Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Most EPIC HFS fight ever!  (Read 10281 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Most EPIC HFS fight ever!
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 03:50:02 am »

Dorf/dorf, would read again.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 07:13:25 am »

After hearing that he claimed a magma forge, I kind of guessed what the ending was. The fact that it was a shield was what surprised me, though. Although I do think StagnantSoul's advice is relevant. A long enough column of spikes can do a lot to defeat demons, and with the right setup you could even have captured a demon and put it in it's own glass terrarium. It's building-destroyer-nature would mean that dwarves wouldn't actually be able to see it, but it's the thought of a pet demon that counts. Also, captured goblins are surprisingly good at dealing with demons. A large enough group will slaughter enough demons that you should be able to kill the remaining ones easily, even without the other preparations named above.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 03:00:36 pm »

Makes you wonder how the fight would have turned out if he wasn't screwing around with the forge for most of it.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 03:04:45 pm »

But then he wouldn't have the awesome shield.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 04:56:25 pm »

Adamantine is a bit lightweight, he probably would've killed them even faster with a silver or steel warhammer, though I don't know how the artifact-quality affects shield bashing...

All in all, it seems to have worked out, now you just have to set up a flood system to wash all the syndrome-inducing blood back into hell...

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2015, 07:52:34 pm »

Adamantine is a bit lightweight, he probably would've killed them even faster with a silver or steel warhammer, though I don't know how the artifact-quality affects shield bashing...

All in all, it seems to have worked out, now you just have to set up a flood system to wash all the syndrome-inducing blood back into hell...
A simple but stirring tale about the power of beast blood.  Let this serve as a warning to others; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xoCnLIzu9o

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 01:42:18 am »

That was a fun read. Faults aside, it was told well. It also somewhat read like a historical artifact article in a museum. I can imagine seeing that shield on display with that to read about it.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 04:18:51 pm »

That was a fun read. Faults aside, it was told well. It also somewhat read like a historical artifact article in a museum. I can imagine seeing that shield on display with that to read about it.

Yes, it would be great if we could author our own histories of artifacts, sometimes, on slabs in the display cases for artifacts. That would rock.

...Then again, we need artifact display cases, as well. Irritating that.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2015, 08:07:54 pm »

The stand is the easy part. Being able to write our own histories needs some Toady Coding.

20firebird

• Bay Watcher
  • how did i get here
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2015, 12:57:42 pm »

Was expecting something funny from the clickbait-y title, found something far better.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2015, 03:14:02 pm »

The fact that addy is so light makes this Grand feat all that much more impressive.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2015, 03:34:23 pm »

That is really cool. But I guess those are just decorations, or do they really hurt the target?

If spikes hurt the target, they should also possibly hurt the wielder and any passing animals, dwarves or furniture. A spiky boss on a shield can help for bashing, but spiky armour is stupid because it can potentially damage the wearer and his comrades just as much as the enemy, and catches blows rather than deflecting them, taking more blunt damage.

Spikes should stay purely cosmetic unless their horrible flaws are implemented too.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2015, 06:08:16 pm »

That is really cool. But I guess those are just decorations, or do they really hurt the target?

If spikes hurt the target, they should also possibly hurt the wielder and any passing animals, dwarves or furniture. A spiky boss on a shield can help for bashing, but spiky armour is stupid because it can potentially damage the wearer and his comrades just as much as the enemy, and catches blows rather than deflecting them, taking more blunt damage.

Spikes should stay purely cosmetic unless their horrible flaws are implemented too.
To be fair, a lot of spikes are just made of material stuck on to the armor, they would probably break off if they were pushed on too hard. Artifacts are of course indestructible, so they would always damage exterior creatures, including animals and dwarves the wearer is walking past, but for most stuff it seems like the spikes should just break off if something hits the object...

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2015, 06:37:10 pm »

The material of the spikes should matter in that case. Objects for practical use, including armour, should generally not be spiked; telling dwarves what can and cannot be spiked would be a useful future feature.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2015, 07:15:55 pm »

Could you post the description of the artifact, please?  I have... plans for it...
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 [2] 3