Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 1342

Author Topic: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée  (Read 1545375 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Murrican Politics Megathread 2016: There Will Be Hell Toupée
« Reply #18285 on: May 24, 2016, 11:23:57 am »

While it might be true on an isolated, local level and while much of the poverty that exists today has roots in racist policies from the last century and thus overly affects minorities, it is pretty clearly a problem that exists among all races to some extent and fixing the economic issues would go a long way to helping fix attitudes in other areas.
It's also incredibly bloody clear that regardless as to if the problems are hitting all racial demographics, they're hitting specific ones very disproportionately harder and in a very much not localized or isolated way. Easing economic issues would indeed help turn back some of the attitudes involved, but they're not even remotely the whole of the problem. The USA really does still have a pretty substantial racism problem. Definitely less than it used to be, by significant margins (the last lynchings are almost out of living memory, iirc! Another decade or three to go.), but you basically have to be very willfully blind not see that shit's still stinking up the place.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18286 on: May 24, 2016, 11:30:35 am »

How many voters do you think are deciding their candidate based on how many people of their own race they can count in the campaign pictures?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18287 on: May 24, 2016, 11:31:20 am »

I wouldn't put it past most people to do exactly that, albiet subconsciously.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18288 on: May 24, 2016, 11:31:50 am »

While it might be true on an isolated, local level and while much of the poverty that exists today has roots in racist policies from the last century and thus overly affects minorities, it is pretty clearly a problem that exists among all races to some extent and fixing the economic issues would go a long way to helping fix attitudes in other areas.
It's also incredibly bloody clear that regardless as to if the problems are hitting all racial demographics, they're hitting specific ones very disproportionately harder and in a very much not localized or isolated way. Easing economic issues would indeed help turn back some of the attitudes involved, but they're not even remotely the whole of the problem. The USA really does still have a pretty substantial racism problem. Definitely less than it used to be, by significant margins (the last lynchings are almost out of living memory, iirc! Another decade or three to go.), but you basically have to be very willfully blind not see that shit's still stinking up the place.

The problem here isn't "Should we help poor black people or not?" Obviously we should help them... along with anyone else that's poor. The problem is the message you start sending if you focus on the message of "We're going to help black people." You start alienating your other demographics.

As for cultural racism, that's just going to take time... but singling out a race at the expense of other races is not going to help that attitude.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18289 on: May 24, 2016, 11:40:42 am »

How many voters do you think are deciding their candidate based on how many people of their own race they can count in the campaign pictures?
* Egan takes a picture of a parade and puts it on his campaign site.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18290 on: May 24, 2016, 11:55:25 am »

http://sites.duke.edu/2014bmp/files/2014/10/Boudreau_Elmendorf_MacKenzie_Duke_2014_final.pdf

If you interpret "there are lots of black people in these photos with Hillary, and few or none in these pictures with Bernie" as an "endorsement", then yeah.
I'd be fascinated to see the literature on people's voting habits based on racial representation in campaign photos (I'm sure somebody's done a study...)

I know they've already done studies on voting habits with racial representation of the candidates (newsflash: ALL demographics are less likely to vote for a candidate the darker you make their skin).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18291 on: May 24, 2016, 01:23:01 pm »

I don't know how comparable that study is. I think most people are well enough aware of staged photoshoots to not interpret a shot of Hillary surrounded by black people similarly to an explicit endorsement from a black civil rights group. While I'm sure some votes are affected by the former, I doubt it's many. It's probably not enough to make up for the votes she loses by obviously pandering.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18292 on: May 24, 2016, 01:28:49 pm »

You have a lot more faith in the electorate than I do.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #18293 on: May 24, 2016, 01:30:21 pm »

the bullshit the Bernie Bros tried to pull in Nevada.
As I've said before, what happened at the county conventions was not due to any improper behavior on the part of Sanders supporters; a number of Clinton's delegates simply did not show up to vote.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18294 on: May 24, 2016, 01:47:37 pm »

... uh, wasn't maniac talking more about the whole revote and whatnot stuff? Where Sanders supporters were both rather raucous and trying to rejigger the rules and all that mess.
Ask not!
Ask!

