Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544037 times)

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #2955 on: July 17, 2015, 02:23:33 pm »

Redking, I'm pretty sure Nenjin remarked on that because if it had been a white guy there at least wouldn't be any blanket Muslim-shaming over this like every other goddamn shooting that happens in this country, since for some reason everyone here will blame the race, religion, and ethnic origin of every shooter unless they're white.

Nah, if they're Muslim their religion will be blamed more or less regardless of whether they're white or not. Just look at the Boston bombers.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: July 17, 2015, 02:27:33 pm »

After months of anticipation—and nearly a decade of neglect—No Child Left Behind’s demise is closer than ever to becoming a reality.
Praise Zeus, Buddallah, and Satan! Going to still be a bit, and there's yet no telling if what's replacing it will actually improve things, but gods fuck would it be good news that Bush's embuggering of the US education system has finally been fornicated off into oblivion. Assuming the new system doesn't end up worse, there's going to be a lot of happier teachers out there in the relatively near future. Probably happier students, too.
Don't worry, it's already lasted long enough that there are people graduating high school right now that have never known anything else. The damage is done.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: July 17, 2015, 02:49:10 pm »

@redking on finances: Trump being rich doesn't exempt him from getting his finances analyzed with an electron microscope. Hell, let's throw in high definition scanners from all across the EM spectrum.

That's IF he makes it through November and in the very unlikely case that he, somehow, becomes the Republican nominee.

On the poll stuff, with over 15 candidates, the pie is being sliced very thinly. We'll start seeing more meaningful shifts in the polls with the first debate.

I still think they should do the planned thing with splitting the debate into two sections, one with the top 10 and one with the rest.

Also, I think one way to resolve the issue of who gets in what group is to go with the RNG. In other words, do something like putting the numbers 1 to 18 or whatever into a bowl, shuffle it around, and let the candidates pick a piece of paper out of there. Those that get 1 to 10 get into the first part, 11 to whatever go into the second part. Measures will have to be taken though to make sure that nobody tries to cheat or change their numbers or anything.

It's simple and favors nobody. I don't know why FOX hasn't thought of that solution.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: July 17, 2015, 02:52:36 pm »

I don't know why FOX hasn't thought of that solution.

It's simple and favors nobody.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2959 on: July 17, 2015, 02:55:34 pm »

With so many candidates and disagreement on how to define who is top in the polls (also which polls to use, etc), it works as a backup solution if all else fails.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: July 17, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »

If only those Marines had been armed...

Thanks for taking away their guns, Obama.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2961 on: July 17, 2015, 04:32:43 pm »

Sorry to any Marines out there, and I'm not advocating or celebrating the deaths of an US serviceperson or applicant, but I find it hilarious that the Army recruiting station had no such problems due to effectively barricading themselves.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: July 18, 2015, 01:25:26 am »

Define what a fundamental right is, and I will get back to you. Ultimately, with a democratically elected government (or democratically biased republic, like the US), the real deal is upholding the populace's views.

From the United Nation's Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Quote from: Article 2
Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Quote from: Article 16
    (1) Men and women of full age, without any limitation due to race, nationality or religion, have the right to marry and to found a family. They are entitled to equal rights as to marriage, during marriage and at its dissolution.

There. Definition given. Tada.

See, Here is the deal with your chosen definition.

It is the result of collaborating opinions on what people should expect to have as a "right."  It is arbitrary, in that many previous groups of humans have colluded in this fashion to hammer out a codex of legal doctrine that safeguards these "rights" in human history, and these groups' opinions on what those rights are and how inalienable they are have differed wildly.

That's why some groups of humans have historically given such protections only to men, or only to people of a certain ethnic background, what have you.

Ultimately, there is nothing truly "fundamental" about these collectively ascribed features that the society chooses to enshrine and protect.  Unlike, say, the charge of an electron, which derives its fundamental charge from the combined partial charges of its constituent quarks, who have truly fundamental properties-- the so called "fundamental" rights derive only from debatable and arbitrary ideas created by collections of humans.  In short, humans have these rights, because humans say they do.  On the flip side, since this is the true fundament of these fundamental rights, they can be easily overturned by a larger, or at least more powerful group of humans, simply using force to do so. As a consequence, humans also DONT have those rights, because other humans say they dont.

