Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545637 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread- Voting Trump/Wallace in '168
« Reply #7890 on: December 11, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »

He might be meaning "your", as in "american".  IIRC, Willfor is canadian?

(I think?)

And as much as I hope Trump does not win the nomination..... .... ...  I think he will. No matter how much Mainiac tries to apply liberal coatings of anodyne lineament to my psyche on that matter.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:45:39 pm by wierd »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7891 on: December 11, 2015, 07:44:17 pm »

He might be meaning "your", as in "american".  IIRC, Willfor is canadian?

(I think?)

I was thinking British because of the 'superpower' quip, but he threw a few 'we' s in there, so I wasn't sure.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7892 on: December 11, 2015, 07:49:30 pm »

Yeah, sorry, I was only using 'your' in the US sense, sorry. I'm only 50 miles from the border, but it still feels very weird to say 'our' when I am not a citizen. It makes some phrasings weird.

US policy does directly affect my life though. Just yesterday I paid 33% more for a service due to currency issues.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 07:51:14 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7893 on: December 11, 2015, 07:55:16 pm »

US policy does directly affect my life though. Just yesterday I paid 33% more for a service due to currency issues.

Due to currency conversion? I don't think the Canadian dollar is that much off from the US dollar though.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7894 on: December 11, 2015, 07:55:29 pm »

Again, I despise all of the candidates, but Trump is simply irresponsible to vote for.

Hillary is merely dubious-- I can forgive somebody voting for her. But Trump? That's just straight up pathological.
Sanders seems pretty fine to me. Then again-Not my country!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7895 on: December 11, 2015, 07:58:14 pm »

Due to currency conversion? I don't think the Canadian dollar is that much off from the US dollar though.

8(
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7896 on: December 11, 2015, 07:59:04 pm »

Yes. Of the current crop, Sanders has my vote by default.  However, should he be elected, nothing will come of it. The congress and senate are filled with octogenarian old farts who scarcely understand electricity, let alone things like the internet, and modern approaches to social problems. (moreover, there is a strong holdover from the McCarthy days against "Dreaded communism!" which poisons any such debate, and which gives rise to things like last election's arguments about "free riding poor people." and other absurdities.)

I realize the irony there, given that sanders is himself, an old fart.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #7897 on: December 11, 2015, 08:03:51 pm »

Well, Bush said he looked into Putin's soul and saw he was good, so..
And of course! Bush is absolutely to be trusted![/sarcasm]
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7898 on: December 11, 2015, 08:19:03 pm »

I wouldn't consider anyone's opinion very reliable if that was their reason (or if it was "because God told me so," which is arguably even more concerning).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7899 on: December 11, 2015, 08:31:26 pm »

I just realized what Trump's first move would be should he wind up in office, based on all of his talking and the like.

I think the first thing he'd do is have the country declare bankruptcy in the hopes of trying to abuse the law.

Probably. If his attempt at suing a Bush supporting PAC shows anything (he tried to use, it's possible that he'll try to do something absurd like that which doesn't actually work.

Though I'll give him the benefit of the doubt there because apparently that lawyer has no clue about election law or something.

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if he attempted to use his company's assets to get around congress or do what he wanted. Not sure if theres some clause or whatever that says a president can't be on the board of or the CEO or whatever, of any businesses they own or are the boss of before they become elected. Candidates usually leave the board of whatever (if they're on one) before they start their candidacy.

Edit: Did a quick wiki look and it doesn't look like there is anything regarding businesses owned by the candidate. We've never had a president like Trump who also controls a major business (Real Estate in this case), so, this would be uncharted territory.

Edit2: Wait, there were the two Bushes who were in the Oil industry, not sure what positions they were in.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:39:52 pm by smjjames »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7900 on: December 11, 2015, 08:39:05 pm »

IIRC, I think that is part of the insider trading laws.

Basically, as a politician, you are able to make policies that unduely influence the ability of companies to be profitable or not-- and can stand to profit greatly from this by remaining on the board.  To eliminate the risk of being brought up on such charges, the career politicians recuse themselves through stepping off the boards in question while in office.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7901 on: December 11, 2015, 08:52:44 pm »

The thread is spinning through topics fairly quickly, but there was some sniping up there not too long ago time-wise that was nearly out of control.  I'd appreciate it if those involved would inhabit themselves with a spirit of calm after composing their posts and before pressing the post button, and then make changes as needed.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7902 on: December 11, 2015, 09:25:12 pm »

I'm voting for Toady One.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7903 on: December 11, 2015, 09:35:50 pm »

Toady One/Three Toe 2016

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7904 on: December 11, 2015, 09:37:14 pm »

Last thing you want is a procedurally-generated law being passed.
that is far from the last thing i want
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 525 526 [527] 528 529 ... 1342