Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544849 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #8010 on: December 12, 2015, 05:23:33 pm »

If you're talking about student loans, for the most part the government is the creditor. And no matter how unlikely it is that they'll get it back, they'll get as much out their debtors as they can with the same grinding relentlessness as they do anything else. Bankruptcy isn't going to help too much on that one.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8011 on: December 12, 2015, 05:26:04 pm »

That way lies madness. They will spend more on court costs and litigation than they will recoup, should the debtor truly not be able to pay.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8012 on: December 12, 2015, 05:29:27 pm »

... of course it isn't, since bankruptcy generally doesn't discharge student debt. It's possible, but the chances aren't exactly the best. Numbers I recall is that about 40% of bankruptcy seekers qualify, and at least part/one of the process(es) involved is more or less entirely at a judge's discretion. Hope you got a good lawye-- pfft, ahahaha, yeah, you've got student debt and are seeking bankruptcy, you can't afford a good lawyer.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:31:11 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8013 on: December 12, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »

Student debt is the poster child for nondischargable debt.

The student has better statistical odds discharging credit card debt than they do student debt.

This has led me to suggest, in humor- not seriousness, that people divert the student debt to a credit card, THEN file.

Other "Joke" solutions include things like the above diversion, followed not by bankruptcy, but by being a "toxic debtor." That is to say, KEEPING the absurd debt, and refusing to make payments. When the creditor sells the debt to a collection agency for the writeoff, bait the agency into doing abusive collection techniques by being an asshole. THEN litigate the collection agency based on federal consumer protection laws. add insult to injury, and use the judgements to pay off the principle debt.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:37:29 pm by wierd »

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8015 on: December 12, 2015, 05:55:27 pm »

...would it actually be possible to pay off student loans using credit cards, and then declare bankruptcy on that?
don't tempt me...

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8016 on: December 12, 2015, 06:02:48 pm »

Perhaps possible, if you made it look like it was not a purposeful, strategic move.

EG, take the credit card, and over the course of say, 3 or 4 years, make small cash withdrawls from the credit card, and pay that onto the student loan, along with using the card for normal expenses. This makes you look like an idiot, not a conniving predatory debtor.

Once all of the balance of the student loan is transfered, and the college is satisfied (you get the letter stating that your debt is satisfied), then and only then, file for bankruptcy to discharge the credit card debt.

I am fairly certain that this is genuine fraud though, so I do not really advocate it. Dont try that, ok?

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8017 on: December 12, 2015, 06:22:35 pm »

it's also unlikely as a person fresh out of college, to get a credit card that would actually make a significant dent in a student debt in one shot. Multiple cards, maybe, but that increases the chance that it'll be viewed in a bad light by those who interpret laws.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8018 on: December 12, 2015, 07:28:08 pm »

Rather than discuss clearly illegal solutions, let's discuss why the government insists on student debt being nondischargable?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8019 on: December 12, 2015, 07:38:40 pm »

Rather than discuss clearly illegal solutions, let's discuss why the government insists on student debt being nondischargable?

Because the government is full of idiots? :P

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8020 on: December 12, 2015, 07:51:04 pm »

This is a simple one.

People have become convinced that every single child *must* attend college. If you don't go to college you're just a dummy who's going to scrub toliets or flip burgers your whole life. As a result of this, already expensive college prices have soared drastically to the point where many people simply cannot afford it even if their parents save up for it.

But that's a problem, because EVERY CHILD MUST GO TO COLLEGE NO MATTER WHAT. So the obvious american solution? take out a loan.

But a lot of people can't get loans for that huge amount, especially the poor and..... young students trying to get into college. BUT EVERY KID MUST GO TO COLLEGE!!!!! So people whinge about it, every kid must go to college and that means every kid must be able to get a loan to go to college and the government has to do something.

How do you convince people to give out loans to risky groups? simple! make it so that they can't discharge the loan and are forced to pay it back eventually.

Tada! now everyone can get huge loans to go to college and students who don't know any better and are practically forced to go to college even if it's not the best option for them attend college because everyone needs to attend college because it's the only smart thing to do and you're not a dummy are you? are saddled with massive debts that they can't get rid of.

Or, to look at it another way, if student loans could be discharged it would be a *lot* harder to get them. Would you want to be the politician who's proposing we make it harder for the poor and working class to get into college?
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8021 on: December 12, 2015, 07:59:44 pm »

it's also unlikely as a person fresh out of college, to get a credit card that would actually make a significant dent in a student debt in one shot. Multiple cards, maybe, but that increases the chance that it'll be viewed in a bad light by those who interpret laws.
I'unno. It's not actually that difficult to get it set up. I got my card set up when I was 20, with my mother as a co-signer. When I went on study abroad I got my limit bumped up to $3k by my bank with no issue, and a few months later I got my mother off the card. I reduced the limit back down to $1k because I honestly don't need that much, but my credit score is good enough that I likely could have increased it instead. If someone really wanted to try this and had a decent bit of financial stability, they could pretty easily get a couple different cards up to ~$5k limits by making small, regular purchases and paying their bills in full.

That said, declaring bankruptcy is an option of last resort for a reason, and doing provably illegal stuff is a bad idea if it's the government on your case.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8022 on: December 12, 2015, 08:40:50 pm »

A minority of 40 percent of likely Republican caucus-goers support making abortion illegal, including in cases of rape, incest, or to save the life of the mother. Among supporters of Cruz—who supports a no-exceptions abortion ban—that number is 58 percent, compared to 30 percent among Trump's backers.

More than two-thirds of likely Republican caucus-goers want to stop all U.S. resettlement of Syrian war refugees, 61 percent support sending at least 20,000 troops to fight the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria and 54 percent support deporting the estimated 11 million undocumented residents in the U.S.

On fiscal issues, almost three-quarters of Republican caucus-goers support a tax reform plan that cuts taxes on all Americans, including the very wealthiest. Sixty one percent want to abolish the Internal Revenue Service. Roughly the same proportion want to repeal the financial reform laws enacted after the banking crisis in 2008, and say they think climate change is a hoax.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8023 on: December 12, 2015, 08:41:53 pm »

Redwallzyl-- Yes. I already said as much on the prior page.
In fact, I suspect myself of having cancer right now, but will not seek treatment. (I have a genetic disorder that causes me to develop benign lipomas-- fatty tumors. I have several that feel very deep, that have started becoming painful. That's a serious sign that they have become malignant. I will do my part by not seeking treatment.)

So... why wait for the cancer?
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8024 on: December 12, 2015, 08:47:29 pm »

Redwallzyl-- Yes. I already said as much on the prior page.
In fact, I suspect myself of having cancer right now, but will not seek treatment. (I have a genetic disorder that causes me to develop benign lipomas-- fatty tumors. I have several that feel very deep, that have started becoming painful. That's a serious sign that they have become malignant. I will do my part by not seeking treatment.)

So... why wait for the cancer?

Not seeing the point here in not seeking treatment (besides the whole 'medicare is expensive' thing).
Pages: 1 ... 533 534 [535] 536 537 ... 1342