Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon mod, need some advice.  (Read 5136 times)

Plump Helmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon mod, need some advice.
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:48:06 pm »

I'm making a mod based loosely on the universe of the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. It was inevitable.

For those who aren't sure what Pokémon Mystery Dungeon is, this would mean a world inhabited entirely by sentient Pokémon with no humans (or dwarves) at all. For those who aren't sure what Pokémon is... what rock have you been living under? : P As of right now, I'm shooting for releasing updates by "generation". Each release of the mod will have every Pokémon from that generation plus their direct evolutionary relatives from later games (e.g. the first release will have every one from Red, Green, Blue, and Yellow plus a few others like Pichu and Electivire).

I've got most of the mod figured out already, but here's my main question: how will evolution via level up work (or should it be implemented at all)? The way I have it set up right now is that each Pokémon who can evolve by level up begins with a syndrome that will automatically transform them into their evolved form after a number of years, but I'm certain there's a more efficient way of doing that. One of the quandaries of adapting an RPG to DF's format, I guess...

Any advice would be welcome.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:50:51 pm by Plump Helmet »

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Pokemon Mystery Dungeon mod, need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 07:28:17 pm »

A big rock!

As for the other question, the answer is probably DFhack, but my skill there are sorely lacking so I can't tell you much more.

Also your going to run into things like 'How the hell do Pokemon reproduce?'. Have fun :)
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 08:19:58 pm »

There's a dfhack plugin which introduces a class system based on experience that can be gained by kills or reactions that are specified to give experience. It also allows interactions to be given on level up so you could give the creatures an interaction to transform once they reach a certain level. Unlike most dfhack plugins using it involves modding in a format very similar to the standard Dwarf Fortress raws so you should be able to figure it out. It's in the utilities and 3rd party applications subboard the thread is something like Rose's DFhack plugins.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:44:17 pm »

'How the hell do Pokemon reproduce?'

eggs

There's a dfhack plugin which introduces a class system based on experience that can be gained by kills or reactions that are specified to give experience. It also allows interactions to be given on level up so you could give the creatures an interaction to transform once they reach a certain level. Unlike most dfhack plugins using it involves modding in a format very similar to the standard Dwarf Fortress raws so you should be able to figure it out. It's in the utilities and 3rd party applications subboard the thread is something like Rose's DFhack plugins.

it's a script and it's Roses' DFhack scripts

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:42:59 pm »

Does this technically mean all Pokemon technically count as a single creature, and every individual species is actually a caste? A world containing a single species with over a thousand castes, now that's something.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 01:37:40 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Totally sick! All I had to do was read that title and I was like "YES YES YES!"

I've played PMD: Blue Rescue Team and PMD: Explorers of Sky so I'm a huge fan of the series. With good execution, I could see this mod meshing very well with the tone of Dwarf Fortress. Stealthy Weaviles, fire-breathing Charizards, insanely overpowered Magikarps...I could see this mod working. Oh, but if I were you, I would start small to keep from overwhelming yourself. Start with the Kanto starters, release that, and get some feedback from people. From there, slowly expand until you have all of the original 151 Pokemon. Make sure you focus on quality over quantity.

I don't know that much about modding, but I have a hunch that evolution could work in the same way that heroes work in Vanilla DF. If a Pokemon becomes a Legendary fighter, they could change into their next evolution and be reset to back to 0 exp. And if they reach Legendary again, they go to their final evolution. For Pokemon that evolve via items, you could make them endgame craftables at some sort of a workshop. And for Pokemon that evolve via friendship, they should reach X happiness and remain there for a long time.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 02:35:23 am »

Heroes don't work that way in vanilla DF...

And you can't really have anything happen upon skill stuff.

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 02:54:19 am »

Semantics, semantics. The point I'm trying to get at is that instead of something based off of syndromes, there could be a skill-based system.

I don't know that much about modding, but I have a hunch that evolution could work in the same way that similarly to how heroes work in Vanilla DF.

Happy?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:55:53 am by DragonDePlatino »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 03:04:33 am »

There could not be a skill-based system is what I said in my second sentence.

Rydel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 12:07:42 pm »

'How the hell do Pokemon reproduce?'

eggs

Let us not forget that, per the games, even Pokémon breeders don't know how Pokémon reproduction works.  And considering a Whalord cand impregnate a Skitty, that's not too surprising.

I too want to try this mod when it comes out

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2015, 05:59:52 pm »

Good luck with this, I'd certainly play it!

I made an old Pokemon mod for 0.34. If you're willing to update the creature raws, you're more than welcome to use them, though it may just be better to start from scratch at this point.

I fiddled around with a lot of options regarding evolution, but I could never figure out a way to cause transformation to be based on 'experience' or skill gain or anything like that. The closest I got was a trying to use a counter-based syndrome delivered by an interaction triggered by ATTACK (meaning activated by combat), but as of 0.34, ATTACK interactions didn't work if they were self-targeting.

I was more focused on Fort Mode, so I settled on a self-targeted interaction causing a time-based syndrome that would evolve them after a few years (or months if it was a Weedle). I gave each evolution their own caste within the creature and gave the base evolution an absurdly high POP_RATIO, so only the basic Pokemon would pop out of the eggs, but the higher evolutions could still breed with each other and produce basic eggs.

Hope that made some sense. Let me know if I can be of any help!

gammaflux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 11:13:27 pm »

I'm not sure my idea would exactly work as I don't know very much about modding, but perhaps you could base evolution on the number of kills one has? (I doubt it though)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 11:36:19 pm »

I'm not sure my idea would exactly work as I don't know very much about modding, but perhaps you could base evolution on the number of kills one has? (I doubt it though)
You can actually. Not with standard Dwarf Fortress, but the Roses' SCRIPT collection has that script that can add in classes and experience, with experience being based on kills. Each class could then get a reaction to transform into it's next evolution at a certain amount of experience. I remember there being something about only being able to transform once with standard transformations, but I also remember a workaround so it should be fine. I don't know if specific classes can be automatically assigned to creatures, but it is a DFhack script so if you knew the programming language used for them I'm sure it would be possible. It would require learning whatever the programming language is if you don't know it and making a LOT of classes.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

gammaflux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 11:47:59 pm »

You can actually. Not with standard Dwarf Fortress, but the Roses' SCRIPT collection has that script that can add in classes and experience, with experience being based on kills. Each class could then get a reaction to transform into it's next evolution at a certain amount of experience. I remember there being something about only being able to transform once with standard transformations, but I also remember a workaround so it should be fine. I don't know if specific classes can be automatically assigned to creatures, but it is a DFhack script so if you knew the programming language used for them I'm sure it would be possible. It would require learning whatever the programming language is if you don't know it and making a LOT of classes.

Well now I feel useful! :D
Perhaps it would be possible to give 'evolution exp' based off of both kills, and notable kills. Or by race or something. Either way it would be pretty awesome.

Edit: Just noticed you actually had that idea right from the start, so nevermind then, I'm not as useful as I thought I was.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 11:49:36 pm by gammaflux »

Samoset

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 09:23:44 am »

I remember there being special foods giving benefits upon consumption in the Rise of the Mushroom Kingdom mod. Evolution based or partially based on consumption of rare foodstuffs could be an option.
Since pokemon have to eat and cannot be easily be induced to eat, evolving after X number of rare meals could be an alternative system.

If evolution is triggered by kills, non-military pokemon will seldom evolve unlesss the player is working the system. That could become very micro-management heavy if someone wants to evolve all the pokemon in their fort.
Pages: [1] 2