Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1548322 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #1215 on: April 05, 2015, 12:20:10 am »

I am on a mobile so I can't quote but 99.9% of those predicting a crisis in the early 2000s were talking out their ass. Rohbini was half coherant. The rest were lucky idiots. Plenty said there were problems but they didn't predict a crisis. That was why there was a crisis.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: April 05, 2015, 07:52:33 am »

I am on a mobile so I can't quote but 99.9% of those predicting a crisis in the early 2000s were talking out their ass. Rohbini was half coherant. The rest were lucky idiots. Plenty said there were problems but they didn't predict a crisis. That was why there was a crisis.

So the reason why there was a crisis is because people predicted one? Just asking because that's what you seem to be saying.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: April 05, 2015, 08:33:52 am »

No, m's saying they predicted problems, but more or less didn't predict them to be critical ones. Hence a crisis wasn't predicted, people didn't take the problems seriously enough, and hey presto, actual crisis instead of just notable issues.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: April 05, 2015, 08:58:12 am »

Yes. Only chicken littles said crisis. Nobody saw the actual extent of danger so it wasn't fixed. Some people say a crisis but they saw it in the wrong places.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: April 05, 2015, 10:01:18 am »

Plenty of people predicted the housing crisis, and several well before Roubini did to boot. Just look at Sennholz, Janszen, Karlsson, Richebacher, Polleit and Shostak.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: April 05, 2015, 10:05:22 am »

There's doomsayers predicting crises for damn near everything. Those who are wrong are just forgotten.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: April 05, 2015, 10:23:39 am »

Transhumanism - fuck no.
Eliminating corporations / mass decentralization / resource economics - fuck yes. Although decentralization sounds a bit ominous, if you know what I mean.
More egalitarian forms of democracy - yes.
Basic income - yes, please.
Embrace automation (and whatever else makes labor obsolete) - possibly yes, but on the other hand we're almost there already, and things don't seem to be getting better.
More funding for science - yup.
Mad science - do-it-yourself hydrogen bombs and killer viruses? No thanks.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: April 05, 2015, 11:20:51 am »

Yep. You can predict doomsday every day for a thousand years - you only need to be correct *once* and everyone left alive will hail you as an oracle.

Edit: Surq, why so vehement against transhumanism? o_o
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: April 05, 2015, 11:24:37 am »

Several of the very same people predicted the Dot Com bubble several years previous, too. It's also a bit silly to compare "predicting doomsday" with predicting a housing bubble while simultaneously providing an explanation for why it existed.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: April 05, 2015, 11:24:59 am »

Yep. You can predict doomsday every day for a thousand years - you only need to be correct *once* and everyone left alive will hail you as an oracle.

Edit: Surq, why so vehement against transhumanism? o_o
Because it silly. Me-caveman no-believe in magicks, only believe in stick and stone!

EDIT: ...but that only applies to the overzealous millenarianist brand of transhumanism. The non-crazy variety is just optimistic speculation, and I have no problem with it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 11:28:53 am by surqimus »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: April 05, 2015, 11:39:02 am »

I absolutely loathe the -humanism bit, personally.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1226 on: April 05, 2015, 11:45:56 am »

You're saying that plain "trans" is better? That has slightly different connotations, mind.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: April 05, 2015, 01:32:06 pm »

Regarding crisis stuff - that whether people predicted "crisis" or "just trouble" is irrelevant to why it still happened - the people doing the forecasting were not the ones who stood to profit from continuing down the road leading to crisis/troubles.

Transhumanism - check
Mad science... I don't actually have a problem with, so long as everything is informed and consensual... though I could see my attitude changing case by case

You've already embraced mad science by embracing dehumanism :P
Love, scriver~

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1228 on: April 05, 2015, 01:37:13 pm »

Transhumanism - check
Mad science... I don't actually have a problem with, so long as everything is informed and consensual... though I could see my attitude changing case by case

You've already embraced mad science by embracing dehumanism :P

Heheh you may be right there :)

Though I'm not sure how I feel about trans-humanism being equated with de-humanism.  Not that I outright reject it, but it's an interesting topic that needs a lot of thought.  I still fundamentally agree with the idea of improving the human condition by physically improving the human condition.  It's just the details that get very crunchy.  The sociological details, especially.  Equality is something that needs to be addressed before transhumanism can really be allowed to take off.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: April 05, 2015, 01:55:35 pm »

Any transhuman device I make, my default stance would be to release the patents. Subject to change depending on circumstance though. All in the details.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 80 81 [82] 83 84 ... 1342