's well known within the US, she has prior experience with the practices of the head office, she's got a pretty good amount of recognition in foreign countries, she hasn't had any major public gaffes that I'm aware of. She's a woman so that helps with the equality stance and will be enough to secure her some supporters on that alone.

I was being sarcastic about the fact that it seems like she's the only Democrat running, or the only one who has really expressed intrest, besides Biden.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: April 10, 2015, 11:21:52 am »

I was being sarcastic about the fact that it seems like she's the only Democrat running, or the only one who has really expressed interest, besides Biden.

Aren't there only something like 2 other Democrat candidates right now with both of them being rather unknown? I know there's a quite a few openly considering it, but not really any who've taken the leap into actually running.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: April 10, 2015, 11:44:34 am »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:23:39 pm by penguinofhonor »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: April 10, 2015, 11:52:02 am »

Never forget Vermin Supreme.

Are we counting him? He's only running to satirize the general process after all.

And to offer free ponies of course.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: April 10, 2015, 12:30:57 pm »

Candidate's a candidate. VS counts as much as anyone else running with no actual intent to get elected.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: April 10, 2015, 12:37:45 pm »

I guess the thing you're missing is that people are doing just that -- have been doing that, for literal decades now -- and it's not working. Great swathes of the american public are exposed to that information regularly. It's barely influencing them. As SG notes, there's a difference between having the data and actually caring to do something about it (even if that "something" is just acknowledging there's a problem), and just the data, no matter how troublesome, is only rarely enough to motivate the latter.

If the electorate don't respond to to the information when it's delivered to them in an already somewhat sensationalist fashion, then why would rephrasing the information be of any use?

Newspapers have been sensationalizing economic/pollution/societal issues for decades, I can't imagine that more sensationalism would help.

Hell, given how the US election system works I'm not sure that 55% of the population being activists of some sort would have any effect on policy if they weren't spread out in the right proportions.

But they don't properly digest the idea that these aren't things that are just happening, they are things that are inflicted upon them by willful actions.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: April 11, 2015, 08:52:15 am »

She's an authoritarian, corrupt warmonger.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: April 11, 2015, 09:23:54 am »

She has all the hallmarks of a viable candidate.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: April 11, 2015, 11:45:07 am »

So par for the the course as US presidents go?
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1349 on: April 11, 2015, 12:22:30 pm »

Hillary running is a joke. Nobody wants to continue the Bush-Clinton Dynasty any further.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 1342