Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544990 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7980 on: December 12, 2015, 04:12:39 pm »

Agreed. 

Also agreed that mass sterilization is not a good answer, and i disagree with "random lots" as well. (the influential will find ways to never be selected by rigging the process.)

IMO, actual disease is the most nonpartisan method. Care should be pallative, not curative. That way people dont suffer unduly, but they dont keep on surviving and contributing to the resource collapse.  Rich and poor alike get sick.

Ironically, by removing the evolutionary pressure on disease organisms to adapt to antibiotic drugs, we stand to halt that trend by doing this as well.

This kind of thinking is not spawned of hatred for people, or worse, some perverse desire to see people die, but as a sober realization that something very undesirable like this is better overall for the human race than the rapid and forceful "bust" cycle that our species has been postponing.

This way at least, civilization as we know it can endure.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7981 on: December 12, 2015, 04:20:44 pm »

What is the big issue with this many people anyways? We have plenty of food and living space.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7982 on: December 12, 2015, 04:22:27 pm »

I quite believe you, MSH. In fact, from your arguments you seem to be one of the good ones advancing this. It's great in theory. In practice, the reaction you get is going to be 99% of all the reactions you're going to get from the people who believe the same problem exists that you do, which is a terribly sad thing indeed. Even worse, we're barely 100 years removed from the last major movement that said there were too many people on the planet, and that's poisoned the well of that particular rhetoric in so many ways. Especially given their own methods of trying to implement the change they wanted.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7983 on: December 12, 2015, 04:23:45 pm »

Agreed. 

Also agreed that mass sterilization is not a good answer, and i disagree with "random lots" as well. (the influential will find ways to never be selected by rigging the process.)

IMO, actual disease is the most nonpartisan method. Care should be pallative, not curative. That way people dont suffer unduly, but they dont keep on surviving and contributing to the resource collapse.  Rich and poor alike get sick.

Ironically, by removing the evolutionary pressure on disease organisms to adapt to antibiotic drugs, we stand to halt that trend by doing this as well.

This kind of thinking is not spawned of hatred for people, or worse, some perverse desire to see people die, but as a sober realization that something very undesirable like this is better overall for the human race than the rapid and forceful "bust" cycle that our species has been postponing.

This way at least, civilization as we know it can endure.
still really dark. would you care to volunteer to have your completely curable injury or disease kill you? i certainly wont and neither will anyone else. you sound like the misguided villain of an action movie. its always the "for the greater good" approach that has lead to the most suffering in history.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:27:38 pm by redwallzyl »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7984 on: December 12, 2015, 04:27:28 pm »

actually, we dont.  see prior page where I pointed out why modern farming techniques are not sustainable.

We are able to do it now, at the cost of accellerated climate change, which destroys cropland (and water sources). The green revolution traded the population bomb for the climate bomb. Either way,  Malthus still wins.

Unless we invent both fusion power, on a large scale, and startrek like molecular replication--- we cannot continue to sustain the existing population's needs.

Redwallzyl-- Yes. I already said as much on the prior page.
In fact, I suspect myself of having cancer right now, but will not seek treatment. (I have a genetic disorder that causes me to develop benign lipomas-- fatty tumors. I have several that feel very deep, that have started becoming painful. That's a serious sign that they have become malignant. I will do my part by not seeking treatment.)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7985 on: December 12, 2015, 04:28:07 pm »

What is the big issue with this many people anyways?
Do you have numbers to back this stuff up?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7986 on: December 12, 2015, 04:31:21 pm »

What is the big issue with this many people anyways?
Do you have numbers to back this stuff up?
uhhh.. No. That is why I asked the question. I was hoping someone else did.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7987 on: December 12, 2015, 04:31:54 pm »

I was agreeing with your question and adding my own.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7988 on: December 12, 2015, 04:32:28 pm »

I don't think very many people in developed countries are going to be very receptive to "You should all be living in poverty! You're using too many resources, living too long, and are too healthy!", and when they tell you that you're insane, following up by calling them "RACISTS!" is just going to piss them off more.

wierd: ...

*clicks reply* "NEW POST" *clicks reply* "NEW POST!"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7989 on: December 12, 2015, 04:33:07 pm »

I am of the opinion that we've already passed the tipping point of both overpopulation and global warming. Anything we do now is barely even delaying the inevitable- it only really buys us one more generation, and then we're hosed anyway. I'd spend more time trying to get off this planet than trying to save it.
It is my opinion that we let the earth handle it's own climate since it is better at it than we are. But people don't like that for some reason.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7990 on: December 12, 2015, 04:33:50 pm »

I am of the opinion that we've already passed the tipping point of both overpopulation and global warming. Anything we do now is barely even delaying the inevitable- it only really buys us one more generation, and then we're hosed anyway. I'd spend more time trying to get off this planet than trying to save it.

<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7991 on: December 12, 2015, 04:36:15 pm »

This newsweek article links to some studies, and throws some numbers around.
www.newsweek.com/even-pandemic-wouldnt-create-sustainable-population-study-says-280338

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7992 on: December 12, 2015, 04:37:07 pm »

Or we could just go on with life as normal and hope that the earth can fix itself.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7993 on: December 12, 2015, 04:37:39 pm »

That's funny, I just get a blank page.

Edit: Ah. It just took a long time to load.

Edit #2: Showing a "limit of 5 free articles per month" overlay despite having javascript off. How dastardly. Guess I can't RTFA!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7994 on: December 12, 2015, 04:44:25 pm »

Thanks. It doesn't sound like they considered whether effects from climate change could cause mass deaths, though I don't know if they would be in the billions. (E.G. from increased wildfires, droughts, food shortages, hurricanes, floods, heatstroke, etc)
Pages: 1 ... 531 532 [533] 534 535 ... 1342