Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1544308 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 2016 Freedom Megathread- Explosions and PBR Edition
« Reply #2985 on: July 18, 2015, 04:04:11 am »

PRECISELY!!!!!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: July 18, 2015, 04:14:52 am »

Oh? Do explain--

To me, it looks like this:

State governments are an intermediate sized body, with sufficient population and resources to permit some level of independent autonomy without resorting to rampant resource strife internally, while also keeping the costs of relocation of citizens to manageable levels.  This makes them the ideal size entity to cut off the progression toward centrality. Within the state, the state government is central, and defines all the laws. (Preventing intrastate strife)  The federal government is established via consensual agreement by the member states, and via this consent, administrates and arbitrates matters of interstate interest. (Criminals that have committed offenses in many states, rules concerning trade between states, foriegn acts of aggression against member states, et al.) The primacy of the state government over the fed in all other matters assures that the federal government does not continue to progression toward centrality.

As government becomes more and more central, the costs of migration to avoid tyranny become greater and greater. In the case of world government, the costs include leaving the planet's surface.

Thus, keeping the costs of migration at manageable levels is exactly the point of keeping the progression toward centrality pinioned past the state level, to maximize total idiological prosperity of the citizenry of the federation of states.

Thus, the fact that there is higher mobility of people between states than between countries IS EXACTLY THE POINT.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:19:39 am by wierd »

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: July 18, 2015, 04:30:22 am »

Let me get this straight...

According to wierd, blue states should be allowed to be secular democracies, just like the rest of the western world, while red states should be allowed to be Christian theocracies ruled by the American Taliban? And gay people who have been born and raised in a red state should simply bugger off from their homeland?

I've heard this argument countless times, always from people who self-identify as "libertarians" while being vehemently opposed to every notion of liberty and equality.   

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: July 18, 2015, 06:40:21 am »

Rolls eyes.

Here, I know anectdote does not equal evidence, but here's some food for thought for you.  My own state representative outright told his state's constituency that he was going to vote yes for NAFTA, despite the fact that the majority of his state population was against, because he personally thought it was a good idea.

1%er does not mean what you are trying so hard to make it mean.
Representative democracy is not direct democracy, and the will of the people is not absolute. And that's a good thing.
Quote from: Thomas Dehler
Darf ich ein ketzerisches Wort sagen: Ich glaube, man verkennt das Wesen der Demokratie, wenn man glaubt, das Parlament sei der Exekutor der Volksüberzeugung. Ich meine, das Wesen der repräsentativen Demokratie ist ein anderes, es ist das der parlamentarischen Aristokratie. Die Parlamentarier haben die Pflicht und die Möglichkeit, aus einer größeren Einsicht, aus einem besseren Wissen zu handeln, als es der einzelne kann.
This was a central piece in the last debate about the reintroduction of the death penalty in Germany. I trust that you can put it through Google Translate yourself.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: July 18, 2015, 08:11:03 am »

m8 if they're pulling a parliamentary aristocracy over there then they're already past the point of the polish commonwealth and are just waiting for mexico to turn into neoprussia

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: July 18, 2015, 10:19:59 am »

So how about Jeb Bush's disgusting amounts of money
eh
eh
* Twi wiggles eyebrows

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: July 18, 2015, 10:24:19 am »

parlamentarischen Aristokratie
oh Helgoland <3

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: July 18, 2015, 10:31:51 am »

I know, I know. There's a reason my sig is what it is.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: July 18, 2015, 12:34:24 pm »

If he weren't dead serious, that would be an amazing joke.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: July 18, 2015, 12:40:26 pm »

an amazing joke.
i dont think its fair to involve his hair

lets keep this about political stuff okay

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: July 18, 2015, 01:26:38 pm »

Trump has certainly shown his ability to burn bridges with abandon.....

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: July 18, 2015, 01:29:11 pm »

This gets even more complicated philosophically, because it is often considered to be unconscionable for one group to force its views and ideals onto another group, because this destroys one of the groups, and diminishes the spectrum of the human condition.

Disclaimer:  I haven't read beyond this post, so I'm sorry if someone beat me to this...

But Wierd, you answered your own question right here. 

Fundamental human rights (in theory as I understand them) are those which prevent humans from from forcing their views and ideals on others or subjecting them to unjustified violence and suffering.

The problem with your use of the concept of group autonomy is that no group is isolated enough to practice their own prejudices in concrete action, without also forcing their views and ideals on other groups or subjecting them to unjustified violence and suffering.  As society becomes more complex and integrated, it becomes more essential for exactly those reasons you are expressing concern over to discourage or eliminate actions rooted in prejudice.

Can you frame this in such a way that the immediate steps taken appear hypocritical?  Sure.  But that's easily done with just about any issue.  It's not hypocritical if you take a broader view of the ultimate goals and effects as related to the principles in question.

Edit:

Ok... I see there was already a really drawn out and unchill argument for about two pages... I knew there were some posts, but didn't know it had already gone that far when I made this one.  So sorry if I'm causing it to flare up further...

And I'd just like to add anyway that within the framing that accuses progressivism of hypocrisy, it is logically impossible for anyone to have any stance on the issue without engaging in that same definition of hyprocrisy.  So the accusation is rendered completely meaningless, in my opinion. 

"You're forcing your views on me by not allowing me to force my views on others, and that's wrong because people shouldn't force their views on each other."

Even if your goal is to allow individual cultures to flourish independently by creating more clearly defined spaces for them to operate how they please, that's still what the whole argument boils down to, when the primary features of those cultures that you (wierd) are suggesting deserves protection is their hostility towards other specific cultures and life choices.  It's all hypocrisy and absurdity when reduced, so I lean towards whichever side of the absurdity causes the least actual victimization of individuals.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 02:16:28 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: July 18, 2015, 02:40:38 pm »

Even if wierd is correct, most states have lots of laws. Regardless of how things shake down on any given issue, the sheer number of possible combinations over all issues means that there will usually not be a state available that suits all of a given person's preferences. This is why the rational response to a disliked law is to complain and try to get it changed, rather than to move somewhere else. As a civilization, we advance by having perspectives on issues like this compete in the form of debate and rhetoric, not in the form of natural-selection-through-population-density. There simply isn't enough variance to allow the latter to work.

The fact is that living in a society means you are inevitably going to have rules you don't like rammed down your throat. There's no way around that. Seems to me that the best way to handle it is to make sure those rules are the best rules possible, and that there are as few of them as possible. State governments are more easily co-opted than the Federal (not that the latter is particularly difficult at this point), and have an easier time passing unnecessary or harmful rules precisely because they deadlock less easily, so I don't see how they help.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 1342