Andux

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:semicolons]
    • View Profile
    • Andux's DFWiki page
« Reply #18295 on: May 24, 2016, 02:48:39 pm »

The state convention? I've posted about that before:
And they have the fucking gall to do things like try and overturn the majority vote in Nevada and complain they are being discriminated against!  Fucking shameless.  They try and disenfranchise people and then claim they are the victims.
They didn't "try and disenfranchise people" in Nevada; they gained a few delegates at the county level simply because they showed up for the county conventions when a bunch of Hillary's people didn't. Debate the fairness of that if you will, but don't try to blame the Sanders campaign for the flaws of the convention system.

As far as the state convention goes, this article (and the video at the end) gives a good summary of why people are pissed off about it (TL;DR: Disregard procedure, acquire boos). In another video, Dan Rolle, a congressional candidate who was at the convention, goes into more detail on the procedural stuff.

The whole thing reminds me of this bullshit in 2012.

Since then, Snopes has debunked the chair-throwing claim, and Barbara Boxer's claim that she feared for her safety is also looking shaky; there's video of her sarcastically blowing kisses at the Bernie crowd as she leaves the convention. A few assholes have engaged in threats and harassment, but the Sanders campaign has released an official statement which condemns their actions:
Within the last few days there have been a number of criticisms made against my campaign organization. Party leaders in Nevada, for example, claim that the Sanders campaign has a ‘penchant for violence.’ That is nonsense. Our campaign has held giant rallies all across this country, including in high-crime areas, and there have been zero reports of violence. Our campaign of course believes in non-violent change and it goes without saying that I condemn any and all forms of violence, including the personal harassment of individuals.
(Do not sign anything.) -- Fell, Planescape: Torment

MADMAN · Save Tools · WTF Tools · Generated Raws Extractor · Tweak for 0.31–34.xx

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #18296 on: May 24, 2016, 03:03:10 pm »

This article is a good summary of the false claims of corruption (several of which are cited as true in your first article) and the attempts by Bernie supporters to sneak in last minute rules changes and things.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 04:31:14 pm by penguinofhonor »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18297 on: May 24, 2016, 04:27:15 pm »

I'm just waiting for Clinton to announce that she has cancer  and is dropping out, five minutes before Sanders declares defeat, because this US election cycle is like a bad TV show and there's no way they'd miss a twist like that.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #18298 on: May 24, 2016, 04:54:12 pm »

Since then, Snopes has debunked the chair-throwing claim, and Barbara Boxer's claim that she feared for her safety is also looking shaky; there's video of her sarcastically blowing kisses at the Bernie crowd as she leaves the convention. A few assholes have engaged in threats and harassment,

If you talk about a claim of corruption and then say "oh wait but other bad shit happens" that doesn't make you right.  It means you are moving the goalposts.  Nobody here was talking about a goddamn chair.
It's a broken record.  You make an accusation of corruption.  You move the goalposts.  And then you claim you were right about the original point of corruption despite having just talked about something completely different.

but the Sanders campaign has released an official statement which condemns their actions:

Sanders issued a statement where he said that he was right and the DNC was wrong and claimed to be the victim:
https://berniesanders.com/press-release/statement-nevada/

"I condemn any and all forms of violence, including the personal harassment of individuals. But, when we speak of violence, I should add here that months ago, during the Nevada campaign, shots were fired into my campaign office in Nevada and apartment housing complex my campaign staff lived in was broken into and ransacked."

Because it's never his fault.  He can do no wrong.

I'm sure he meant "parasite" and "hijack" in the nicest way.

No I didn't.  What I meant to say is that the Bernie hurts the democratic party and then turns around and asks people who have worked for the party for a long time to help him.  He is a parasite, hurting the host to help himself.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 05:05:57 pm by mainiac »
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18299 on: May 24, 2016, 06:23:24 pm »

Oh hey, TV said Trump's stated he'll release tax forms just as soon as the IRS finishes a purported audit.

Considering the IRS legally (so far as I'm aware, anyway) can't disclose basically any information on an individual tax payer, including if they're under audit or, if so, when or if it's done, it's almost cunning, in a sort of hamhanded way. He can lie out his ass and the only people that can call him on it are legally bound not to. Is neat-ish trick, though now that I think on it actually sorta' common, particularly for the conservative side of the spectrum in recent years.

Also one week to go on that stated economic policy deadline. C'moooon next tuesday!
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1218 1219 [1220] 1221 1222 ... 1342