This gets even more complicated philosophically, because it is often considered to be unconscionable for one group to force its views and ideals onto another group, because this destroys one of the groups, and diminishes the spectrum of the human condition. (Loss of unique cultures, et al.)  Extrapolated out, this means that for the same reason it was not A-OK for the technologically superior European settlers that arrived on the North American continent to subjugate and defraud the indigenous peoples and destroy their cultures for said European's benefit-- (Under the auspices of "spreading civilization to those savages") it is likewise not A-OK to forcibly subvert the belief structures (and resulting views on what constitute rights) of other groups of humans, under the auspices of "Promoting progressiveness".

The UN charter on the declaration of human rights is just one really large group of humans telling all the others to fall in line. (or else)
The same is true of any other such legal doctrine.

What you are missing here, is what happens when two different sets of such doctrines collide. I have seen the rhetoric stated that these bodies are "Well-Established".  I will counter this with other such "Well established" bodies that define rights that are to be respected within civil matters-- Namely, the quran and the levitical texts.  Those are so very well established in fact, that they have outlasted the modern documents cited by nearly an order of magnitude in terms of raw time.  By what power or authority does one group, with such "Well-established" rights as those created by the UN, declare that the rights afforded by older doctrines (such as religious texts) are superseded (or else)? (The answer, you will find, is military and or police power/might.)

This leads to an ethical conundrum: 

Would you say that a group of religious zealots taking over with lots of guns, bombs, and other high power ordinance, and ripping up your beloved doctrines on human rights is acceptable?

If you say no to this question-- how do you justify doing that exact thing to the religious communities that forbid homosexual couplings and unions, under threat of imprisonment and violence by the state?

If you said yes to this question, then how do you justify the specific messages inside your particular flavor of philosophical tyranny over that of any other arbitrary group, since by enforcing that set of inclusive messages, you are destroying other groups, whch is the opposite of being inclusive?

This is the actual meaning of my rhetorical question to you.  "can you define what a fundamental human right is?"

Naturally, since an actual exploration of that topic would have destroyed your philosophical perch, you ignored it completely.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:48:58 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: July 18, 2015, 01:50:48 am »

You mistakenly believe that I am unaware of, or disregard the existence of, the tyranny of the majority.

Nevermind that it was central to the thesis above.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2964 on: July 18, 2015, 01:51:15 am »

The rights being fundamentally arbitrary is true, but they probably still provide one of the best available measures of what's not going to hurt people, even if people disagree with them.

Also electrons are elementary particles. They're not made of quarks.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: July 18, 2015, 01:57:44 am »

Incorrect.

The original argument was for the preservation of state primacy.  That permits the individual state governments to create local laws that better reflect the beliefs and views on rights of the local constituency of those regions, allowing a greater total diversity of such systems. The federal government should not attempt to harmonize those systems.

It is a compromise, between the need for a society (any society) to produce such doctrines, and the dangers of producing a monoculture that centralized government with a centralized proclamation would produce.

Again, If you dont like the local laws, there is nothing stopping you from moving to where you will find the laws more favorable.  That works for both sides.

Centralized authority means destruction of one of the sides, by force.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: July 18, 2015, 02:07:13 am »

I will counter with this: It is even harder to move out of a centralized power regime.  See the DPRK.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: July 18, 2015, 02:10:20 am »

Have you actually explored the financial costs required to leave the US?

Did you know that if you do, you still have to pay US federal income taxes for 10 years, in addition to the income taxes of whatever host nation you chose to migrate to?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: July 18, 2015, 02:14:38 am »

This topic is about the dangers of a monoculture produced by the federal government, affecting the many diverse subcultural groups within the united state's physical geographical boundries.

By undertaking such actions, the only means left for american citizens that disagree with the proclamation is to migrate away. Where under state primacy type rules, the barrier to migration would be significantly smaller, because they dont have to pay their prior state's taxes in addition to the new state's-- The commerce clause CORRECTLY prohibits this kind of thing, and for exactly this kind of reason. In the case of the national level difference of opinion, the only recourse is international emmigration, which in this case, is well beyond the fiscal means of the vast majority of american citizens.

Ergo- it is every bit as onerous and officious as the DPRK-- Just with debt and the threat or US prisons, instead of Party Politics, and the threat of goulags.

Throw on top of that, the insipid philosophical message that this was done for their benefit. (Progressiveism)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:16:32 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: July 18, 2015, 02:22:53 am »

And I remind you about how the US's election system is gamed.  Or, did the "Gore won the populist vote!, but Bush won the presidency!" thing not sink in?

Aware of things like Jerrymandering?

Or, how the 1%s effectively rule the US's politics?
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 1342