Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1549091 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Election Megathread- It Is Terrifying
« Reply #1095 on: March 22, 2015, 02:50:20 pm »

There would be no rational incentive but it's been proven time and again that people are very irrational.  I bet many people wouldn't even know if there was a gold standard.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 22, 2015, 02:51:47 pm »

I suggest we stop with the doublespeak nonsense and just tie the value of the dollar directly to valleys.

In fairness I also hold that the equivalent should be done over here. The transition to Crowns might be less remarkable (apart from the new trends in fashion), but I think thenew use of Ears will be very interesting.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 22, 2015, 02:52:42 pm »

I dont get it.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 22, 2015, 02:56:46 pm »

Dollar means roughly Valley/Dale, named either after the Austrian who was the first to do something to do with currency (von Daler?) or the place he was from, or something like that.

The Swedish currency is called Crowns and Ears.
Love, scriver~

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 22, 2015, 03:04:56 pm »

Neither has intrinsic value, both have whatever value people believe they have.

Not quite true anymore. Gold has quite a bit of value in the electronics industry for practical purposes. Industrial demand for gold, in addition to the traditional ornamental uses for gold, will also effect the relative values if you are on the gold standard.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 22, 2015, 04:34:58 pm »

Not quite true anymore. Gold has quite a bit of value in the electronics industry for practical purposes. Industrial demand for gold, in addition to the traditional ornamental uses for gold, will also effect the relative values if you are on the gold standard.

Not just electronics. Gold's physical properties (particularly not corroding) make it a very useful industrial metal.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 23, 2015, 10:16:05 am »

Not just electronics. Gold's physical properties (particularly not corroding) make it a very useful industrial metal.

Silver is a much better bet.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 23, 2015, 11:25:04 pm »

As I said just a few posts up, congress would be better off abandoning all sanity, and openly adoping bitcoin, rather than trying the gold standard. Bitcoin is a scarce commodity, but it is one that can have more of it created from basically nothing. (Just energy and time.)  that makes it a far better candidate than gold ever could be, because it can be inflated. Gold cant be.
I feel it necessary to note that bitcoin is actually more limited then gold. There can never be more then 21 million bitcoins no matter what (and there are already 13 million). Ever. With gold there is still a ton more that can be mined. Despite them both being limited, bitcoins are in many ways even more limited then gold.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 24, 2015, 01:24:56 am »

As I said just a few posts up, congress would be better off abandoning all sanity, and openly adoping bitcoin, rather than trying the gold standard. Bitcoin is a scarce commodity, but it is one that can have more of it created from basically nothing. (Just energy and time.)  that makes it a far better candidate than gold ever could be, because it can be inflated. Gold cant be.
I feel it necessary to note that bitcoin is actually more limited then gold. There can never be more then 21 million bitcoins no matter what (and there are already 13 million). Ever. With gold there is still a ton more that can be mined. Despite them both being limited, bitcoins are in many ways even more limited then gold.

I wsa unaware that there was a limitation on the total length of the block chain.  Still, the basic idea was that should such a restriction NOT be present, a cryptocurrency LIKE bitcoin would work better than gold.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: March 24, 2015, 01:32:00 am »

Or, well, not like it, since it was never terribly much more than a fairly effective scam to get the initial investors a good amount of dosh.

But a non-physical sort of currency, sure. It's not like we're not actually using one (well, several) already.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: March 24, 2015, 08:30:49 am »

The Bitcoin standard is something you hear proposed only from anarcho-capitalist morons on Reddit. Suffice to say that backing the world's largest economy in a pseudo-currency that takes upwards of an hour to transfer owners is not a move you want to make.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: March 24, 2015, 08:54:08 am »

Sounds like it would solve the problem of flash trading on wall street!  And people say the invisible hand doesn't work, silly statists!
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: March 24, 2015, 11:08:03 am »

A world in which Donald Trump's wealth could evaporate because he loses a flash drive is a world I desperately want to see, if not necessarily live in.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: March 24, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »

A world in which Donald Trump's wealth could evaporate because he loses a flash drive is a world I desperately want to see, if not necessarily live in.
Reminds me of that bit coin company that was in the process of declaring bankruptcy and clearing out their old bit coin wallets when they stumbled on one that had several billion dollars in it that they had just forgotten about. Needless to say they decided not to declare bankruptcy. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 1342